Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

mormank wrote: »
    Now we are talking! :) As soon as it is confirmed Boro are down I would go straight for Traore personally. He is 21 now and hasn't quite got as many first team appearances for his age as I would like but he lightning quick with or without the ball at his feet. Can dribble and is willing to run at people. Also he is very raw and exactly the type of player Klopp would love to mould into his type of player. Would be relatively cheap too, another thing klopp seems to be fond of.
    I think a few big teams will be in for Traore. Chelsea were linked & I could see Spurs or City going for him. I think he would cost about 20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Cant see A: Arsenal selling him to a rival B: Selling at all if a new manager is going to be appointed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Carra does go on Pilsbury Doughboy style meltdowns on Twitter every now and then.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Always watching. :D
    Circle jerk ahoy!

Have a good one lads.

The thread has been going well recently without any of this, so this is a friendly reminder: you will be carded with no further warning if you do it again. This applies to everyone as a general reminder. The next card for a couple of you highlighted carry bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think a few big teams will be in for Traore. Chelsea were linked & I could see Spurs or City going for him. I think he would cost about 20m.

Sure but we could offer him alot more first team football than those teams, except maybe spurs, and Klopp must be a huge draw for a young player as they know he has no worries whatsoever about using them. Depends if he wants to follow the money or personal development I guess. 20mill price tag for him doesn't bother me even if it is more than I had imagined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Personally I think the whole Oxlade Chamberlain thing is smoke and mirrors...he's got a year left on his contract and he's looking for a better deal from Arsenal...wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

On Traore...he's in the wrong sport. He's more of a 100 metre sprinter than a footballer. Fast as lightening but zero end product and totally brainless. No thanks.

Personally I think the whole Oxlade Chamberlain thing is smoke and mirrors...he's got a year left on his contract and he's looking for a better deal from Arsenal...wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

On Traore...he's in the wrong sport. He's more of a 100 metre sprinter than a footballer. Fast as lightening but zero end product and totally brainless. No thanks.

Reminds me of Sterling when he was younger, all pace no end product.

Vicxas wrote: »

I'm not sure which side of the argument you land on when you choose a player who would waltz back into our starting 11 imo.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'm not sure which side of the argument you land on when you choose a player who would waltz back into our starting 11 imo.. :confused:

Who's he replacing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Vicxas wrote: »

More like Ibe... Sterling always had plenty of end product (aside from being a poor enough finisher). His bit of intelligence on the ball is what set him apart when he was a kid. Always been great to spot a pass or a run.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Who's he replacing?

Ha. I knew someone would reply with something like that. It doesn't matter, the point is if Traore turned out to be as good as Sterling I would happily take 1 or 2 seasons of him being 1 of our 1st subs. Remember we are trying to grow a squad, not just a starting 11. To that end he would be a great addition imo. Imagine we had his pace to rely on when Mane was away or him and Mane either side when Coutinho was out etc...Plus then he could take Coutinho's spot when he eventually gets his move to Barca.

On another note, can we just go throw some money at Monaco? Mbappe looks well worth an otherwise ludicrous bid - poxy goal today, but always looks electric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    On another note, can we just go throw some money at Monaco? Mbappe looks well worth an otherwise ludicrous bid - poxy goal today, but always looks electric.

utd did that when they paid crazy money for Martial throwing money for kids doesn't always work when they move Country and Monaco would want crazy money for most of there team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wouldn't have sterling in our starting 11.

I wouldn't have sterling in our starting 11.

Cool.

utd did that when they paid crazy money for Martial throwing money for kids doesn't always work when they move Country.

That move already looks far less crazy than it did initially. To be honest, I think over the longer term, they'll have been proven right on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who's he replacing?

Mane until the end of the season! :D

Sterling would actually have a hard job dislodging any of the front 5 - the system is set up so they synchronise - throw in another wide pace man and clearly the pack would need to be reshuffled and would I take Lallana's tricky press out? Nope, would I say no to Coutinho's weaving and threading? nope, would I say nay to Mane's trickery at speed and lethal shooting? Nope, Would I dump Fun Bobby's first defender ethos and space creation nous? Nein. Could I see what happened without Wijnaldum facilitation factor as he knits the middle and front together? Well maybe but it would mean playing Coutinho in a different way.

Nope ultimately Sterling would end up as Mane's in-fill if everyone else is fit, which of course they never are, so yeah as a squad player he'd have a place certainly!

Half you guys are far too focused on the starting 11 anyway. It's all starting 11...starting 11. Chelsea has been an aberration this season as they have no European competition but you guys do realise that most of the big teams don't have a starting 11 which they play week in week out throughout the entire season right?? I mean, sure they might have a generally agreed upon best 11 but those 11 will rarely make it onto the field together throughout the season due to many different factors such as injuries and international duty. As such a squad is needed and utilised throughout the season. To that end we should be looking at players like OX and Traore. I'm not saying both would start for us each week.

Ha. I knew someone would reply with something like that. It doesn't matter, the point is if Traore turned out to be as good as Sterling I would happily take 1 or 2 seasons of him being 1 of our 1st subs. Remember we are trying to grow a squad, not just a starting 11. To that end he would be a great addition imo. Imagine we had his pace to rely on when Mane was away or him and Mane either side when Coutinho was out etc...Plus then he could take Coutinho's spot when he eventually gets his move to Barca.

I meant who would Sterling replace in our starting 11. I think it does matter when you say he'd waltz straight back into our starting 11.....I'm just curious who you'd leave out.......

As for Traore, I'd take him no problem, I'm more interested in why you think Sterling starts ahead of Mané/Coutinho/Firmino....

That move already looks far less crazy than it did initially. To be honest, I think over the longer term, they'll have been proven right on that one.

Thats all well and good for a team that can spend £50m on a teen wait a couple of years for him to bed in like utd who have money to burn.

We need experienced players now you can jump straight into the squad and play at a level that's needed.

• Advertisement

Half you guys are far too focused on the starting 11 anyway. It's all starting 11...starting 11. Chelsea has been an aberration this season as they have no European competition but you guys do realise that most of the big teams don't have a starting 11 which they play week in week out throughout the entire season right?? I mean, sure they might have a generally agreed upon best 11 but those 11 will rarely make it onto the field together throughout the season due to many different factors such as injuries and international duty. As such a squad is needed and utilised throughout the season. To that end we should be looking at players like OX and Traore. I'm not saying both would start for us each week.

At the same time, I think its a fair concern that when we spend 35M, it should be spent on a player that would actually fit into our best team, not a player that will be a decent backup or option.

I wouldn't go anywhere near traore for more than 5 million. He has zero end product granted he has potential.

Thats all well and good for a team that can spend £50m on a teen wait a couple of years for him to bed in like utd who have money to burn.

We need experienced players now you can jump straight into the squad and play at a level that's needed.

36m. And that bedding in youngster outscored our experienced proven PL striker Benteke who cost the same.

He's gone backwards a bit this season, but he's also playing in a team that's utterly dysfunctional when it comes to their forwards interplay.

I'd be pretty confident Mbappe will score 10+ league goals wherever he's at next season.

I meant who would Sterling replace in our starting 11. I think it does matter when you say he'd waltz straight back into our starting 11.....I'm just curious who you'd leave out.......

As for Traore, I'd take him no problem, I'm more interested in why you think Sterling starts ahead of Mané/Coutinho/Firmino....

Well ok I overstated it for effect trying to figure out which side of the srgument the guy who posted was on. Having said that I think he is basically on a par with those 3 to be perfectly honest. I'm not sure he would replace any of them but he would certainly get his fair share of starts if he was added to those 3 to make 4 players for 3 starting spots. He is actually a very Klopp style player imo, he is very tough for his size and presses well when asked. He was also very good for us in the no 10 role, not just on the wing which shows his versatilty. As someone else mentioned he has really good game intelligence.

At the same time, I think its a fair concern that when we spend 35M, it should be spent on a player that would actually fit into our best team, not a player that will be a decent backup or option.

Why can't we have a 35 million pound player on the bench?? Almost every other top 6 side has.

36m. And that bedding in youngster outscored our experienced proven PL striker Benteke who cost the same.

He's gone backwards a bit this season, but he's also playing in a team that's utterly dysfunctional when it comes to their forwards interplay.

I'd be pretty confident Mbappe will score 10+ league goals wherever he's at next season.

Mbappe even now isn't even in our price range if he leaves Monaco he go to one top 5/6 teams in Europe where he doesn't have to be the star player and can be bedded in over a couple of seasons.

The same goes for most of those Monaco kids.

We are shopping in a different market altogether.

Mbappe even now isn't even in our price range if he leaves Monaco he go to one top 5/6 teams in Europe where he doesn't have to be the star player and can be bedded in over a couple of seasons.

The same goes for most of those Monaco kids.

We are shopping in a different market altogether.

We are, but im not sure we need to be. We're far from poor, and perhaps the only chance we have to get top level players, is to get them young when we can offer plenty of playing opportunities.

Why can't we have a 35 million pound player on the bench?? Almost every other top 6 side has.

That is the thing the top teams that win leagues and European Cups 99% of the time have great benches to call upon.

Look at our bench right now and it actually shows how well we are doing to be 3rd in the league.

Do you honestly believe he's worth 35M? He would probably get into our best 11 if he was.

That is the thing the top teams that win leagues and European Cups 99% of the time have great benches to call upon.

Look at our bench right really and it actually shows how well we are doing to be 3rd in the league.

Exactly - we've fielded our first 11 only a bare handful of times this season as it is. Rather than a first 11, the game now is really more like a first 15 who could each easily be starting 25+ games a season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's why CL football is so important, beyond any notions of money and prestige it's how you build a genuine quality squad with depth.

It's why CL football is so important, beyond any notions of money and prestige it's how you build a genuine quality squad with depth.

You really need 2 very good players for every position if you want to play in Europe and challenge for top honours. We are a long way from that.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    You really need 2 very good players for every position if you want to play in Europe and challenge for top honours. We are a long way from that.

Im sure if we get CL we'll see some amount of movement this summer.

Do you honestly believe he's worth 35M? He would probably get into our best 11 if he was.

No not at all! But I'm merely questioning the idea that we couldn't have a 35 mill player on the bench. Let's say Mane had a twin, exact same type player and same standard. I would happily purchase him for 35mill and have him on the bench when all players are fit.

Lads, this Dortmund Monaco game has been a cracker, with Aubemayang missing a golden opportunity to equalise in the last minute. Point is, I can't help but think back to our semi with Dortmund and how we showed we could match up to some of the best teams in Europe. If only we could figure out how to beat the weaker ones... :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lads, this Dortmund Monaco game has been a cracker, with Aubemayang missing a golden opportunity to equalise in the last minute. Point is, I can't help but think back to our semi with Dortmund and how we showed we could match up to some of the best teams in Europe. If only we could figure out how to beat the weaker ones... :(

Same problem in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Did alright against the weaker teams in Europe last season...sure we knocked United out without any difficulty.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Same problem in the league.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Did alright against the weaker teams in Europe last season...sure we knocked United out without any difficulty.

No no that's what I meant. The weaker teams in the league. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No no that's what I meant. The weaker teams in the league. :o

I know what you meant, but it was an open goal so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Our best 11 is the 6th best in the league. That's why we're talking about the reinforcing the first team.

Klopp and City, Utd and Arsenal all being below par is why we are where we are.

None of our front 6 are untouchable, except maybe Mane but that's assuming he comes back just as explosive as he was.

Everyone's having a **** over Coutinho again, but top class attacking players are looking at 25-odd+ goals/assists per season, unless they're providing for even more prolific players or they have a fundamental effect on the general effectiveness and coherency of how the team uses the ball (not all players are measured in goals, of course).

We absolutely should be looking to replace every single one of them depending on what targets are available.
    For starters, our front 3 are all extremely flexible, so if we nominally replace two, they can shift around (Firmino behind the striker, Coutinho into Lallana's spot), and there'll be injuries, Europe and all that.

When everyone's fit and everything goes right we look top class against many kinds of team.
    We need to be able to systematically put all teams away without being on song.
    That's about quality and we don't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'd take the Monaco full backs. Those crosses are brilliant! Means we can get Andy Carroll back then.

Gbear wrote: »
    Our best 11 is the 6th best in the league. That's why we're talking about the reinforcing the first team.

Klopp and City, Utd and Arsenal all being below par is why we are where we are.

None of our front 6 are untouchable, except maybe Mane but that's assuming he comes back just as explosive as he was.

Everyone's having a **** over Coutinho again, but top class attacking players are looking at 25-odd+ goals/assists per season, unless they're providing for even more prolific players or they have a fundamental effect on the general effectiveness and coherency of how the team uses the ball (not all players are measured in goals, of course).

We absolutely should be looking to replace every single one of them depending on what targets are available.
    For starters, our front 3 are all extremely flexible, so if we nominally replace two, they can shift around (Firmino behind the striker, Coutinho into Lallana's spot), and there'll be injuries, Europe and all that.

When everyone's fit and everything goes right we look top class against many kinds of team.
    We need to be able to systematically put all teams away without being on song.
    That's about quality and we don't have it.
    The difference with our first eleven is that there is a balance to the team and it functions well. So although you may on paper only have the 6th best players the team connects and can be devastating going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I think city's and Chelsea's first eleven are better than ours and that we're about on par with spurs and arsenals and United's are worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I think city's and Chelsea's first eleven are better than ours and that we're about on par with spurs and arsenals and United's are worse

I agree with all of that except the Arsenal bit...we're better than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The difference with our first eleven is that there is a balance to the team and it functions well. So although you may on paper only have the 6th best players the team connects and can be devastating going forward.

Great but it isn't enough.

If we want to match the sheer quality and/or solidity of other teams we need to do that but with a higher aggregate level of quality in the team.

We'll probably finish the season 20 pts off the pace. That's a lot of ground to make up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

We have to get over the small minded concept of a big transfer player being in "our first 11". If we want to truly compete for the PL and be competitive in the CL we need a first 16 at a minimum.

Being afraid to spend proper money on a player who may be ranked 12-16 in the squad at the time of acquisition is a mindset we need to leave behind or else be content with always being a 6th to 3rd type team with the odd purple season where we come close to but don't win the PL and maybe sneak a domestic cup.

No thanks. Look how that's worked out for Arsenal over the last 10 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nah.

Crazy money for average.

Spurs have a much better balanced team than us. Really good goalkeeper and solid back 4 and just as good as us going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

There is a difference between having expensive quality players on the bench and having expensive dross on the bench.

Spend the 35 million, just not on Alex Oxford Chamberlain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Alan Oxbow Churchill just isn't worth that kind of money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement