Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The way he went down, it really looked like he was done for the season. You could argue he's our most important player as well, so that'll be massive if confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

J Mysterio wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/848474766851932160/photo/1

Allardyce after Sakho receives Palace POTM:

"His future doesn't look as if it is at Liverpool. He's enjoying his football and his life here. He's brought that resilience to the team by leading by example. He's taking a commanding role in his performance and the information he's giving out on the field. That has helped with our defensive resilience: one goal conceded in four games."

It's easy for Allardyce to be smug, he's been thrown a lifeline by Palace and he's taken a punt on Sakho which had worked out so far.

No one ever questioned Sakho's defensive ability and commitment on the field but he was clearly disruptive off the field which combined with his stupid "dietary pills" fiasco which was a total unauthorised solo run by him and a major disciplinary offence regardless of the fact he dodged a major WADA/FIFA bullet on a what was more of a technicality than anything else then you can easily see why Klopp decided to get rid.

He's in the last chance saloon playing for his future so it's not a surprise he's put in a few good performances at Palace but that does not equate to him doing the same throughout the season for us if he'd stayed. Chances are he'd have continued to be disruptive whilst still playing well when selected.

I argued several weeks ago that I hope he has matured enough to accept his previous behaviour was not acceptable and apologises in a meaningful way to Klopp and that Klopp is big enough to accept the apology, wipe the slate clean and give him another chance

Win win for the player and club.

Chances of it happening? 25%???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bollox anyway. Time to call up TAA as an emergency winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Bollox anyway. Time to call up TAA as an emergency winger.

I think thats where he'll end up playing in the long term, he offers more going forward than he does defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

TAA is the way to go for me. While Lallana is out too Coutinho can drop into midfield, Firmino on the left Origi central and TAA on the right.

Oh there is no doubt about that, he's Liverpool's Bale! Well maybe not that good but that sort of thing - full back, winger, then attacking wide man.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just check this thread for that sort of thing, the numbers are also more accurate unless Statto is wrong.

I'm guessing, given the discrepancies, that it is a like for like comparison based on the teams we've played (and substituting promoted/relegated teams) rather than just a 'first 30 games of the season' thing like yours was.

Ah could be so, fair enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

That's a disaster for us. Lallana and now Mane gone more or less for the rest of the season if reports are accurate. It's all on Coutinho now!

Still, Sturridge is back in full training eh?

Mig
    Clyne-Matip-Lovren-Milner
    Lucas (cos he's back apparently!)
    Grujic-Wiji
    Coutinho
    Origi-Firmino

sort of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I've only seen clips of him at Palace , he's all over the shop yet effective. It's a crazy way to play football/ everything he does has 75% risk attached yet he manages to get away with his play.

He moves like a spider and kicks ball like a mule, a highly accurate mule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Still, Sturridge is back in full training eh?

Heard he caught a head cold.

How long out for concussion again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

On Sakho he hasn't played a real *competitive game in close to a year and has strolled into that Palace team and looks like he hasn't missed a beat.

I imagine that is super hard to do and a credit to him as an athlete and a footballer.

*Under 23 games don't count there just glorified training games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Origi should lead line, play Firmino in Mane's role , or play Coutinho in Mane's role. The goal he scored for Brazil came from him coming down the right and cutting in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

On Sakho he hasn't played a real *competitive game in close to a year and has strolled into that Palace team and looks like he hasn't missed a beat.

I imagine that is super hard to do and a credit to him as an athlete and a footballer.

Watched the highlights of that game on MOTD and they gave him a pass for the Chelsea goal when he should have intercepted the cross or run. He switched off and that's always the risk with him. But he looked solid the rest of the time, it kinda reminded me of some of his EL performances last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Pity it regularly took him 5+ games to get up to speed for us though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Pity it regularly took him 5+ games to get up to speed for us though!

That seems to be a trend with our players coming back from an absence Coutinho, Can, Firmino, Origi all seem to take a couple of games to get upto match speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

It's a sad state of affairs that we cant play Moreno for a few games and move Milner into a position he has played his whole career.

I can only see Origi coming in for Mane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ballague truly is a seer.

Several top clubs want to sign Rodriquez. He'll sign for one of them.

Top insight, Guillem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

daithijjj wrote: »
    It's a sad state of affairs that we cant play Moreno for a few games and move Milner into a position he has played his whole career.

I'd rather see Clyne at LB and TAA at RB, to move Milner forward, if that's what's to be done. Or just play Moreno at outside left in the front three.

He has played most of his career as a RM. Only one season at Villa where he got a regular run in CM.

corwill wrote: »
    I'd rather see Clyne at LB and TAA at RB, to move Milner forward, if that's what's to be done. Or just play Moreno at outside left in the front three.

I dont disagree. I was just implying that the player makes the bench in the last game and would only get minutes now if everyone else was sick or dead. Ergo our bench is pathetic for a club of our stature.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He has played most of his career as a RM. Only one season at Villa where he got a regular run in CM.

Mane doesnt play CM (not in any game ive watched)?

Milner has played as wing forward plenty over his career and has played plenty on the left too. A perfect example would be scoring the winning goal for City in the CL away at Bayern as a left wing forward. His ability to do this has resulted in him currently finding himself as makeshift for us (on the left).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

That seems to be a trend with our players coming back from an absence Coutinho, Can, Firmino, Origi all seem to take a couple of games to get upto match speed.

Well you could argue that it is more down to how we play v how palace play rather than the players themselves imo.

Milner didn't play any single position for his whole career.

He was here in the City West in Dublin playing the JP Poker Masters at the Irish Poker Open and actually ended up finishing 2nd! :eek:

Mane doesnt play CM (not in any game ive watched)?

Milner has played as wing forward plenty over his career and has played plenty on the left too. A perfect example would be scoring the winning goal for City in the CL away at Bayern as a left wing forward. His ability to do this has resulted in him currently finding himself as makeshift for us (on the left).
    :confused: Never mentioned anything about Mane playing as a CM.

Milner has never played as a Right wing forward as City never played 4-3-3. Always played deeper played as an RM. In our 4-3-3 formation I don't think Milner us suited to playing as a wide player.
    Origi is probably our best option as a wide forward as he has pace & maybe Sturridge if he can get fit soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Augeo wrote: »

Hopefully just click bait - last thing we need with Hendo and Lallana on their holiers in Miami....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Hopefully just click bait - last thing we need with Hendo and Lallana on their holiers in Miami....

Klopp:

"I don't want to speculate"
    "He has pain"
    "He's not comfortable"

Article:
    "Mane is not on crutches and there is no suggestion he has damaged his cruciate ligament."
    "He insisted he was OK after the game"

Headline:

MANE'S SEASON COULD BE OVER

Patience, like. Presser this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think Mane will only miss 2 games at most, I did see that earlier but I don't think that is the case....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Klopp seems to suggest Sturridge is available for Bournemouth

Cracks me up, he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NukaCola wrote: »
    Someone on Reddit done last seasons 30 games versus this seasons 30 games EPL comparison for Klopp. The improvements made are impressive. Slightly off that 2 ppg we need to hit regularly but I am quite happy with the job Klopps doing. Hopefully this improvement can continue.

Season P W D L F A GD CS Win % Pts
    Overall 60 30 17 13 119 77 42 15 50 107
    2015-16 30 13 9 8 55 40 15 8 43 48
    2016-17 30 17 8 5 64 37 27 7 57 59

A useful validation of Klopp's work thus far. That said, despite a decent ppg improvement there is a zero sum game of top four / outside top four that will colour perceptions of his progress at season's end. And rightly in my view. For, while we've made strides, there is no doubt in my mind that points have been left on the table throughout the season due to inability to freshen up the XI and poor basic defensive capability. Klopp bears some responsibility for both issues.

There is also the fact that, understanding our historic issues against non elite teams, we have a relatively kind eight game run in and therefore the ability to grasp the moment has presented itself. Failure to do so will be a negative against the manager's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Update on Mane :

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/259181-sadio-mane-injury-latest

Jürgen Klopp has confirmed Liverpool are still waiting to discover the full extent of the knee injury Sadio Mane sustained during the weekend's Merseyside derby.

The forward was forced from the field in the 57th minute of the Reds’ 3-1 win against Everton on Saturday after sustaining a knock.

Mane will definitely miss Wednesday evening’s Anfield encounter with Bournemouth, but Liverpool will need to wait for further diagnosis before they know how long they’re likely to be without his services.

Klopp told reporters at Melwood: “It’s not 100 per cent clear. We had, of course, an assessment and a scan, but have to wait a little but until the knee is not that swollen anymore.

“The only thing I can say for sure is that he will not be available for tomorrow. All the rest, we have to see.

“[It’s] not very positive, we have to say it like this, but we cannot say what it is exactly. We have to wait.”

With just eight games remaining in Liverpool’s season, Klopp was asked whether it’s possible Mane could miss the remainder of the campaign.

The manager replied: “Unfortunately, that’s possible, but I cannot say it now so why should I say it when I don’t know?

“It’s possible. When the knee is swollen you have to wait for the final assessment until it is not swollen anymore, it’s not often I have heard, ‘It was nothing… it was a bee [sting]’ or whatever!

“It is swollen because of different reasons. It’s possible [it is season-ending] but even then, or especially then, the more difficult a situation seems to be, the better it is to handle. It feels better afterwards when you look back. Our way is not the easy way – that’s maybe the club’s history – and that’s no problem.

“My job is to find solutions and I work on solutions all the time. That’s what we will do this time.

“We have 59 points, we are in a nice position in the table. Yes, a few teams have played less than we have, but they cannot win them all, that’s for sure because a few of them play against each other. We are in a good position and I really want to use this position.

“I said at the beginning of the season that the whole season is pretty much to prepare to finish. This is the finishing part of the season, there are eight games for us and nobody asks for your problems, everybody only wants results. We want the same, we expect results from ourselves and we want to fight for everything.

“That’s what we’ve done all the time, even if maybe sometimes it didn’t look like this, but I thought more often [than not] everybody could see that we are really fighting. That will still be like this and for this we need not only an atmosphere in the stadium, we also need a positive mood within the club and around the club because the situation is positive.

“Not in all parts because a few key players are not available at the moment, yes that’s true, but as long as we still have 11 players to start and a few to bring on, then everything is fine. That’s still the situation, so I am fine.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

of all the bad challenges in that game its a accidental one thats fcked us possibly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Where is Ojo?

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/04/jurgen-klopp-still-not-100-percent-clear-extent-sadio-mane-injury/

"Asked about the options in Mane's absence, Klopp said that one option was to play James Milner in a 'wing' position"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/LFCFansCorner/status/849261017364410368

His surname is the sound a flick knife makes. Should give Liverpool an edge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

https://twitter.com/TonyBarrett/status/849232561503129600

https://twitter.com/LFCroundup/status/849232742961344513

So £40m on Lanzini and Ben Chilwell in on loan then. And Lucas agreeing a new deal will be like a new signing.

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/LFCFansCorner/status/849261017364410368

His surname is the sound a flick knife makes. Should give Liverpool an edge...

Serie A flavour of the month? I'll have the guts torn out of myself with excitement...

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Where is Ojo?

In the u23s I think or possibly injured.

His performances last season were a bit overrated. He did get a goal & some assists but his general performances were not great. Like Ibe he has had some good moments but he is too inconsistent.

He could be sold in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Genuinely forgot he plays for us.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

TAA might get a start in Mane's absence. Did well for himself when he came on at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

dogbert27 wrote:
    TAA might get a start in Mane's absence. Did well for himself when he came on at the weekend.

Why?
    Our front 3 will obviously be the one that finished on Saturday. Why would Trent be played out of position as a youngster when we have Origi?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement