Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Reportedly had an affair with his daughter's friend also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

On next season kit the badge may not be the city coat of arms as well that could be against the law and also open up kits to be counter fitted very easily as they cant trademark it

noodler wrote: »
    Reportedly had an affair with his daughter's friend also!

Didn't realise he had a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

So we are looking at Oxlade-Chamberlain and are not put off by the £35m valuation.

He is in the last year of his contract so I'd imagine he would go for a lot less than £35m.

Reckon 20 - 25 millon especially if the player pushes for it. Would take him as a squad player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

So we are looking at Oxlade-Chamberlain and are not put off by the £35m valuation.

He is in the last year of his contract so I'd imagine he would go for a lot less than £35m.

I like him as he is strong as an Ox.......but I would think with Wenger's upcoming departure (I think it will be end of season) most players will sit tight until the new boss arrives. Arsenal won't sell until it is approved by the new boss also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Didn't realise he had a kid.

teen_wolf_01.jpg

00096.png

When is Lallana back. He must be bored and posting what he thinks are great pictures and fashion online.
    How come footballs can't dress themselves.

Would be great to have him back for next game.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Oxlade-Chamberlain would be a useful squad member, nothing more imo. If we're looking to get an attacking starter I'd rather they be better than what we have, and I don't think he has shown that he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

00096.png

When is Lallana back. He must be bored and posting what he thinks are great pictures and fashion online.

Textbook leaning there. Must have signed a new contract or a few autographs to get that sort of slant.

I saw men play tonight for Juventus, we have no men in our squad let alone team.
    All great with the Coutinho's and Lallana's and Firmino who's in transition, all great with the teeth whitening and the girlie hair styles but we really need a few animals in there, a few good men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ox-Cham for 35m is clearly nuts even these days but as a utility attacking midfielder/winger type he'd have his uses for 20m. It would also keep up the Southampton heritage angle. Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I saw men play tonight for Juventus, we have no men in our squad let alone team.
    All great with the Coutinho's and Lallana's and Firmino who's in transition, all great with the teeth whitening and the girlie hair styles but we really need a few animals in there, a few good men.

a-few-good-men.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Do you like men?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Oxlaide-Chamberlain seems like a textbook Klopp signing. He's versatile in that he can play every position in midfield, his work rate and pressing is fantastic, seems like he has a great attitude and he's young enough to be moulded into the way of thinking Klopp wants.

He's young and he's English, though so that's the downfall. 35 is too much plus what wages would he ask for. I'd be happy to pay 25 million for him. He'd be a great option to have if we get champions league and he'd have more experience than most of our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

5starpool wrote: »
    Oxlade-Chamberlain would be a useful squad member, nothing more imo. If we're looking to get an attacking starter I'd rather they be better than what we have, and I don't think he has shown that he is.

He'd be a good utility MF and good cover for Mane when he's injured/rested/AFCON etc. Add some Klopp coaching and a system he'd be more suited to and I think he'd be a fine addition to the squad. He's only 23, seems to have a good attitude (despite the malaise at Arsenal) and still have plenty of time to fulfil his potential.

£25/£30m for a PL proven Ox in 2017 compared to the £20m spent on a 20 year old PL unproven Markovic in 2014 would be very good business IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

*cough* Sakho *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

£25/£30m for a PL proven Ox in 2017 compared to the £20m spent on a 20 year old PL unproven Markovic in 2014 would be very good business IMHO.

Markovic has probably had a better season this year :pac:

He'd be a good utility MF and good cover for Mane when he's injured/rested/AFCON etc. Add some Klopp coaching and a system he'd be more suited to and I think he'd be a fine addition to the squad. He's only 23, seems to have a good attitude (despite the malaise at Arsenal) and still have plenty of time to fulfil his potential.

He's definitely better than any backup we have at the minute, but I'd rather the mystery and excitement of us signing someone who I know less about than him, although that's riskier. If we can get him for a max of 20m and he won't be complaining that he isn't an automatic starter then fair enough, but if we're looking at paying close to the price mentioned I'd definitely rather Klopp look elsewhere.

Either way though, for now I'm still 100% behind Klopp using his judgement on these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

00096.png

All the same, you have to applaud FSGs dedication to incentive based contracts.

I'm sure a pair of jeans is the first thing he'll buy when he's back playing and getting paid again.

The absolute state of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

At this point of the season you can't expect to hear anything too concrete (especially as we're not in the CL yet), but I'd much rather the club be linked with players I know are going to improve our starting eleven rather than the type of undervalued potential talent we've been signing as a Europa League club. Oxelade Chamberlain with a year left on his deal is exactly the type of player that would tick the club''s 'distressed asset' boxes, but I really really hope they're inclined to look at better players than him if we finish top 4 this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

35m for the ox ?? Was hoping to be linked to players better than that! I dunno. I never really thought much about him as a player. Arsene Wenger eulogies about how good he is yet he cant get into a struggling arsenal team. He seems to fit the Klopp mould though...attacking midfielder who can play in numerous positions but of the times I've seen him play he's never, if rarely, stood out than anything more than 'good'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Ox is a good starting point, we need to build the squad with quality not every signing will be in our 1st choice starting eleven. As we have seen this season injuries play a pivotal role. Therefore, your starting eleven really becomes about a squad of 16/18 that will help us tackle the trophy hunt across 4 competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I liked the teenage mutant ninja turtles as much as the next kid growing up , but signing the OX is not the way forward.
    His price and wages demands should put paid to this fairly quickly anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

35million for an Arsenal reserve? No thanks. People will probably convince themselves it's a shrewd signing because it's Klopp doing the buying but ffs surely we can do better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He's worth maybe half that and will be in his last year of his contract.........I mean, he'd be a good option to have but surely we can get someone better for that quoted price....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

35million for an Arsenal reserve? No thanks. People will probably convince themselves it's a shrewd signing because it's Klopp doing the buying but ffs surely we can do better than that.

I mean, most people said the same when buying Mane and Wijnaldum.

"FFS. Too expensive. Not good enough. Can do better".

Think hefferboi put it best, for me. Like him as a player, but any more than 25m and you'd have to raise an eyebrow at that.

Edit: Didn't realise he was on his last year of contract, according to Nuka above. That should definitely mean 15m tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The £35m is Arsenals valuation but on him.

Of course Arsenal not wanting to lose the player are going to a high value on the player to try and put off teams.

Liverpool aren't been put off by the price is what is been reported knowing he has a year left on his contract so they know if Ox wants to leave the price will drop.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yea if someone is being under- or badly-utilised at their current club that's not a reason to not buy them. Would be very happy with Ox, he would add plenty, would provide the ability to cover any of the front 6 positions bar no. 9 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Saw OxCham playing more centrally in a recent game for England and was surprised at how comfortable and effective he was there. Would improve current squad for sure, starting 11 - debatable. All in all I vote yes :-)

He's versatile, but his numbers are not impressive at all......I mean, he's not a goalscorer, he's not a playmaker, he's not solid defensively......35M for us means he's gotta be a starter, I dont see where he starts for us......

He's also missed like, 70+ games in the last 3/4 years.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'd sooner sign Theo (only half joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Knex. wrote: »
    I mean, most people said the same when buying Mane and Wijnaldum.

"FFS. Too expensive. Not good enough. Can do better".

Think hefferboi put it best, for me. Like him as a player, but any more than 25m and you'd have to raise an eyebrow at that.

Edit: Didn't realise he was on his last year of contract, according to Nuka above. That should definitely mean 15m tops.

I was happy with both Mane and Gini, they were both stand out players at their respective clubs at least and that dictated the big fees they cost, 35m for Ox would be criminal in all fairness not even considering he's supposedly only a year left on his contract, I mean I'd have him for about 10-15m alright, good solid squad option but 35m players even in this inflated market really ought to be nailed on 1st teamers tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

West Ham game moved to the Sunday at 2.15pm due to TV requirements. No Saturday for the rest of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The club are sick of missing out on Dembeles apparently:

http://readliverpoolfc.com/2017/04/12/liverpool-hold-talks-dembeles-representatives/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

5starpool wrote: »
    The absolute state of him.

All it needs is some graffiti on the wall to make it more "street"

LFC
    #5times

That should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No way is Ox-Chamb going for 35M with one year left on his contract. Personally I would not even pay 15M for him. Misses too many games and his stats are not good anyway when he does play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

wouldn't say for £20 to £25m, £35m is way too much though. I trust Klopp though the last window was one of the most successful in a long time, we gained 3 proper starting players in Wiji, Mane and Matip. If we could add 3 more of similar caliber in the next window I'd be extremely happy.

Klopps 3 best signings for LFC were successful because they solved a need in the team. A versatile player to keep the ball moving from CM, a direct fast goal scorer and a level headed strong CB. What problem is Chamberlain solving? I trust Klopp but even 20M is way too much for him IMO. Dont see anything in his game that will improve us and I'm not excited about buying squad players for crazy prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

NukaCola wrote: »
    Klopps 3 best signings for LFC were successful because they solved a need in the team. A versatile player to keep the ball moving from CM, a direct fast goal scorer and a level headed strong CB. What problem is Chamberlain solving? I trust Klopp but even 20M is way too much for him IMO. Dont see anything in his game that will improve us and I'm not excited about buying squad players for crazy prices.

Feck all depth, speed or CL experience.

I think he'd work great in Lallana's position or in any of the supporting attack roles, tbh. He presses hard, is aggressive in trying to win the ball, brave when he's on it, especially taking players on, and has shown in the past that he can have games where he's the best player on the park. Regardless of who's the opposition.

Sure he has issues and the 35m reported there is mad, but if we got him for 25 or so I think most people would be happy with him. He's still only 23. That's 3 years younger than Wijnaldum and 5 younger than Lallana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

As well as building a first 11 need to be building a bench that is where a player like Ox would fit for me if he was to play in cup games and be on the bench for league games I wouldn't have an issue with that he also has European experience.

If one of the front six got injured or missed a game having a player like Ox on the bench would be alot better than what we have now.

He may also improve to push for a starting place.

This summer £20/30m going to be the new £10/15m for a player.

Knex. wrote: »
    Feck all depth, speed or CL experience.

I think he'd work great in Lallana's position or in any of the supporting attack roles, tbh. He presses hard, is aggressive in trying to win the ball, brave when he's on it, especially taking players on, and has shown in the past that he can have games where he's the best player on the park. Regardless of who's the opposition.

Sure he has issues and the 35m reported there is mad, but if we got him for 25 or so I think most people would be happy with him. He's still only 23. That's 3 years younger than Wijnaldum and 5 younger than Lallana.

Me and you will disagree on him Knex, I really dont see what you're seeing at all......I see a player who doesn't score or assist enough in attacking positions and I think he'd be a 5th choice CM in our squad, he'd be behind Wij/Lallana/Henderson/Can IMO. I wouldn't be against signing him as we need cover but if its big money I'll be fairly disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

NukaCola wrote: »
    Me and you will disagree on him Knex, I really dont see what you're seeing at all......I see a player who doesn't score or assist enough in attacking positions and I think he'd be a 5th choice CM in our squad, he'd be behind Wij/Lallana/Henderson/Can IMO. I wouldn't be against signing him as we need cover but if its big money I'll be fairly disappointed.

Have to say I'm siding with Nuka on this one.

Too expensive for a player who is just alright as far as I've ever seen.

I don't see him dislodging any of our current starters and, while I accept that we also need to build a squad, he would still represent a real drop in quality if replacing most of the front 6 in the case of an injury.

He's the type of player I can see absolutely thriving at a team aiming for 9th-14th, but just getting lost at a team above that where there's competition for places, etc.

For his reported price, I reckon we could sign far, far better players.

That said, it's all a hypothetical anyway - the entire Arsenal team will be linked with moves until Wenger's situation is sorted out. But during a long midweek of no games for us, at least it gives the forum a lift in traffic :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't think Oxlade- Chamberlain is good enough for our first 11 and I don't think he'd want to come to us to warm the bench.

Don't see how it would work out. No way I'd spend £35-40 mill on a squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Chamberlain is a good player. But the worry would be he is injury prone & he hasn't progressed much in the last 4-5 years at all.
    Wouldn't be totally against signing him for 20m not 35m.
    I would go for Traore goes past players better than anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.football365.com/news/five-overpriced-englishmen-available-this-summer

On this exact topic...
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (35 million English pounds)
    ‘Liverpool are refusing to be put off by Liverpool’s £35m valuation of Oxlade-Chamberlain’ it says in the Daily Mirror. But they really bloody should be. How can a player who has started only 12 Premier League games for the team in sixth be considered worthy of a £35m outlay to the team in third?

We suspect a lot of managers look at Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and believe there is a magnificent player there, if only they could somehow harness his potential and fix his confidence. But £35m? For a player who has never started more than 17 Premier League games in a season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It's bs, it has to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

brevity wrote: »
    It's bs, it has to be.

It very likely is.
    No Liverpool journalists have said Chamberlain is a target & Klopp said the story was nonsense in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

MD1990 wrote: »
    Chamberlain is a good player. But the worry would be he is injury prone & he hasn't progressed much in the last 4-5 years at all.
    Wouldn't be totally against signing him for 20m not 35m.
    I would go for Traore goes past players better than anyone.

Now we are talking! :) As soon as it is confirmed Boro are down I would go straight for Traore personally. He is 21 now and hasn't quite got as many first team appearances for his age as I would like but he lightning quick with or without the ball at his feet. Can dribble and is willing to run at people. Also he is very raw and exactly the type of player Klopp would love to mould into his type of player. Would be relatively cheap too, another thing klopp seems to be fond of.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement