Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£200m gets us Neymar and Brazil's front 3. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

So we'll be spending the fee we get for Coutinho basically.

Spending 200M is fine, but I want it on 3 players, not 10 bench warmers.

Simple does not make sense this talk of 200m. Would we really spend that kinda money on 10 average players and start season next year with same team because signings are no improvement. If we spend 200m then one better be a 80m plus striker and a 60m plus midfielder.

None of this will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sakho would have to be 22m at least. He's a solid cb in his prime. Let's hope city buy van djik for 40 million and we sell sakho for 30:)

Sakho for Van Jjik makes me sad.

Trading what ifs though I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Twitter notification Klopp annouchment at 1:30am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Twitter notification Klopp annouchment at 1:30am

I was very nervous when I read your post, thinking he might resign or some crazy sh1t like that.

Went on Twitter and seen it's just to announce a post season friendly on the 24th of May, opponents to be announced at 1:30am.

Phew. :o

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Must be the Australian game I saw rumoured recently. Sydney would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

200 gross?

Sturridge 20m, Sakho 15m, Ings 15m (with a good pre-saeson), Moreno 10m (maybe) plus a few million for some of the youth players.

Ings 15m is insanely optimistic. Paid 6.5m at tribunal for him and he's spent 2 years out of the game with that horrible set of injuries. Its unlikely he'll even get much time in pre-season.

I'd love to see him come good, but I think its very unlikely anyone takes a 15m gamble on it.

Sturridge, Sakho and Moreno guesses seem about right. Maybe Moreno goes for a bit less - he hasn't been in the shop window much this season.

5starpool wrote: »
    Must be the Australian game I saw rumoured recently. Sydney would be my guess.

Oz or America 1:30am would be prime time East Coast America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

From what I've read, it looks like we'll be playing Melbourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Our keepers have made 61 saves the second lowest in the league only the Chelsea keeper has made less saves.

Which only proves how good Chelsea's defense is (protecting their world class goalie) relative to ours.

The important thing reef goalies is how good they are at commanding their box, defending fixed piecies and shot stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A game in Sydney at the end of the season.

Really don't see the point of that. So much for complaints about too many games and not wanting to travel.

No doubt half the first team won't travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

200 gross?

Sturridge 20m, Sakho 15m, Ings 15m (with a good pre-saeson), Moreno 10m (maybe) plus a few million for some of the youth players.

And 100m for Coutinho don't forget.

Even with the fees inflated who will pay 20m for Sturridge?

rob316 wrote: »
    And 100m for Coutinho don't forget.

Yeah, end of last season when he was still great with the goals per game record but this season he has been used extremely infrequently and goals have dried up.

We'll see. Might still have a role to play in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote:

After the fee Bournemouth paid for Jordan Ibe anything is possible :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You are 100% here. Absolutely absurd to suggest that you can only call a player out if you can readily name their replace.

I should have clarified more, but I was on my phone and took the easy route.

My point was more that nobody can really name any goalkeepers who are viable replacements, because there's not exactly an abundance of them plying their trade at teams at a level that a move to Liverpool would be a career advancement.

Our scouts identified Karius who had a great season in Germany last year, took a punt, and thus far it looks like a failure. I've posted before that I think he saves way too many shots with his body, with zero attempt to use his hands in a manner that a top goalie should, but at 23, he's young enough yet for the coaching staff to give him another chance.

If we sign another GK, I can't see how it would likely be another punt at a very young keeper from a mid table European team, who will definitely be far from the finished article. You then have to allow for that keeper to adapt & develop, so no guarantee that they'd be better than we have now, imo.

We're not getting the likes of Donnarumma or even Lafont, although the latter might be plausible in a few years if we had consistent CL and established ourselves in a manner that we had when Rafa was bringing in the likes of Torres, but now we're not at that level.

It annoys me reading people banging their fists on the table shouting for a new GK when we're just not in a position to actually make a productive move in that department, I don't think.

Fair enough if say Real go and sign a new keeper and Keylor Navas then suddenly becomes available and people want him, but at the moment I don't see how Liverpool can do anything better than keep moving forward with Mignolet, Karius and Danny Ward.

Unfortunately, the above could probably also apply to left backs, such is the rarity of good players in that position. We thought that was shored up when Moreno was bought a few years ago, and nobody could argue that's been a success. Although I do think that's an easier position to sort, and more of a dire need than our GK one.

murpho999 wrote: »

Really don't see the point of that. So much for complaints about too many games and not wanting to travel.

This summer I have no problem with it. There are no international tournaments, it won't be too strenuous, they'll still get 5-6 weeks off. Better than them shoehorning it in pre-season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I imagine there's a heap of money involved, and doubt many of the lads will mind a trip to Sydney to start their break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'm thinking of doing the stations of the cross to ask gawd to stop us buying Josh King off the Cherries. I just have a bad feeling it's the kind of thing we'd do.

Knex. wrote: »
    Fair enough if say Real go and sign a new keeper and Keylor Navas then suddenly becomes available and people want him, but at the moment I don't see how Liverpool can do anything better than keep moving forward with Mignolet, Karius and Danny Ward.

Money would solve that problem quick enough. At some point we have to stop taking the cheap option, or looking for a player that has the potential to be good/great. We cant rely on Mig and Karius to win points/games on a regular basis. Put either in the Chelsea team and they wouldn't be top of the league IMO, if thats where we want to be we need better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

corwill wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing the stations of the cross to ask gawd to stop us buying Josh King off the Cherries. I just have a bad feeling it's the kind of thing we'd do.

Go on, I'll throw in a few decades of the rosary to that fund too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

corwill wrote: »

So plausible it would catch like wildfire on twitter.

*tweets liverpool based journos to confirm or deny*

x43r0 wrote: »
    Go on, I'll throw in a few decades of the rosary to that fund too

I had to do one of those recently with no warning at a funeral. Trying to remember words to things I haven't thought about in 20+ years was very stressful.

I'm not able to contribute to the effort I'm afraid (aside from the fact that religion is all makey uppy stuff).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'd be wary of doing that lads, we'd just end up signing Jesus Navas as our first choice rb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is all very quaint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/TOTK96/status/851365656608088064

Ross Barkley got himself in a spot of bother over the weekend.

Rumours are he was after the guys girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/TOTK96/status/851365656608088064

Ross Barkley got himself in a spot of bother over the weekend.

Rumours are he was after the guys girl.

Must be fake news, sure Gary Neville said he was a good person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Good enough for him if the rumors are true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The guy that hit him 'isnt that type of person' apparently.

Ross Barkley, always wide open ready to receive for a quick attack..........

On a serious note, fairly ****e form, unless of course Ross said punch me right in my mouth.....then again, booze in a club and fighting over women is an age old tale.....

NukaCola wrote: »
    Ross Barkley, always wide open ready to receive for a quick attack..........

On a serious note, fairly ****e form, unless of course Ross said punch me right in my mouth.....then again, booze in a club and fighting over women is an age old tale.....

Unless Ross is whispering to him "you know whats going to happen - she's coming home with me....."....BANG!

• Advertisement

He looks like he's asking for it though, yapping away.. gives yer man a tap on the chin... f*cking big time charlie attitude off him in it.. then boom ! Ave it ya divvy !!

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    He looks like he's asking for it though, yapping away.. gives yer man a tap on the chin... f*cking big time charlie attitude off him in it.. then boom ! Ave it ya divvy !!

I didn't see anything that he did that deserved be hit like that to be honest.

The attacker was a sneaky fecker imho, hope he gets charged.

No excuse for that behaviour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'm guessing it is what he said that got him the slap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Meh.

I guess that's Karma come callin' after his last two derby games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not a fan of Barkley personally but that dig is a sly dig if I ever saw one....

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I'm guessing it is what he said that got him the slap.

No excuse for it.
    Meh.

I guess that's Karma come callin' after his last two derby games.

What's last night got to do with football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

think it was in a Manchester club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Hope they charge the guy who threw the punch , no call for that ever and to sucker punch someone like that is just scumbaggery of the highest order .

I never understand why somebody gets upset with the lad dipping your misses or with a women stepping somebody's man. They are not responsible for your partners infidelity , that lies 100% with the person cheating .

What's last night got to do with football?
    Who said it had?

Lifes' scales balanced somewhat between him getting a slap last night and some pretty sh!tty tackles the last two derbies.

Who said it had?

Lifes' scales balanced somewhat between him getting a slap last night and some pretty sh!tty tackles the last two derbies.

That's a very strange outlook on life.

• Advertisement

That's a very strange outlook on life.
    In your opinion.

In your opinion.

Well I don't see how a bad tackle on a football field during a competitive match warrants a violent assault in a bar.

Some people believe in karma. They might see this as the universe sorting him out for going over the top and nearly breaking Lovren's leg two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If you need to punch a lad in the face to stop your girlfriend from going off with him, then you were probably in need of a new girlfriend anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mane to have surgery tomorrow and expected recovery time will be 8 weeks.

All going well he and with no football for the summer he will totally recovered and rested and ready to rock and roll for the start of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sakho saying he wants to play in a Liverpool shirt again, I'd really like to see him and Matip at the back. I'd say they'd be immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

What do you reckon on Mignolet nowadays?

Often criticised and deservedly so but I think losing his place and getting back in has made him more focused.

He's improved since he came back and earned 3 points for us yesterday with some great saves.

He also looks more assured and decisive in the box where he used to be more hesitant and ponderous.

Do you think we should stick with him next season and upgrade other positions?

Mignolet has has periods of 'redemption' before. I remember when he credited his missus with a resurgence and people were saying for her to replace Achterberg. Don't forget he had been dropped for Brad Jones he was so bad. He soon reverted to type.

He also threw in a goal against Hull this season IIRC - flapping at a cross as per.

He or Karius need replacement with an unquestionably superior goalkeeper and frankly it's long overdue. I'd like to think that enough money could be thrown at Oblek if we got CL but I have absolutely no confidence in the club's ability or inclination to sign good players. In all likelihood we'll settle for Pickford.

Phil does not need to punch to leave Ross on the floor

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Well I don't see how a bad tackle on a football field during a competitive match warrants a violent assault in a bar.

That's because it doesn't, only a knuckle dragger would think it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I never understand why somebody gets upset with the lad dipping your misses or with a women stepping somebody's man. They are not responsible for your partners infidelity , that lies 100% with the person cheating.

People are emotionally complex creatures, and when you're feeling the most vulnerable and betrayed is not generally a time when cold logic and reason are at the forefront of your mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement