Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What do you reckon on Mignolet nowadays?

Often criticised and deservedly so but I think losing his place and getting back in has made him more focused.

He's improved since he came back and earned 3 points for us yesterday with some great saves.

He also looks more assured and decisive in the box where he used to be more hesitant and ponderous.

Do you think we should stick with him next season and upgrade other positions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He still can't kick a ball reliably but most other aspects of his game have certainly improved - he's cleaned out a couple of players in recent games and that was good to see. The old "Do I, don't I?" shuffle seems to have been banished. His shot stopping remains strong. But we've seen him go through good spells before and then revert to type, I suppose he has the rest of the season to convince everyone.

A stronger CB and DM triangle would be the place to spend money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Tbh I've been impressed with Mignolet. The odd lapse aside (vs Chelsea for example) he's put in some good shifts.
    I still wouldn't put him in as the long term number 1, but the last I saw of Karius, I'd prefer Mignolet for now. I don't see Karius being shipped out without having another shot in the first team so I think we're kinda stuck with both for probably another season :pac:

murpho999 wrote: »
    What do you reckon on Mignolet nowadays.

Don't think he's good enough.

CL next year :D
    With either Mignolet or Karius in goal is a worry but I agree with Harry, CB and DM would probably be a better place to spend cash.

I said it earlier (in fewer words) regarding our goals conceded thing that if we had a DM who could spray the ball quickly and competently as well as do the DM thing we'd be much better off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What do you reckon on Mignolet nowadays.

Often criticised and deservedly so but I think losing his place and getting back in has made him more focused.

He's improved since he came back and earned 3 points for us yesterday with some great saves.

He also looks more assured and decisive in the box where he used to be more hesitant and ponderous.

I'd be very interested to see what he could do with a couple of settled, mentally-strong full backs in front of him to be honest. Problem is, we'll probabyl never get the opertunity...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Mig will always have games like yesterday where he is fantastic. Unfortunately, he'll always have games where he'll have an absolute mare.

Keeper should be high on the priority list in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'm all for replacing Mignolet. Think he has consistently shown himself to be a decent but not great goalkeeper. I reckon he'd be easily upgraded for a decent price.

Only issue is that if we play as offensive as we always do again, any replacement would also concede silly goals because space would be plentiful for attackers.

A settled back four and a defensive midfielder would make a big difference for us.

But goalkeeper is just one of several positions that need upgrading in the summer. A left back, a centre back, a defensive midfielder, a pacy winger and maybe a striker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The issue with replacing Mignolet is that nobody ever really offers actual suggestions as to who would actually fit the bill. There isn't a lot of great keepers that are at teams at a lower level to Liverpool.

I'd almost be convinced that Klopp won't be changing our goalkeeper scenario any time soon. Not with Karius being signed last year, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have generally slated Mignolet but my view has been softening on him in recent weeks. He seems to have suddenly become a lot more competent during crosses. I have even seen him take out his own player once or twice - never mind the opposing teams player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Upgrade it would be my no 1 priority a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Id agree that our current keepers will remain at the club for another couple of windows.

Maybe if we sign a decent CB and LB along with a CM that can do the dirty work, the duties of Mignolet might not be called on as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Priority positions that need to be filled in the Summer are LB, CB, DM, Winger, Striker then Keeper in that order is the way I would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Id agree that our current keepers will remain at the club for another couple of windows.

Maybe if we sign a decent CB and LB along with a CM that can do the dirty work, the duties of Mignolet might not be called on as much.

Our keepers have made 61 saves the second lowest in the league only the Chelsea keeper has made less saves. Our keepers don't get over worked. Our keepers just aren't good enough and don't bail us out enough when needed. Yesterday was a very rare occurrence.

CB and keeper for me.

Defence needs sorting out bigtime if we are serious about challenging.

If well do manage to get into the CL I think we'll see a huge amount of players coming in. Probably see that anyway unless we fail to qualify for any European competition which is unlikely at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Improvement in Mignolet alright but I wouldn't be getting carried away. It's great that he's willing to take players out of it (particularly enjoyed him leaving his mark on Shawcross) and looks a bit better dealing with crosses, although there were a couple yesterday where he stood his ground and punched them away rather than coming to meet them, and if someone nips in ahead of him and scores he's going to be harshly criticised.

The crux of it is though that yesterday is the first time I can remember him winning us points since Stoke on the opening day of the 13/14 season (although I think I might be overlooking a game this season). If he can do that more often great but he still has a long way to go to reach the level of Courtois as the best keeper in the league.

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    CB and keeper for me.

Defence needs sorting out bigtime if we are serious about challenging.

If well do manage to get into the CL I think we'll see a huge amount of players coming in. Probably see that anyway unless we fail to qualify for any European competition which is unlikely at this stage.

Seen on Reddit that yesterday's result guaranteed European football next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Seen on Reddit that yesterday's result guaranteed European football next year.

Top 7 ?

18 points to play for.

Can't be caught by West Brom or lower in 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Our keepers have made 61 saves the second lowest in the league only the Chelsea keeper has made less saves. Our keepers don't get over worked. Our keepers just aren't good enough and don't bail us out enough when needed. Yesterday was a very rare occurrence.

Dont get me wrong, I'd like an upgrade on Mig.

Its just I dont see it happening anytime soon.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Mig will always have games like yesterday where he is fantastic. Unfortunately, he'll always have games where he'll have an absolute mare.

Keeper should be high on the priority list in the summer.

In fairness, can you name a game since he's come back where he's a had a real mare?

Upgrade it would be my no 1 priority a keeper.

Not for me, CB for me, particularly an upgrade on Lovren. I think he causes a lot of problems in that defence that brings about a lot of uncertainty making them all look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably his best year for us even though he was dropped for a while earlier in the season. In truth he hadn't done much wrong to get dropped at the time. He's even coming out for crosses into the box now. You always feel when he's had a good run of games though that a howler is due from him but he's been very good to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

5starpool wrote:
    For a different type of answer, it'd be bad because them with CL would be more likely to get the top drawer players in. Obviously they are a big draw anyhow, especially with the massive budget, but without that it might stop some at least signing for them as it has become a habit now nearly with it being 3 from 4 seasons they will have missed out.

This.
    They'll take a massive hit on their shirt
    Deal with Adidas if they dont make it this year also, apparently.

In fairness, can you name a game since he's come back where he's a had a real mare?

No, he's been pretty solid tbf. I just highly doubt he's eradicated that from his game. I just don't trust him. If you want to win the big trophies a top keeper is required. As is a top CB pairing, centre mid and striker. It's not a stretch to say all these areas could do with upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

We should be looking for players that will get us points. While Mig has been in good form, and he did earn us points yesterday he doesn't do it nearly enough. How many games have we seen 2 shots on target and two goals and similar? He rarely pulls off an unexpected save.

As for people saying name better GK's, in fairness thats up to our scouts to answer. I doubt we'll change GK in the summer but we wont win a league with Mig as our GK. I have slated him plenty, but while he has been miles better he is still short of the standard we need IMO.

NukaCola wrote: »
    We should be looking for players that will get us points. While Mig has been in good form, and he did earn us points yesterday he doesn't do it nearly enough. How many games have we seen 2 shots on target and two goals and similar? He rarely pulls off an unexpected save.

As for people saying name better GK's, in fairness thats up to our scouts to answer. I doubt we'll change GK in the summer but we wont win a league with Mig as our GK. I have slated him plenty, but while he has been miles better he is still short of the standard we need IMO.

This pretty much sums it up. Expectations are fairly low if not having a 'mare' is reason to praise him. He did great yesterday but we need that on a regular basis. Even on Wednesday he made no attempt to at saving the equaliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

NukaCola wrote: »
    As for people saying name better GK's, in fairness thats up to our scouts to answer..

You are 100% here. Absolutely absurd to suggest that you can only call a player out if you can readily name their replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dm and cb must be the priorities. A raw lad like Bailly and a good passer like William carvslho type of players. Henderson is OK but his weight of pass is all wrong most of the time which slows down potential attacks and he always plays the safe pass which puts pressure on the cb or wing back. A striker like lacazette or morata that will poach goals like how Costa does. A Douglas Costa seems to want out of Munich and would be available for 30m and is the equivalent to mane and a lb like hector who can cross and defend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Prepare for next season

1 season only crest to go back to the original club crest the coat of arms for the city of Liverpool

C8zdM5yWAAAxWn_.jpg

C8zdM51XoAAuK0D.jpg

C8zdM51WAAEBocA.jpg

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-to-officially-unveil-classy-new-125th-anniversary-crest-and-home-shirt-in-april-119555

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pisstake surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Knex. wrote: »
    The issue with replacing Mignolet is that nobody ever really offers actual suggestions as to who would actually fit the bill. There isn't a lot of great keepers that are at teams at a lower level to Liverpool.

I'd almost be convinced that Klopp won't be changing our goalkeeper scenario any time soon. Not with Karius being signed last year, in my opinion.

I have recommended Timo Horn, Ter Stegen and Bernd Leno amongst others over the years and any of the 3 would have been attainable at the time and will go no to have top careers imo. Had we gotten any of those 3 we would be sorted imo but tbh I'm happy enough to give Karius time to develop as David De Geas and Hugo Lloris' don't grow on trees!
    Having rewatched the stoke highlights just there I must say that I'm beginning to come round to the idea that our number 1 priority should be in goals. As brilliant as Mig was yesterday and he can claim to have won us the 3 points in the end, he simply doesn't do it often enough whereas the likes of Utd, Chelsea and Spurs have goalies who perform to that standard almost every single week. Just imagine how many extra points we would have this season with the exact same team but Petr Cech in goals for example!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

5starpool wrote: »
    Pisstake surely?

Don't think so...been doing the rounds for a while now. I first saw it about a month ago. Looks bloody strange though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

5starpool wrote: »
    Pisstake surely?

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/125/256678-125-years-ago-today-liverpool-fc-was-formed

"This year, 125th birthday celebrations will be kicked off with the release of a special anniversary LFC crest, which will be revealed on next season's kit in April."

mormank wrote: »
    I have recommended Timo Horn, Ter Stegen and Bernd Leno amongst others over the years and any of the 3 would have been attainable at the time and will go no to have top careers imo. Had we gotten any of those 3 we would be sorted imo but tbh I'm happy enough to give Karius time to develop as David De Geas and Hugo Lloris' don't grow on trees!
    Having rewatched the stoke highlights just there I must say that I'm beginning to come round to the idea that our number 1 priority should be in goals. As brilliant as Mig was yesterday and he can claim to have won us the 3 points in the end, he simply doesn't do it often enough whereas the likes of Utd, Chelsea and Spurs have goalies who perform to that standard almost every single week. Just imagine how many extra points we would have this season with the exact same team but Petr Cech in goals for example!!! :eek:

That's not really a great example. Cech's been pretty poor this season...and that's with the best players in the league playing in front of him.

The Echo reporting the summer transfer budget will be in and round the £200m mark once player sales are taken into account.

Sakho also said in an interview that he would be very happy to wear the Liverpool jersey again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Suso scored a nice free today. 'Hon the lads.

Gbear wrote: »
    Suso scored a nice free today. 'Hon the lads.

Use of the word "hon" should mean an automatic site ban. And a sound thrashing.

The Echo reporting the summer transfer budget will be in and round the £200m mark once player sales are taken into account.

The only way I see this happening is if we sell everyone and start from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'd still love to see Sakho back in the team. He's done everything he can to prove himself since being dropped down to the reserves really and from that interview he still seems eager to play for Liverpool, it's all up to Klopp and I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That's not really a great example. Cech's been pretty poor this season...and that's with the best players in the league playing in front of him.

Ok fair enough but I think you know what I mean. Cech in his prime and we are title contenders this season imo.

• Advertisement

Sakho also said in an interview that he would be very happy to wear the Liverpool jersey again.

Imagine how big it will be the following summer after we make profit in the next two transfer windows! ;)

I'd be asking the boys from Brazil to have a word with Douglas Costa to see if he fancies a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Migs should have been there to challenge Walters, the ball in was a long long time coming, one could see the situation evolve. If only he could improve his close combat skills. Need to be more commanding from corners and free kicks.There is a reason we concede so many from those situations, one is a weak keeper that refuses to get involved. Great shot stopper, but we all know that.

Migs should have been there to challenge Walters, the ball in was a long long time coming, one could see the situation evolve. If only he could improve his close combat skills. Need to be more commanding from corners and free kicks.There is a reason we concede so many from those situations, one is a weak keeper that refuses to get involved. Great shot stopper, but we all know that.

I'd be more inclined to point the finger at Lovren for that goal. Haven't a clue what the hell he thought he was doing for it.

I'd be asking the boys from Brazil to have a word with Douglas Costa to see if he fancies a move.

Why not get them to ask Marquinhos the same thing while they're at it? :D

Harry, can you confirm if that crest is indeed similar to the original ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

200 gross?

Sturridge 20m, Sakho 15m, Ings 15m (with a good pre-saeson), Moreno 10m (maybe) plus a few million for some of the youth players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Douglas Costa is the exact type of player we need to be going for, rather than looking at potential from smaller clubs we need to be looking at proven players who want out at bigger clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

200 gross?

Sturridge 20m, Sakho 15m, Ings 15m (with a good pre-saeson), Moreno 10m (maybe) plus a few million for some of the youth players.

Sakho would have to be 22m at least. He's a solid cb in his prime. Let's hope city buy van djik for 40 million and we sell sakho for 30:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Douglas Costa is the exact type of player we need to be going for, rather than looking at potential from smaller clubs we need to be looking at proven players who want out at bigger clubs.

I agree, but at the same time we have to be careful about bringing big egos into the club, and a lot of these players who want out of big clubs would see themselves as a big fish in a slightly smaller pond. Based on what Pep Lijnders said some months ago, personality is a huge thing for Klopp and he only wants players who fully buy into his philosophy. It's why he values youth so highly, so that he and his coaches can shape players his way.

Not saying this is the case for Douglas Costa btw, I've heard nothing negative about his attitude. Another one from Bayern we should keep our eye on is Juan Bernat. He's a left back and a significant upgrade on Moreno, but was rumoured to be open to a move this summer since he'd never be able to take Alaba's place in the team. As you said, it's not a bad strategy to be poaching fringe players from the bigger clubs. There's so many good options out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So we'll be spending the fee we get for Coutinho basically.

Spending 200M is fine, but I want it on 3 players, not 10 bench warmers.

Simple does not make sense this talk of 200m. Would we really spend that kinda money on 10 average players and start season next year with same team because signings are no improvement. If we spend 200m then one better be a 80m plus striker and a 60m plus midfielder.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement