Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

We have had two managers who simply do not much care about defending - it doesn't matter what platitudes are spoken by Klopp with regard to improving the defence everyone and his dog knows that he is far more interested in scoring goals than stopping them at the other end.

That's why last nights switch was so wrong-headed it spoke of someone going against his own instincts, it was like Pulis trying to secure three points by throwing on an extra striker! Only we know he never would do that. Trying to see out a game with a one goal margin for over half an hour with too many defenders and not enough attackers was just bizarre and I'd have said as much if Liverpool had won the game.

I don't agree with this.

Looking at Klopp's record at Dortmund and his two league winning seasons.

2011/12 25 League Goals conceded.
    2010/11 22 League Goals conceded.

From that he clearly understands and encourages good defending.

I just think he knows now that his defence is weak in areas, both in terms of mentality and ability so he decided to focus more on attack until he has the issue sorted with better transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Watching a bit of BVB back then I think it was more a case of penning the opposition back so much they didn't get the chance. There may be a particular weakness regarding dead balls with this Liverpool which accounts for the difference. How many goals have come from open play v set pieces I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Watching a bit of BVB back then I think it was more a case of penning the opposition back so much they didn't get the chance. There may be a particular weakness regarding dead balls with this Liverpool which accounts for the difference. How many goals have come from open play v set pieces I wonder.

liverpool_goals_conceded.PNG

That link doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

the link should be changed now, had the wrong year originally. Should get all the info from here anyways https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/6335/Stages/13796/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2016-2017

• Advertisement

Spurs 11 goals from open play :( We can only dream of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

FitzShane wrote: »
    the link should be changed now, had the wrong year originally. Should get all the info from here anyways https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/6335/Stages/13796/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2016-2017

11 of 24 from set pieces against us not including penalties. But what is really telling is the teams with similar number of goals from set pieces against. The lower half of the league and Everton. The better teams do not ship goals from setpieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

NukaCola wrote: »
    Instead of moaning about everything how about you state what you'd be happy with? Bear in mind its not the 80's and that reality exists.

Id be happy,if we didnt go to 5 at the back and take off coutinho and replace him with a cb at 2 -1 up with 20 mins to go at home to bournmouth,id be happy if we didnt have such a crap bench,id be happy if we didnt have a midfielder as a lb,id be happy if we had a keeper worth a ****,or if we didnt have to play with a 4th choice cb because we got rid of a first team cb to palace,id be happy if we didnt play with 2 defensive minded midfielders in the same team,id be happy if we had sorted these issues in the nearly 2 years our manager has been here,id be happy if we actually signed the players we are interested in instead of another team coming in under over us,
    Thats just some of the basics that would make me a hell of alot happier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Id be happy,if we didnt go to 5 at the back and take off coutinho and replace him with a cb at 2 -1 up with 20 mins to go at home to bournmouth,id be happy if we didnt have such a crap bench,id be happy if we didnt have a midfielder as a lb,id be happy if we had a keeper worth a ****,or if we didnt have to play with a 4th choice cb because we got rid of a first team cb to palace,id be happy if we didnt play with 2 defensive minded midfielders in the same team,id be happy if we had sorted these issues in the nearly 2 years our manager has been here,id be happy if we actually signed the players we are interested in instead of another team coming in under over us,

You'll be miserable until September at least so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Don't think you will ever be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

How much would you bet he'd be giving out about Sakho if we kept and used him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

How much would you bet he'd be giving out about Sakho if we kept and used him anyway.

Sakho is suddenly a world beater now he's unavailable, the man's totally unreliable, I can't wait till he's gone tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

That's why last nights switch was so wrong-headed it spoke of someone going against his own instincts, it was like Pulis trying to secure three points by throwing on an extra striker! Only we know he never would do that. Trying to see out a game with a one goal margin for over half an hour with too many defenders and not enough attackers was just bizarre and I'd have said as much if Liverpool had won the game.
    It's clear to me its Klopps response to letting slip so many leads earlier in the season, wasn't it 3-1 against bournemouth away and liverpool still were attacking mad, and lost in the end. Imo it made some sense that klopp tried another approach. And from what I read earlier Coutinho needed to come off.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Don't think you will ever be happy.

Ill be happy if we get the **** i stated sorted

The sakho thing is only one thing thats wrong,would you not agree with the rest of what i said or are you only ****ing nitpicking have some balls and admit im right

eyerer wrote: »
    It's clear to me its Klopps response to letting slip so many leads earlier in the season, wasn't it 3-1 against bournemouth away and liverpool still were attacking mad, and lost in the end. Imo it made some sense that klopp tried another approach. And from what I read earlier Coutinho needed to come off.

Its clear to me klopp doest know what to do either way

Ill be happy if we get the **** i stated sorted

Doubt it.

I think you would find something else to complain about or go on about how it wasn't like this in my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Its clear to me klopp doest know what to do either way

If you're not happy with Klopp you'll never be happy with any manager imo.

Klopp has his weakness and is rightly criticised for them but he's brought a new lease of life to the club which we haven't seen since Rafa bar one freak season under Rodgers. Would you swap Klopp for any realistic manager available at the minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The killer is they had one chance when we made the switch... one chance and they scored it. Like they always do...

Mignolet has been great the last while, he really has but the issue isn't really his ability at this stage. Its that when he makes a mess of something the entire team reacts really poorly to it. Regardless of if he gets away with it or not. You could see it last night, one dodgy moment from him and the entire team bar Coutinho look nervous for the next 5 mins (in which they scored).

His previous is too ingrained to allow him to actually rebuild his in squad image imo. Shame as he's been legit really good for most of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

hendo,lallana,mane.. serious losses at the worst possible time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also the Stoke game probably has a bit more spice to it this weekend considering the transfer ban we got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

________________Mig________________

Lovern_________________________Kalvan

______________Lucas__________________

Cylne__________________________Milner _______

I wish I could put my finger on why we concede so many goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Also the Stoke game probably has a bit more spice to it this weekend considering the transfer ban we got.

I'd be a bit worried about Charlie Adam putting in a Charlie Adam challenge and injuring somebody else at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Maybe between the fans. Doubt too many of those millionaire footballers will give a ****e either way.
    Disappointed with last night but that's this season all over. Just when you think it's about to click it falls down. Still you would probably have took the current situation at the start of the year.

Any update from the usual suspects?

Sadio-Mane-KNEESPNG.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd be a bit worried about Charlie Adam putting in a Charlie Adam challenge and injuring somebody else at this stage

Ah Charlie will drunkenly trip over the ball and hurt himself more likely :P

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsSoccer/status/849367112841822208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fdeadspin.com%2Fajax%2Finset%2Fiframe%3Fid%3Dtwitter-849367112841822208%26autosize%3D1

Is that a thought bubble above his head.

He has a blank mind if it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

have some balls and admit im right

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Is that a thought bubble above his head.

He has a blank mind if it is

Thought the same thing myself, was wondering if someone had forgotten to put the words in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

missing Henderson too, he retains possession well and would of kept things ticking over at 2-1 last night. sadly we probably need to replace him this ankle injury he has isn't going away.

missed lallanas energy too we looked wrecked in midfield towards the end last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Augeo wrote: »

Sadio-Mane-KNEESPNG.png

They're turning him into RoboMane. Next year is definitely our year.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Doubt it.

I think you would find something else to complain about or go on about how it wasn't like this in my day.

Wrong again

Augeo wrote: »

Sadio-Mane-KNEESPNG.png

That's not Sturridge aka Mr Glass :D

Sadio-_Mane-_KNEESPNG.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Vicxas wrote: »
    Thats nice of him.

If we do make it (as we are doing a fantastic job of keeping others in the race) it will have been in spite of his performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I just did a match predictor to see who gets top 4. It was City and Arsenal :(

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/help-decide-liverpools-journey-champions-12837668

Palace will have a big say in the run up it seems. Thankfully Agent Sakho can do us a few favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    The killer is they had one chance when we made the switch... one chance and they scored it. Like they always do...

Mignolet has been great the last while, he really has but the issue isn't really his ability at this stage. Its that when he makes a mess of something the entire team reacts really poorly to it. Regardless of if he gets away with it or not. You could see it last night, one dodgy moment from him and the entire team bar Coutinho look nervous for the next 5 mins (in which they scored).

His previous is too ingrained to allow him to actually rebuild his in squad image imo. Shame as he's been legit really good for most of the season.

I'm not a fan of Mignolet, but the above is hardly his fault, i.e. that the whole team falls apart when he makes a mistake.

We lack leadership, pure and simple. All is fine when we are buzzing, and everything is going really well, but we look a sham at times when it starts to get tough.
    rob316 wrote: »
    missing Henderson too, he retains possession well and would of kept things ticking over at 2-1 last night. sadly we probably need to replace him this ankle injury he has isn't going away.

missed lallanas energy too we looked wrecked in midfield towards the end last night.

I'll let the docs decide based on the actual issue & prognosis. But without him we are missing one of our very few leaders, and it shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Sappy404 wrote: »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/help-decide-liverpools-journey-champions-12837668

Palace will have a big say in the run up it seems. Thankfully Agent Sakho can do us a few favours.

I did it there now being very generous to United/Arsenal and a little hard on us we finish 3rd, just looking down through the fixtures in there while doing the results, we will have to have a major meltdown to miss out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

mightyreds wrote: »
    I did it there now being very generous to United/Arsenal and a little hard on us we finish 3rd, just looking down through the fixtures in there while doing the results, we will have to have a major meltdown to miss out.

Its pointless and impossible to predict our results we should be hammering most of the teams on paper but it all depends on what Liverpool turn up. The next 2 will tell a lot Stoke and WBA away, anything less than 4 points and the game is up.

Crystal Palace and Leicester play a huge part in fixtures, United are absolutely ****ed there run in is horrible.

mightyreds wrote: »
    I........... we will have to have a major meltdown to miss out.

By that do you mean 1.5 ish ppg? Because we're that for the last 3 months in the PL unfortunately ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Sappy404 wrote: »

I have us in fourth on 75 points , 3 ahead of Arsenal and 7 behind city!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I had spurs in second, city third and arsenal fourth.

Our results are hard to predict. As everyone says, there's games in there that should be won but who knows how we will perform on the day.

What seems more certain is that Spurs will continue to perform and that Citys upturn in form will keep them going strong.

I think United will remain hard to beat but will drop some points both as a result of their tough fixture list and their European football and I reckon that arsenal will do well in their next four or five games because that's what arsenal do. Whether they keep that going until the end of the season remains to be seen and it means that we will have to put some teams away to claim fourth place.

In my predicted table we were a point behind arsenal in fifth. Keep the lead against Bournemouth and we would have made it... I reckon whatever way it falls, it will be a small margin so we cannot afford to let chances like that slip away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

As we never tend to do things the easy way, it could be a case of needing a result on the last day - shades of Bradford away game 99/00 season where we missed out on champs LG on last day. The pain ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I have us in fourth on 75 points , 3 ahead of Arsenal and 7 behind city!! :cool:

Exact same as myself. Had united about 14 points off 4th :D

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    ........ fourth on 75 points , 3 ahead of Arsenal...............

I reckon you aren't far wrong, 73 points will quite likely get fourth :)
    Hopefully it's us ( we :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

rob316 wrote: »
    Its pointless and impossible to predict our results we should be hammering most of the teams on paper but it all depends on what Liverpool turn up. The next 2 will tell a lot Stoke and WBA away, anything less than 4 points and the game is up.

Crystal Palace and Leicester play a huge part in fixtures, United are absolutely ****ed there run in is horrible.

3 pts from the next two will be fine. They are the hardest remaining fixtures we have.

3 pts from the next two will be fine. They are the hardest remaining fixtures we have.

We be on 63 pts than with 5 game left, could well be not too far at all ahead of Utd and/are Arsenal.

I wouldn't fancy our team/squad to get 10 pts+ from 5 games if they actually had to, to be honest, I reckon they'd calve under the pressure.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Watford away is another classic Liverpool bad match too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement