Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Exactly We shouldnt be scared to sign better players than Firmino and even Coutinho

Either they will fight for their place and get even better or else the better player will play.

Plus a game isnt only 11 men anymore. Subs are vital. If Firmino or Hendo or Mane is tired we can start them from the bench and bring them on to replace our new people.

our bench has been shocking the last couple of years so we need to fix that by signing players that could potentially take our best players out of the first team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mr.H wrote: »
    Exactly We shouldnt be scared to sign better players than Firmino and even Coutinho

They're hardly irreplaceable.

When they're scoring or assisting 40+ goals a season like the big boys we can worry about unsettling them.

mada999 wrote: »
    I think we need to win the nearly all of our remaining games to secure top 4.. UTD no out of it yet at all....

I can see where you are coming from, Utd 6 pts behind us with 2 games in hand and Zlatan to come back into the team. they are mot definitely not out of it.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Probably need 6 wins from the 8 remaining I'd say or around the 17 point mark to be sure.

Indeed, 76 pts should do it
    Will Firmino be happy to be on bench week in week out, will Henderson be happy to keep him company, will Lovern also be happy...........
    Will Firmino and Co be happy with a run out against a non league side away from home in Pepsi Cola Cup. The next step that we seem unwilling to take for years now requires us to drop Firmino, drop Henderson, drop Lovern, drop Midnolet and put them all on bench and sign quality players to replace them and to turn us into a formidable side with no weaknesses.

38 PL games and a CL group stages (worse case scenario EL). Plenty of games. Realistically we aren't going to seriously upgrade on Firmino or Henderson and whoever we get won't be playing all 38 PL games and all the European games.

As we learned in Jan & Feb......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

This just makes our win today all the sweeter. How's them lemons?
    https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/848207790971666432

Gbear wrote: »
    They're hardly irreplaceable.

When they're scoring or assisting 40+ goals a season like the big boys we can worry about unsettling them.

Exactly. We need to be ruthless and take that next step.

I just hope that we were holding back the cash last season to make a real go when we had CL again. Then again I wont hold my breath :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    This just makes our win today all the sweeter. How's them lemons?
    https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/848207790971666432

He is pathetic. When he parks the bus its "tactics" but if anyone else does it he is bitter.

Ironic that the Portuguese Pulis is bitter about Pulis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was doing exams today, so off to read the match thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

When i read the league tables i always presume that the teams will win their games in hand, and having said that, that puts us 6th if utd win well in their two games, and with our toughest fixtures still to come i'm not counting my elephants just yet.

Borntobywilde makes a good point, if we are going to win a league in the next few years do you think we'll win one with Firmino, Hendo, Lovren, in the team? If i was brutally honest with myself i'd have to say no.
    Those players have served the club well, any nobody doubts their commitment, on their day that can do a job for you, but we need someone that will do a job for you EVERY day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

When i read the league tables i always presume that the teams will win their games in hand, and having said that, that puts us 6th if utd win well in their two games, and with our toughest fixtures still to come i'm not counting my elephants just yet.

Borntobywilde makes a good point, if we are going to win a league in the next few years do you think we'll win one with Firmino, Hendo, Lovren, in the team? If i was brutally honest with myself i'd have to say no.
    Those players have served the club well, any nobody doubts their commitment, on their day that can do a job for you, but we need someone that will do a job for you EVERY day.

No we will be still ahead off utd in goal difference

Edt: i just seen you said win well my bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not sure what way i want the result to go tomorrow.

Any result is kinda win win for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Vicxas wrote: »
    Not sure what way i want the result to go tomorrow.

Any result is kinda win win for us.

Arsenal win is worst for us I think. Puts them right back into it.

I'd be happy enough with a draw or City win, Arsenal need to be removed from the likely top 4 places rather than seeing the top 6 squeeze together again. City play Chelsea midweek so if Conte's side get back on their horse and Liverpool manage to beat Bournemouth (if if if) then it starts to look quite good - Man Utd play Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Arsenal win is worst for us I think. Puts them right back into it.

Yeah 4th is the goal and the best chance we have is to just stay ahead of Arsenal and United.

Can we win the league with those players? Yes

Can we win the league with those being our most important players? No

They are above average players who would be great "other players"

A team cant be just all world class stars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Anything but an Arsenal win, 0-0 would be my choice but failing that 0-1 City would do.

I expect City to pull away in their remaining games as they've threatened to do all season, spurs are clear. It's going to be a 3 horse race for 4th, us, utd, and the gooners.

Yea I'd rather City win their games than drop points to Arsenal. If City won all their games that would include beating both United and Arsenal.

I'd take 4th right now ahead of fighting for 3rd (automatic place)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

City aren't going anywhere but a CL-less Arsenal with potentially Wenger going, and all their good players, could leave them in the wilderness for a few seasons.

There's too much competition. One dropping out completely would be a huge boost for the next few seasons.

Although, as the team that's the best at beating the rest of the top 6, maybe we're better off in a strong league?
    They'll take points off each other but give all their points to us.

Gbear wrote: »
    City aren't going anywhere but a CL-less Arsenal with potentially Wenger going, and all their good players, could leave them in the wilderness for a few seasons.

There's too much competition. One dropping out completely would be a huge boost for the next few seasons.

Although, as the team that's the best at beating the rest of the top 6, maybe we're better off in a strong league?
    They'll take points off each other but give all their points to us.

I just hope to god that Klopp will be trying to find a solution to our bottom half troubles during the summer.

Maybe its a top class center back or maybe its a top class striker. Could be both or neither. I just hope that we actually try to resolve it rather than just play through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I just hope to god that Klopp will be trying to find a solution to our bottom half troubles during the summer.

Maybe its a top class center back or maybe its a top class striker. Could be both or neither. I just hope that we actually try to resolve it rather than just play through it

Striker I think. Doing well to be so high in the table without a proper striker

sword1 wrote: »
    Striker I think. Doing well to be so high in the table without a proper striker

We are but when we struggle to break teams down such as Burnley. Having 20+ shots and not able to win wouldnt happen if we had someone clinical that could score with one or two chances.

Our issue is we need to create loads of chances (which we do) to score

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I know we get criticised for not having a plan b but atleast we have a plan a.

I know we get criticised for not having a plan b but atleast we have a plan a.

Just because we are a better team than certain teams doesnt mean we should settle :D

We havent won the league yet

We appear be wearing loose trousers and no belt in these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Yea I'd rather City win their games than drop points to Arsenal. If City won all their games that would include beating both United and Arsenal.

I'd take 4th right now ahead of fighting for 3rd (automatic place)

The only issue with 4th is that Utd are odds on to win the Europa League, which would be a sickner of epic proportions if we were to loose out on the CL spot and they came, potentially, 6th in the league....

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    [/B]

The only issue with 4th is that Utd are odds on to win the Europa League, which would be a sickner of epic proportions if we were to loose out on the CL spot and they came, potentially, 6th in the league....

For the last time we'll still get CL if they win Europa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Oopps - didn't know they had changed that - does 4th go into a lower qualifying round then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oopps - didn't know they had changed that - does 4th go into a lower qualifying round then?

Utd are ****e anyway they are the least of our worrys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

IN cup games maybe. Would be hard to drop quality in Champions League if we are in it.
    Will Firmino and Co be happy with a run out against a non league side away from home in Pepsi Cola Cup. The next step that we seem unwilling to take for years now requires us to drop Firmino, drop Henderson, drop Lovern, drop Midnolet and put them all on bench and sign quality players to replace them and to turn us into a formidable side with no weaknesses.

Oh give over will ya. You make it sound like we will have a mutiny on our hands if we sign a few players, with all the games we would have next season if we make into Europe?? You say Firmino will only get a game in January in the league cup if we sign a striker. Come on!! Even if we did sign a striker better than Firmino(first if) and then IF he came straight in and hit the ground running and IF he was able to stay injury free for the entire season we would still have plenty more games for Fun Bobby to play in throughout the season. Other squads have arguably better players than Firmino sitting on their benches without constant moaning. Same goes for almost every other player mentioned in your list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Any news being leaked out about Mane the Sunday papers must close to getting the last news of the day from the club.

• Advertisement

If only....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

[/B]

I think unless both the Europa league AND champions league winners are from England 4th gets a spot . 5 from any one country allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mormank wrote: »
    If only....:rolleyes:
    It should be stickied at the top of every page:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

cjmc wrote: »
    I think unless both the Europa league AND champions league winners are from England 4th gets a spot . 5 from any one country allowed

So, Leicester and Utd have to win both Euro comps for LFC to miss out if they finish 4th. Would be some dose! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Oh give over will ya. You make it sound like we will have a mutiny on our hands if we sign a few players, with all the games we would have next season if we make into Europe?? You say Firmino will only get a game in January in the league cup if we sign a striker. Come on!! Even if we did sign a striker better than Firmino(first if) and then IF he came straight in and hit the ground running and IF he was able to stay injury free for the entire season we would still have plenty more games for Fun Bobby to play in throughout the season. Other squads have arguably better players than Firmino sitting on their benches without constant moaning. Same goes for almost every other player mentioned in your list.

Firmino was signed to replace or compete with Lallana, Lallana stepped up big time to protect his place. Firmino is a midfielder. If we did sign a striker who starts every game then Firmino is out of team, or he will have to compete in his natural position for a spot in midfield. We never did used him for the reason we bought him, we didn't buy him to play as a striker that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

What a picture this is. Credit to The Anfield Wrap.

P170401-055-Liverpool_Everton-1.jpg

• Advertisement

There were pictures of Mane outside Anfield chatting and signing autographs, people said he was walking fine, in good spirits and didn't have any crutches.

Firmino was signed to replace or compete with Lallana, Lallana stepped up big time to protect his place. Firmino is a midfielder. If we did sign a striker who starts every game then Firmino is out of team, or he will have to compete in his natural position for a spot in midfield. We never did used him for the reason we bought him, we didn't buy him to play as a striker that's for sure.

Everything is so binary with you! Firmino was signed without Rodgers even knowing his best position. He was played all over the place in his first 6 months with us so how you can claim to know he was bought to replace Lallana really is beyond me. Since then lallana has stepped up in a different position anyway to the one he filled when Firmino was signed so if anything if just disproves your theory even more by showing that rather than being replaced by said striker maybe he will just make another position his own, squeezing out a weaker player at the same time.
    Anyway point is, everything is not as black and white as you are trying to make out. Even if we signed Aguero Firmino would get plenty more games than 1 or 2 league cup games and to claim anything different simply displays a huge dearth in footballing knowledge imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

C8Vw12xXoAEoKCE.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

There were pictures of Mane outside Anfield chatting and signing autographs, people said he was walking fine, in good spirits and didn't have any crutches.

If theres anything wrong with you now they usually stick you in a cam walker (ortho boot). Apparently he was dragging a suitcase with him. Based on how they look after players these days i'd say there's a chance he could even be on the bench midweek given the state of numbers in our squad.

daithijjj wrote: »
    If theres anything wrong with you now they usually stick you in a cam walker (ortho boot). Apparently he was dragging a suitcase with him. Based on how they look after players these days i'd say there's a chance he could even be on the bench midweek given the state of numbers in our squad.

If he's actually okay that would be a massive relief.

• Advertisement

So long as he not deaded Sturridged I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

MOTD is about to start, for those looking for some entertainment of a Saturday night.

We're on 2nd after Palace victory over Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Think they were watching the final few minutes of the Utd game there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Everything is so binary with you! Firmino was signed without Rodgers even knowing his best position. He was played all over the place in his first 6 months with us so how you can claim to know he was bought to replace Lallana really is beyond me. Since then lallana has stepped up in a different position anyway to the one he filled when Firmino was signed so if anything if just disproves your theory even more by showing that rather than being replaced by said striker maybe he will just make another position his own, squeezing out a weaker player at the same time.
    Anyway point is, everything is not as black and white as you are trying to make out. Even if we signed Aguero Firmino would get plenty more games than 1 or 2 league cup games and to claim anything different simply displays a huge dearth in footballing knowledge imo.

Just in that striker role. If we sign Aubameyang for example and he is fit and firing then I don't see Firmino keeping that central role in league or Champions League. I agree Firmino could get games, he's have to compete elsewhere if we do get that star striker we so need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Watching MOTD do we have to play Palace again?

They look classy.

Sick watching Sakho play so well.

I really hope Klopp reconsiders.

Sakho was brilliant

Sakho was incredible today, let's just hope they become so reliant on him that they're fecked when we play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Yeah a great performance by Sakho. Would be great if there could be a clear the air talk at the end of the season.

Palace have won 4 games in a row with Sakho and conceded 1 goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

6252715_orig.jpg

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement