Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

noodler wrote: »
    Is that true?

Christ on a two-wheeled self propelling mode of transport.

A bike is not self propelling! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

spockety wrote: »
    Coutinho was taken off because he was sick. Literally vomited at half time.

Lovely.

Another confidence booster for the Stoke game!

mormank wrote: »
    A bike is not self propelling! ;)

Go back to 12 hours ago when I cared!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

monkey9 wrote: »
    So is it FSG or Klopp you're having your tantrum at?

Both

noodler wrote: »
    Go back to 12 hours ago when I cared!

Ya I hear ya, I hate it too when I say something to try and sound clever and it turns out sounding the opposite! :o

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Tried watching that again last night actually but switched it off,i cant understand the love for that film its garbage

Oooh I bet you're a big Michael Bay fan. Lots of cool explosions and fancy cars etc. :rolleyes:

Depth wasn't the issue today anyway, composure was. Defence completely falls apart at the first bit of pressure. No matter the opposition they always win the second ball, our players can't clear a ball 15 yards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/04/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-must-learn-win-ugly-without-sadio-mane/

First game after the win ugly speel.... we 2 1 up at home and can't close out the game. Grim enough really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We nearly did win, and not ugly. But Klavan decided he forgot how to tackle.

I could see it all happening in slow motion, you knew what was going to happen the minute the ball came back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

5 points dropped from winning positions against a painfully average Bournemouth side this season, big strides taken by klopp this season but plenty more things to improve on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Liverpool are the team that have dropped the most points in games involving Bournemouth apart from Bournemouth themselves.

might not be true think Swansea has dropped 6 points

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

In the last 2 games we have gained 3 pts on city, 2 on utd and matched arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Grayditch wrote: »
    Clyne and Can? Ok, so.

in fairness... Clyne is a bit redundant in this team... good against the top 6 poor when we need the full backs to provide more going forward..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Crazy goal to concede, but we were actually really comfortable that goal aside in the second half. Even at that Klavan (and maybe Origi) should win it at the end. If the tables were turned that header goes in

More of the second half and less of the first please

And agree on Clyne, I would have liked to have seen Clyne and Milner swapped at some stage this year

Vicxas wrote: »
    We nearly did win, and not ugly. But Klavan decided he forgot how to tackle. .............

Indeed.
    However we went 5 at the back more or less, an obvious decision to try and close out the game in defensive mode once Coutinho came off injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Saw some of game but missed the last 15 mins. Judging by the comments on here i thought Klavan might have made an shocking error to 'give away' the equaliser. Turns out he didnt and people seem to be going OTT again. Wijnaldum's back pass to put us one down after a few minutes seems to have got lost in the narrative. 2 shots on target, 2 goals. Just seems to be one of those games. Bringing matip on for coutinho with half and hour to go? Dont think it did us any favours did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Thought we played well, really deflating to concede late on. Not happy that we had to start a game with Lovren and Klavan at CB while we ship out a far superior player on loan. If we were losing Sakho in Jan we should have bought in Jan, its not good enough to say players aren't available while getting rid of good players at the same time. Recruitment remains a big problem for us, I hope we get it right in the summer.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Saw some of game but missed the last 15 mins. Judging by the comments on here i thought Klavan might have made an shocking error to 'give away' the equaliser. Turns out he didnt and people seem to be going OTT again. Wijnaldum's back pass to put us one down after a few minutes seems to have got lost in the narrative. 2 shots on target, 2 goals. Just seems to be one of those games. Bringing matip on for coutinho with half and hour to go? Dont think it did us any favours did it.

People cut Wij some slack because he's normally solid and set up a goal. Matip came on to shut up shop, many complain here we dont do it enough. Klavan is a poor CB or average at best, he wouldn't start in any top 10 EPL team.

Saw some of game but missed the last 15 mins. Judging by the comments on here i thought Klavan might have made an shocking error to 'give away' the equaliser..................

It was poor defending rather than a howler.
    He's 3rd/4th choice CB so essentially not that good to be fair.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    ....... Matip came on to shut up shop, many complain here we dont do it enough............

I reckon it's more can't than "won't"

Augeo wrote: »
    It was poor defending rather than a howler.
    He's 3rd/4th choice CB so essentially not that good to be fair.

Well, I cut him a lot of slack because of that but when you start 19 games, 14 in the league that excuse no longer works. He basically started half our league games.....

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon it's more can't than "won't"

We absolutely cant, but many do complain that we keep attacking and dont defend enough. We dont because we cant.

• Advertisement

People cut Wij some slack because he's normally solid and set up a goal. Matip came on to shut up shop, many complain here we dont do it enough. Klavan is a poor CB or average at best, he wouldn't start in any top 10 EPL team.

He's average enough but he does a job and to be honest he's pretty solid and doesn't make too many high profile errors. He was bought as back up and thats what he is, for the most part.
    I'm on about last nights goal. If you read the criticism of him on here without seeing the goal, like i did, you would have thought he made a total f*ck up. He didnt. They got a lucky ricochet and he was unable to react fast enough-it happens.
    Matip came on to shut up shop with 30 MINUTES to go. At home. To Bournemouth. A move which handed the initiative to them.
    Just disappointed after beating everton 3-1 we revert to type and draw to one of the lower teams...AGAIN!! Still, we're in a great position so hopefully we can solider on and get 3rd/4th.

11 pts from last 5 games :) 2.2 ppg

15 pts from last 10 games :mad: / :( 1.5 ppg

I reckon it's very much touch and go what we'll do over the next 7 games.

He was bought as back up and thats what he is, for the most part.

He's played a huge role in our season. Half our league games. He may have been intended as a backup but he's played way more than I'd have expected. Not good enough IMO. Just because you dont make mistakes doesn't mean you have been effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I decided not to post last night to avoid a perma ban.

It was impossible to see what was to be gained by playing with an extra defender for over half an hour, let West Brom do that - Pulis understands defence Klopp doesn't. Play to your strengths not your weakness. If Coutinho was carrying a knock then bring on Sturridge to play off Origi, or throw on a busy midfielder like Grujic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Klopp made a big error with the Matip sub last night.
    Bournemouth are good going forward but poor at the back it played into there hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Matip came on to shut up shop with 30 MINUTES to go. At home. To Bournemouth. A move which handed the initiative to them.

It all comes back to squad depth. The closest thing to a like for like replacement for Coutinho last night would have been Woodburn. Or Grujic or maybe TAA on deeper in midfield, with Wijnaldum pushed forward into the front three. Even with hindsight, I can't blame Klopp for going with Matip instead.

But if we're having this conversation again next season, then Klopp has to be accountable for it. Serious recruitment required this summer.

Just disappointed after beating everton 3-1 we revert to type and draw to one of the lower teams...AGAIN!! Still, we're in a great position so hopefully we can solider on and get 3rd/4th.

He did, but as you say it came from a throw and a richocet so I'm not sure tactics had anything to do with the concession of the goal although perhaps we could have gotten a 3rd with Cout on the pitch.

Not much more positive this morning than I was last night. Fearful of the Stoke game.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Klopp made a big error with the Matip sub last night.
    Bournemouth are good going forward but poor at the back it played into there hands.

When we went to 3 at the back we were basically comfortable though. I wouldn't have agreed with the sub either but it didn't drastically change the game IMO. Defence is poor, no way around it. Recruitment and tactic tweak is needed if you dont want to concede stupid poor goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Why Liverpool didn't go for Eriksen a few years ago will always puzzle me...

brevity wrote: »

Absolutely nothing surprises me with our recruitment anymore. He went for 11M or something ridiculous also.

• Advertisement

He's played a huge role in our season. Half our league games. He may have been intended as a backup but he's played way more than I'd have expected. Not good enough IMO. Just because you dont make mistakes doesn't mean you have been effective.

He was bought as back up but because of the Matip AFCON situation he's obviously seen more game time. For me he was a grand signing for 4m. Provides good cover for the most part. I think if you dont make mistakes and youre a defender thats a great place to start from. He's played about 17 games for us this season and out of those 17 we've only lost 2. Just think people went over the top with the criticism last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

brevity wrote: »

Because he had a reputation as a flaky fancy dan, which put off a whole host of clubs aside from LFC, and which is why Spuds could pick him up for £12m. I think most thought that a low fee relative to the exposure he had, but then he struggled for consistency for a while after signing. He's developed into a crucial player for them and a class act, but that wasn't a foregone conclusion.

The main defence issue is the one that persists regardless of who is picked - lack of continuity! How often have any two played more than a couple of games in succession together?

He was bought as back up but because of the Matip AFCON situation he's obviously seen more game time. For me he was a grand signing for 4m. Provides good cover for the most part. I think if you dont make mistakes and youre a defender thats a great place to start from. He's played about 17 games for us this season and out of those 17 we've only lost 2. Just think people went over the top with the criticism last night.

Hes a grand backup but played way more than he should have. Matip only missed one league game for the AFCON. We conceded 22 goals in the 14 games he started in the league. Lost 2 and drew 5. I'm not saying he's responsible directly but its not great tbh.

Absolutely nothing surprises me with our recruitment anymore. He went for 11M or something ridiculous also.

I know Squawka isn't necessarily the best judge of players but i do believe that Eriksen would have fit Liverpool very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Trying to see the positives of a point gained on city after last night. I thought we were very comfortable last night when we switched to 3 at the back but one poor headed clearance and a shot into the box causes chaos and its 2 2.

Next two games will be very tough physical games. We need the lads to rise to the occasion and find their inner hard bastards. Cant have any passengers on the pitch when playing stoke or west brom away. Origi impressed me with his hold up play last night and his physicality, will be badly needed in the next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That was one in the eye for Klopp, bottom line. He will bear a significant amount of responsibility if we don't get CL. Responsibility may be the wrong word mind, as he's going to be responsible for a significant overall ppg improvement. The best way to say it is that he'll have plenty of room for improvement over the coming year. Lots of points left on the table, and the decision to keep a small tight busy squad has not panned out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would consider signing Adama Traore in the summer. Poor end product but playing in a poor side.
    Under Klopp he could be something very special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Our squad is painfully tin, I can't remember it being so bad, Our bench is always awful ,
    I think we have a top4 11 but not a top 4 squad and it will cost us,
    We seem to have a mental block against bad teams last night should have been cut and dry but you just knew we would give them a big chance at the end,
    We badly need to beat Stoke id go as far as if we lose we wont get fourth ,

• Advertisement

Just to point out we are 12 points up on where we where this time last year, and 3rd highest points at this stage in the last 13 years , so its not all doom and gloom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Carra made a good point last night about the lack of games Lovren and matip have actually played together this season. Says they need to toughen up. I think with lovren and matip playing together we have not lost this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The annoying thing about both goals is that you could feel both of them coming.

1st goal - you had Mignolet doing one of his stepovers, and getting his defense a bit rattled. Some sloppy passes around the back inviting Bournemouth pressure, and then the inevitable calamitous mistake. By the way, does anyone feel those Mignolet feints are now so clearly telegraphed that he's going to get caught out soon?

Missed chance - We didn't deal with the corner and they were presented a golden chance. Marc Pugh strikes the ball across the face of the goal from about 8 yards out. Such a gift - it was an incredible miss from that range.

2nd goal - We invite pressure by sitting back and making defensive subs. Again failing to deal with high balls and 2nd balls, we allow the ball to drop to feet in the box.

Bournemouth 2 shots on target. Bournemouth 2 goals. :rolleyes:

I'm just sickened today. We've handed the impetus back to Arsenal to go and win their next 2 games (vs Palace away, vs Boro away) whilst we arse around at Stoke and WBA.

Ye we've had a bad run of injuries compared to most the rest, Matip , Lovern, Lallana, Henderson , Couthino and now Mane (along with the African Nations ) have missed a decent amount of gems, Add in no left back and top striker we have done ok ,
    We have 60 points now and that's what we finished on last year,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Just to point out we are 12 points up on where we where this time last year, and 3rd highest points at this stage in the last 13 years , so its not all doom and gloom

It is though pretty gloomy
    If we were in a Spurs like place , where they are putting the teams below them to the sword but struggling against the big guys , then recruitment in the summer could close the gap and get you over that hump . Seeing progress year over year would let you believe that the curve will continue till you see a title .

But not being able to beat the relegation fodder in so many different games ,throwing away leads against cr@p sides multiple times , That suggest a bigger problem and I am not sure recruitment solves that issue , I mean we already have a substantially better team than these guys on the pitch and cant beat them .
    I would worry that the mid table teams will watch the way to beat/get a result against us and this could become a real malaise next season

ricero wrote: »
    Carra made a good point last night about the lack of games Lovren and matip have actually played together this season. Says they need to toughen up. I think with lovren and matip playing together we have not lost this season

Did Carra really say something so cliched Carra? :D

How does one toughen up, if you have a knock then you have a knock (unless it's Sturridge obviously). What's needed is depth.

Hard to credit Liverpool are third in the table isn't it? :pac:

• Advertisement

Ye we've had a bad run of injuries compared to most the rest, Matip , Lovern, Lallana, Henderson , Couthino and now Mane (along with the African Nations ) have missed a decent amount of gems, Add in no left back and top striker we have done ok ,

Injuries will always happen, and they will definitely happen to a team that have so few first team players and play the way Klopp demands

The club need to account for that buy having suitable backups.

We weren't overly happy with 60 points though and the EL etc were deemed to be the focus. This year all we've had since Jan in the PL....................and we weren't happy with 62 points the year before either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So, the general consensus is..... we're never happy.

Vicxas wrote: »
    So, the general consensus is..... we're never happy.

I presume we'll all be happy with top4 and failing that we'll be happy to a lesser degree if we finish north of 70 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I'm getting more and more annoyed that Klavan starts important games for Liverpool while Sakho stars for Crystal Palace.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement