Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

How can we be happy when we continue to drop points to inferior teams.

We really need to learn how to close out games, it's just not good enough.

It's probably a mixture of personnel & tactical. We desperately need to bring in at least one proven DM in summer. And the coaching staff need to show that we can pick a team/change tactics or personnel to ensure we are capable of managing a game in a calm, controlled way when we have the lead.

The only example I remember us doing this under current management is against City where we won 1-0 in December, we saw out the game comfortably by not giving the ball away cheaply, and not over-doing it in attack when we had the ball. It looked easy, like it looks easy for Chelsea nearly every match when they have the lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Palace conceded three goals against Soton at home last night. That ship has sailed.

How can we be happy when we continue to drop points to inferior teams........

This season I'll be happy as below..........

Augeo wrote: »
    I presume we'll all be happy with top4 and failing that we'll be happy to a lesser degree if we finish north of 70 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lets all be honest here and stop pussy footing around
    Klopp made an utter balls of that game last night yet againn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Palace conceded three goals against Soton at home last night. That ship has sailed.

Sakho played decent last night. Anyway I know that ship has sailed Klopp-wise but just annoyed because Klavan is nowhere near good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

This season I'll be happy as below..........
    I presume we'll all be happy with top4 and failing that we'll be happy to a lesser degree if we finish north of 70 points.

Yes I'd be happy with that. 7 games left. Surely we can muster at least 10 points between these games.

Stoke (a)
    WBA (a)
    Palace (h)
    Watford (a)
    Soton (h)
    W Ham (a)
    Boro (a)

GBX wrote: »
    Yes I'd be happy with that. 7 games left. Surely we can muster at least 10 points between these games.

Stoke (a)
    WBA (a)
    Palace (h)
    Watford (a)
    Soton (h)
    W Ham (a)
    Boro (a)

Boro is at home😉

GBX wrote: »

Stoke (a)
    WBA (a)
    Palace (h)
    Watford (a)
    Soton (h)
    W Ham (a)
    Boro (a)

Is that where we're setting our sights with that run in? Seriously? That could mean 3 losses to the above. I know what is posted here means nothing, but if I thought management were setting such limited goals I'd be very disappointed. 10 points out of 21 with that run in is the form of a mid table side, we dont deserve top 4 if that's all we get.

Is that where we're setting our sights with that run in? Seriously? That could mean 3 losses to the above. I know what is posted here means nothing, but if I thought management were setting such limited goals I'd be very disappointed. 10 points out of 21 with that run in is the form of a mid table side, we dont deserve top 4 if that's all we get.

I presume we'll all be happy with top4 and failing that we'll be happy to a lesser degree if we finish north of 70 points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Alot of Captain Hindsights in here today tbh, had we not conceded that very unlucky goal late on then everyone would be saying the Matip substitution was tactically the right move by Klopp.

The Bournemouth shot hits his own player and Klavan is caught over the ball, There was nothing he could do,The first goal was a far far greater error by Wiji.

It's a disappointing result but it could be worse, beat Stoke on Saturday and things look alot better.

• Advertisement

I presume we'll all be happy with top4 and failing that we'll be happy to a lesser degree if we finish north of 70 points

Thanks for that, most thoughtful of you. But I saw all of it the first time! I wont be at all happy, to any degree, if we finish outside the top 4. With our relative spending power, we may not have many opportunities to finish top 4. With our position in the league at the moment, those around us, our run in etc, we should be finishing top 4. Anything else is a failure, and not something I would be happy with at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

They have an injury crisis at the back I think. Tomkins and Dann both got injured against Chelsea. Kelly played cb last night with Sakho

Id be asking some serious questions if we finish outside top 4 this season,especially after the first half of the season.
    I dont buy this oh we up on last years points total,or id be happy with north of 70points bull****

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We don't have a game against anyone in the top 6 in our run in....so there is no guaranteed win for us :P

I'd love to see us go on a run a win the last 7 just to see how high in the table we can finish.

Thanks for that, most thoughtful of you. But I saw all of it the first time! I wont be at all happy, to any degree, if we finish outside the top 4. With our relative spending power, we may not have many opportunities to finish top 4. With our position in the league at the moment, those around us, our run in etc, we should be finishing top 4. Anything else is a failure, and not something I would be happy with at all.

Too many of our fans are just happy to plod along im affraid,id be happy with this,ah its ok if we dont get that shur we'll be better nxt year nonsence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Vicxas wrote: »
    So, the general consensus is..... we're never happy.

Theres things to be happy with and things to be annoyed with. On balance we are doing well with the potential to do much better if we can sort out recruitment and tactic issues. As long as we are improving I wont get too negative, but if these issues are still around next season I'll be more critical.

To be sustainable improvement is generally gradual imo.
    I reckon consistent top4 finishes by any club over the few years is a very tall ask. This year would look to be a great chance, I agree with you.

It depends how one uses the word failure, it's rather grim sounding. We could finish on 73 points and not get Top4 or finish on 60 points and not get Top4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool - 66F - 39A
    Tottenham - 60F - 22A
    Chelsea - 62F - 24A

Huge difference in the GA, we have to sort our defence, that is the only thing that is stopping us from seriously challenging, we are right up there otherwise. We are on course to concede 50 goals, it might be good enough for Top 4 but if we have any serious aspirations Klopp needs to sort this.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Too many of our fans are just happy to plod along im affraid,id be happy with this,ah its ok if we dont get that shur we'll be better nxt year nonsence

Instead of moaning about everything how about you state what you'd be happy with? Bear in mind its not the 80's and that reality exists.

• Advertisement

Id be asking some serious questions if we finish outside top 4 this season,especially after the first half of the season.
    I dont buy this oh we up on last years points total,or id be happy with north of 70points bull****

Agreed, there is a serious golden opportunity to get back into the CL with the teams around us faltering. Its galling that we are smashing the teams around us but keep dropping stupid points to the bottom half teams.

I think recruitment has been a failure/negative of Klopps. 3 first team players in 3 windows with the same issues we had before he came in, poor GK, average at CB, average at LB, no depth in CM or up top. Its only been 3 windows so you have to be fair, but I think we should have done a lot more. As for this season, I think a top 4 challenge was reasonable and thats what we are getting. Klopps done a great job, but its much harder than it needs to be IMO. Lack of recruitment is the biggest criticism I have. We aren't a million miles away where we need to be right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think think 4 wins and a draw and we will get fourth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    He's average enough but he does a job and to be honest he's pretty solid and doesn't make too many high profile errors. He was bought as back up and thats what he is, for the most part.
    I'm on about last nights goal. If you read the criticism of him on here without seeing the goal, like i did, you would have thought he made a total f*ck up. He didnt. They got a lucky ricochet and he was unable to react fast enough-it happens.
    Matip came on to shut up shop with 30 MINUTES to go. At home. To Bournemouth. A move which handed the initiative to them.
    Just disappointed after beating everton 3-1 we revert to type and draw to one of the lower teams...AGAIN!! Still, we're in a great position so hopefully we can solider on and get 3rd/4th.

these lucky Rick o'shea's seem to happen us a lot...

ricero wrote: »

Cant have any passengers on the pitch when playing stoke or west brom away. Origi impressed me with his hold up play last night and his physicality, will be badly needed in the next two games.

he was a passenger last night despite the goal... too casual and didn't close down Bournemouth...

was like playing with 10 men half the time imo..good when there's a pin point ball onto his head inside the box... not blaming origi 100% but he needed to dig in last night when we were defending the 2-1 but didnt put in a shift imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

NukaCola wrote: »
    I think recruitment has been a failure/negative of Klopps. 3 first team players in 3 windows with the same issues we had before he came in, poor GK, average at CB, average at LB, no depth in CM or up top. Its only been 3 windows so you have to be fair, but I think we should have done a lot more. As for this season, I think a top 4 challenge was reasonable and thats what we are getting. Klopps done a great job, but its much harder than it needs to be IMO. Lack of recruitment is the biggest criticism I have. We aren't a million miles away where we need to be right now.

Matip, Mane, Gini are three players good enough to win a league with, of the players Klopp signed i'd say Klavan is not good enough to start but he was bought as cover, Karius the jury is still out on and Grujic has'nt really had a chance with injuries and his age.

Overall Klopp is doing a great job in recruitment, you can't expect to buy 10 first teamers in one window and not have isues with integration, it must be done gradually and thats what Klopp is doing, to call it a failure is simply not accurate IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This nervousness at the back is at the Club since Rafa left. How can it take that long to put it right. Bringing Matip on was not a mistake, but Kalvan should have been brought off.
    Sturridge a straight swap for Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

mada999 wrote: »
    he was a passenger last night despite the goal... too casual and didn't close down Bournemouth...

was like playing with 10 men half the time imo..good when there's a pin point ball onto his head inside the box... not blaming origi 100% but he needed to dig in last night when we were defending the 2-1 but didnt put in a shift imo

I thought he put in a good shift and played well enough, i'd agree with ricero in that his hold up play was superb last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This nervousness at the back is at the Club since Rafa left. How can it take that long to put it right. Bringing Matip on was not a mistake, but Kalvan should have been brought off.
    Sturridge a straight swap for Coutinho.

Not enough leaders at the back imo. Need a vocal leader and a organiser. Look at rafas time you had pepe in net barking orders and then carra and agger telling people where to go. A confident and demanding goalkeeper is badly needed. Mingers has done well since he came back into the side but he seems to bring about a nervousness into our back line.

A lb is needed and good dm would also help i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I don't think third in the league is just plodding along, but if the alternative is a "fan" who probably wills us to lose, so they can do what they do best which is bitch and moan, then give me the optimist every time.

Not enough leaders at the back imo. Need a vocal leader and a organiser. Look at rafas time you had pepe in net barking orders and then carra and agger telling people where to go. A confident and demanding goalkeeper is badly needed. Mingers has done well since he came back into the side but he seems to bring about a nervousness into our back line.

A lb is needed and good dm would also help i feel.

I don't think any of the current CB's are good enough or strong enough imo..
    they also need to start chipping in with goals...

all the corners we get and no goals...

• Advertisement

Im a fan of matip but think he needs a proper tough bastard alongside him. Lovren i would keep for back up. In saying all this we are unbeaten with the lovren/matip partnership but they have only started 11 times together all season

Im a fan of matip but think he needs a proper tough bastard alongside him. Lovren i would keep for back up. In saying all this we are unbeaten with the lovren/matip partnership but they have only started 11 times together all season

they seem to be very injury prone the pair of them ?

NukaCola wrote: »

Matip, Mane, Gini are three players good enough to win a league with, of the players Klopp signed i'd say Klavan is not good enough to start but he was bought as cover, Karius the jury is still out on and Grujic has'nt really had a chance with injuries and his age.

Overall Klopp is doing a great job in recruitment, you can't expect to buy 10 first teamers in one window and not have isues with integration, it must be done gradually and thats what Klopp is doing, to call it a failure is simply not accurate IMO.

Why do people do this. I never said we needed 10 players in one window. We signed 3 first team players in 3 windows. It's not enough, failure is a bit strong but its certainly not a great job IMO. We should have been able to add 2 quality players without much disruption to integration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I must have been watching a different game, I thought Origi was one of Liverpool's best players last night.

they seem to be very injury prone the pair of them ?

Yuup i alluded to this earlier and carra said the same last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rob316 wrote: »
    Liverpool - 66F - 39A
    Tottenham - 60F - 22A
    Chelsea - 62F - 24A

Huge difference in the GA, we have to sort our defence, that is the only thing that is stopping us from seriously challenging, we are right up there otherwise. We are on course to concede 50 goals, it might be good enough for Top 4 but if we have any serious aspirations Klopp needs to sort this.
    On track to concede 50 again in one season as under Rodgers.
    Are we any better now than we were under Rodgers at his best? Defence is still a shambles and we still have teams walking through us and still have lots of errors.
    Much better against the top sides but poor against the lower sides, whereas, we were the reverse with Rodgers.

Better in the cups now too.

It's our transfer dealings, we're paddling furiously to stand still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We have had two managers who simply do not much care about defending - it doesn't matter what platitudes are spoken by Klopp with regard to improving the defence everyone and his dog knows that he is far more interested in scoring goals than stopping them at the other end.

That's why last nights switch was so wrong-headed it spoke of someone going against his own instincts, it was like Pulis trying to secure three points by throwing on an extra striker! Only we know he never would do that. Trying to see out a game with a one goal margin for over half an hour with too many defenders and not enough attackers was just bizarre and I'd have said as much if Liverpool had won the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Kalvan was at fault in the moment of conceding, yes there were problems in the build up to but how the hell can you have a guy standing right in front of you and not be able to block what that player does/ He simply turned and kicked ball into net unopposed , that is not right. That is beyond soft, I can't even imagine any decent player with any will power whatsoever allowing that to happen.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Kalvan was at fault in the moment of conceding, yes there were problems in the build up to but how the hell can you have a guy standing right in front of you and not be able to block what that player does/ He simply turned and kicked ball into net unopposed , that is not right. That is beyond soft, I can't even imagine any decent player with any will power whatsoever allowing that to happen.

He lost sight of the ball after it was deflected/blocked. It's an easy thing to happen given he was touch tight and the size of yer man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Milkers wrote: »
    I must have been watching a different game, I thought Origi was one of Liverpool's best players last night.

Passenger when the opposition have it for me as well.

Decent goal return but I don't think it would translate into. 20 a season if he was a starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I read a stat a couple of years ago that in the premier league on average 1 goal scored from every 33 corners.

For Liverpool it was 1 in 48.

noodler wrote: »
    Passenger when the opposition have it for me as well.

Decent goal return but I don't think it would translate into. 20 a season if he was a starter.

Thought he did well last night, held up the ball well in very tight spaces, took his goal well. He's only 21, he's a 1 in 3 striker, he is the least of our problems right now, I have zero issue with him starting a game.

We desperately need direct competition for Mane, replacement for Sturridge, a dedicated DM, a new LB, a starting GK and a CB to compete with Lovren, Sakho and Gomez.

Like are all the defenders we buy just **** or is it the tactics all our managers since Rafa employ?

Origi was brilliant last night, he chased everything, in the opposition half. His hold up play, which I have been critical of, was outstanding last night. Taking the ball down and wriggling away from 2 defenders, short pass, and on his bike up the pitch.
    He was also on the shoulder of the last defender when they had a higher line waiting to punce on a through ball.

There were one or two moments when things didn't work out for him and he tripped himself up, but rather than hanging about, he tried to rectify the mistake by trying to win the ball back.

He done everything last night, he looked like a complete modern striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

People wondering how we still have problems at the back. Rhetorically, perhaps, but just a reminder:

We finished last season knowing Lovren was a potential liability, Skrtel needed to be replaced, Sakho was under a drugs ban and Joe Gomez was an 18yo recovering from a ruptured ACL; this after resorting to bringing in Steven Caulker on loan (!). We released Kolo Toure and proceeded to spend £4m on central defenders.

We had a goalkeeper that was throwing them in and has been no better than average at best in his tenure at the club, with no real deputy to hand having released Bogdan. We spent £4.5m on Bogdan's replacement and signed a 39yo on a free as 3rd choice.

We had a left back who, after a season of mostly dreadful, brainless performances, was directly responsible for defeat in a game against his old club in a European final and was the #1 choice to be sold among supporters. His understudy Flanagan was loaned out for the season and the 3rd choice (Smith) was sold to another PL club for £6m. The 4th choice LB (Enrique) was released. We spent nothing and instead moved an established central midfielder into LB.

We went into January knowing Sakho would not play for the club again, that Matip was in a legal battle with his international team that involved FIFA, and sold Thiago Ilori for actual money. Our backup RB was an 18yo with a handful of first-team appearances. We spent nothing and cancelled a move for Lucas so we could play him at centre-half.

The club needs to spend some f**king money on good defenders. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just what we needed Mike Dean is the ref for the Stoke game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

It could have been worse if Keith Stroud had been appointed :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

He was a hot mess last night at Stamford Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i would be happy spending all our budget on our defense in the summer window,if a player leaves in a different position replace him,but for me, sort the fcking defense out once and for all please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The real head scratcher is that we can defend against the best forwards in the PL as well as beating the best teams so the team knows how to defend that tells me it's not necessarily a defensive coaching problem.

It's more of a concentration problem against the smaller teams it like the players themselves think they don't need to be at the same level while playing the so called weaker teams.

I'm not sure if that concentration problem can be coached out of a player but you would hope Klopp sees it and can fix it by either coaching or replacing those players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Origi was brilliant last night, he chased everything, in the opposition half. His hold up play, which I have been critical of, was outstanding last night. Taking the ball down and wriggling away from 2 defenders, short pass, and on his bike up the pitch.
    He was also on the shoulder of the last defender when they had a higher line waiting to punce on a through ball.

There were one or two moments when things didn't work out for him and he tripped himself up, but rather than hanging about, he tried to rectify the mistake by trying to win the ball back.

He done everything last night, he looked like a complete modern striker.

I just didn't see the off the ball work you speak off there. Most of the rest I agree with, he seems to come alive when he receives the ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement