Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea play with two DM's to support there three at the back.

Those two DM's give there fullbacks the freedom to play so high.

So they can switch between 3/5 and 7 at the back when needed giving there front 3 the freedom to play as they want.

We play a back two with no real DM in front of them and it is basically 8 attackers in front of our back 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

i'm slowly coming round to the idea of Mignolet being ok as a goalkeeper, it's more the defense in front of him that's unsettling. Mentally as much as anything.

If we had a getter defensive coordinator in there that might even help too - if someone like Mourinho had the same defense to work with, I get the implression they'd be a lot more solid.
    True, but do we really need 10 defenders starting each game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Is there anything to be said for signing Schmeichel, He's a proven league winning keeper, although he's probably not much of an upgrade on our current Keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

hefferboi wrote: »
    A world class defensive midfielder is more important than a world class keeper, imo. If we had a fully fit Kante for the whole of this season I think we'd be either top now or a point or two off it.

Over a third of our goals are conceded from set pieces/penalties though......not sure a DM would solve all our problems either tbh.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Is there anything to be said for signing Schmeichel, He's a proven league winning keeper, although he's probably not much of an upgrade on our current Keepers.

I'd take him but I don't expect we'll be signing another goalkeeper this Summer. I genuinely think Klopp is happy with what he has there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

If he's not an upgrade, why sign him then?

I think a more combatant (slightly more defensive-minded) midfielder makes a big difference. I am a strong advocate of getting rid of Lovern too as first choice. They're the first two things I'd address. I'd like to try Sakho with Matip for the latter issue and possibly a Kessie / Keita / Carvalho for a little steel in midfield (but comfortable going forward too). Plenty of other areas need addressing too but that would be my first priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

noodler wrote: »
    I think you are being very kind to Can. He pretty much had months where he was terrible. Wini has been consistent. Its not even close for me.

I hope he maintains his current form but I can't let it blind me from how he has played for most of the season.

Perhaps, but I was very critical of him before his run of form, which if reports are to be believed, is also when he shrugged off his injury.

Its why I would still go with Wjinaldum as well, but I feel its unfair to not highlight the impact Can has had in the past few weeks, and I do think its a dilemma for Klopp when they're all fit.

I'd take him but I don't expect we'll be signing another goalkeeper this Summer. I genuinely think Klopp is happy with what he has there.

I don't think he's any better ability wise than our current number one, but he's strides ahead in terms of being a commanding force at the back, He is alot more intimidating to both his own and opposing defenders which is a big plus.

I wouldn't mind seeing us sign another keeper and let the three of them fight it out for number one, with the current number 3 being cut lose obviously.

Knex. wrote: »
    Perhaps, but I was very critical of him before his run of form, which if reports are to be believed, is also when he shrugged off his injury.

Its why I would still go with Wjinaldum as well, but I feel its unfair to not highlight the impact Can has had in the past few weeks, and I do think its a dilemma for Klopp when they're all fit.

It is a tricky one but I'd hope to see Hendo, Lallana and Wiji as the midfield when all are fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It is a tricky one but I'd hope to see Hendo, Lallana and Wiji as the midfield when all are fit.

I'd rather see the "Can that turns up" than Hendo in there personally, if his crapness playing earlier in the season was to do with injury he should not have been playing...

The Can of the last few weeks has been great...

When all that contract stuff came up a while ago I thought get rid of him as he wasn't offering much but he has been great recently IMO

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'd rather see the "Can that turns up" than Hendo in there personally, if his crapness playing earlier in the season was to do with injury he should not have been playing...

When all that contract stuff came up a while ago I thought get rid of him as he wasn't offering much but he has been great recently IMO

I still prefer Hendo in midfield over can, I think he offers substantially more offensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Cheers,im going to boro game anyway so not fussed about that😊

Don't you want to record it so you can go home and try and spot yourself afterward?

i'm slowly coming round to the idea of Mignolet being ok as a goalkeeper, it's more the defense in front of him that's unsettling. Mentally as much as anything.

If we had a getter defensive coordinator in there that might even help too - if someone like Mourinho had the same defense to work with, I get the implression they'd be a lot more solid.

I think Mignolet has played well since Karius' injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

:confused::confused:

Henderson was crap earlier in the season ??? Really??
    I thought we were chasing top of the table at one stage, playing some great football, with him in the team...must have been mistaken.
    Henderson would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me when fully fit. For a guy that had a difficult beginning to his Liverpool career, had to win over the fans etc etc I think he's been excellent the last few years and has grown into a very good captain for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Henderson was crap earlier in the season ??? Really??
    I thought we were chasing top of the table at one stage, playing some great football, with him in the team...must have been mistaken.
    Henderson would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me when fully fit. For a guy that had a difficult beginning to his Liverpool career, had to win over the fans etc etc I think he's been excellent the last few years and has grown into a very good captain for us.

No, Can was crap at the start of the season

I don't rate Henderson as much as a lot of you lads here so maybe I'm a bit biased

No, Can was crap at the start of the season

I don't rate Henderson as much as a lot of you lads here so maybe I'm a bit biased

Ah right, i read it wrong then.
    I think Henderson has got better and better as his career has progressed. He got some amount of assists last year and chipped in with a few goals too, along with his workrate, and non stop action for 90 minutes, he's been brilliant for us. This after he could have left the club a few times but he stayed and fought for his place and is now captain of the club... there's a lot to be said for that. (especially when you see the likes of walcott captaining arsenal this week!!)

When you said new, I didn't realise you meant newborn:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

hefferboi wrote: »
    A world class defensive midfielder is more important than a world class keeper, imo. If we had a fully fit Kante for the whole of this season I think we'd be either top now or a point or two off it.

We would still be conceding a lot of goals from set pieces . The team is too small. Kante as good as he is I don't think he would make a huge difference to our points haul.

Mentioned it a few months back I think but what about Grzegorz Krychowiak? hasnt been getting his game at all at PSG since his big money move from Seville. Could be an option.. at a cut price too!

• Advertisement

We would still be conceding a lot of goals from set pieces . The team is too small. Kante as good as he is I don't think he would make a huge difference to our points haul.

I think simply seeing the difference he has made for Chelsea this season, and Leicester last year, flies in the face of that somewhat.

Kante is a special player, though. I don't think just signing an absolute DM will quite cover the impact that he offers. He's just a world class player.

Same way Suarez was when he had us in the title run, or Van Persie for United when they last won it. World class players, regardless of position, will drag their teams higher up the table. We currently have zero world class players, for want of a better term.

For those saying we don't need to upgrade on the front three, adding the likes of Suarez or Torres (when we signed them) would have a massive impact on this team, even if that is potentially our strongest area.

Frankly, we need to improve everywhere if we want to challenge for stuff. Was it Gbear who said earlier we've the 6th best squad in the league? That's accurate for me.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Mentioned it a few months back I think but what about Grzegorz Krychowiak? hasnt been getting his game at all at PSG since his big money move from Seville. Could be an option.. at a cut price too!

I'd think he'd sit on our bench, more often than not, with the way Klopp seems to set up. Not saying that's the right thing either, just the way our lineups and style has been trending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

think i seen somewhere that none of our remaining games are on a Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

think i seen somewhere that none of our remaining games are on a Saturday

Yep. It feels like the side has only played 3 PM Sat KO about 3 or 4 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Can strikes me as a someone who needs to be playing all the time to get the best out of him. It keeps him match sharp and lets him get into a rhythm. He's been like a different player over the past 6 weeks or so playing regularly. When he's coming off the bench or starting the odd game here or there he just looks off the pace at times.

Joao Mario really impressed me at Euro 2016. Unfortunately Inter snapped him up, don't know how he has done over there though.

Did you know that a certain channel is fta at the moment (not sure how long this has been the case - I just did a rescan of the non free sat channels are there it is)?

It's been free to air since the Legends game against Madrid.

I think they are giving a free month to tempt people to subscribe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Can strikes me as a someone who needs to be playing all the time to get the best out of him. It keeps him match sharp and lets him get into a rhythm. He's been like a different player over the past 6 weeks or so playing regularly. When he's coming off the bench or starting the odd game here or there he just looks off the pace at times.

I think he has just improved his tactical positioning and his awareness of players around him on the pitch, his decision making a lot better also. He seems to know his strengths now. It took a while but he's starting to look like a viable midfield option, am pleased for the club to see players working on their game and progressing.

• Advertisement

Apparently Barca have decided to have a massive clean out of their squad for next season and Mascherano and Arda Turan are two of the players being left leave.

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/gran-revolucion-barcelona-5971186

The bad news is Coutinho is being linked with a move there. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Apparently Barca have decided to have a massive clean out of their squad for next season and Mascherano and Arda Turan are two of the players being left leave.

Don't see coutinho going yet...he'd be part of the front 3 and he ain't ousting any of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Don't see coutinho going yet...he'd be part of the front 3 and he ain't ousting any of them

They could slot him in as an Iniesta replacement though.

He'd be Iniesta's replacement.

He signed a new contract with no buyout clause in it,

With the way transfer fees are going the club shouldn't except anything less that £100m and if it's Barca I'd want it all up front none of this pay over a few years crap.

If they want him that badly an up front payment and of course add-ons then as well.

He'd be Iniesta's replacement.

Id have thought Denis Suarez was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Id have thought Denis Suarez was.

Well it's absolutely, certainly not Andre Gomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He signed a new contract with no buyout clause in it,

With the way transfer fees are going the club shouldn't except anything less that £100m and if it's Barca I'd want it all up front none of this pay over a few years crap.

If they want him that badly an up front payment and of course add-ons then as well.

or Suarez as part payment.... (and not Denis)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

or Suarez as part payment.... (and not Denis)

Kloop wouldn't buy suarz he's 30 already

Bad News Barrett in Joe.co.uk

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-ready-to-challenge-chelsea-and-manchester-city-for-the-signature-of-virgil-van-dijk-121636?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=onsite_share
    LIVERPOOL are ready to challenge Chelsea and Manchester City for the signature of Virgil van Dijk, as the race to sign the Southampton defender continues to intensify.

Jurgen Klopp has identified van Dijk as his favoured option as he looks to bolster his defence this summer and with Liverpool’s prospects of securing Champions League football growing their hopes of being in a position to compete for the best available talent are also rising....

...Klopp intends to strengthen the spine of his team this summer and is also in the market for a top class midfielder with Naby Keita, Red Bull Leipzig’s much coveted Guinea international who is represented by the same agent as Sadio Mane, the subject of strong interest from Liverpool.

Kloop wouldn't buy suarz he's 30 already

Bought Klavan at 30........maybe theres hope :pac:

• Advertisement

From that article

"while Ronald Koeman also covets the Holland international but is aware that he will be facing an uphill battle to convince van Dijk to move to Goodison Park unless Everton are able to offer him Champions League football."

:pac: classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

NukaCola wrote: »
    From that article

"while Ronald Koeman also covets the Holland international but is aware that he will be facing an uphill battle to convince van Dijk to move to Goodison Park unless Everton are able to offer him Champions League football."

Not unless they buy him and loan him to a club in the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

NukaCola wrote: »
    From that article

Barrett is a funny ****er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Oh what I'd give to have Mascherano back - even at 32, he's pure class.

Actually, the two of them would add something we are sorely lacking - experience and a winning mentality.

Those two, plus some young, exciting players like Naby Keita, etc. wouldn't be a bad way to go....

I'd be surprised, though.

Re: Van Dijk - I have said it all along, I won't lose any sleep if we miss out. He'll join Chelsea and be a superstar because of how they set their team up. But if he joins us or City, he'll see a drop in performance (just like Lovren, Fonte, etc when they left Southampton)

No doubt he's one of the better CBs in the league, but adding any CB into our current system just highlights weaknesses in their game because we are over-balanced towards our attack. Either we tilt our balance back towards the defence (say, by having our full backs actually defend or a solid DM in front of the CBs) or we accept that our defence is always gonna be a little shakey.

He would, however, be a boost in the air and at set pieces, so that's something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Oh what I'd give to have Mascherano back - even at 32, he's pure class.

Actually, the two of them would add something we are sorely lacking - experience and a winning mentality.

Those two, plus some young, exciting players like Naby Keita, etc. wouldn't be a bad way to go....

I'd be surprised, though.

Re: Van Dijk - I have said it all along, I won't lose any sleep if we miss out. He'll join Chelsea and be a superstar because of how they set their team up. But if he joins us or City, he'll see a drop in performance (just like Lovren, Fonte, etc when they left Southampton)

No doubt he's one of the better CBs in the league, but adding any CB into our current system just highlights weaknesses in their game because we are over-balanced towards our attack. Either we tilt our balance back towards the defence (say, by having our full backs actually defend or a solid DM in front of the CBs) or we accept that our defence is always gonna be a little shakey.

He would, however, be a boost in the air and at set pieces, so that's something.

Not convinced by your thesis here. Spurs, for example, have one of the best defences in the league along with an attacking force that functions much like ours. The key ddifference is that they have one of the best keepers and two dependable CBs along with very energetic DMs in Dier and Wanyama. It can be done.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've just read that we have never beaten a Pulis side away from home in the league. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Not convinced by your thesis here. Spurs, for example, have one of the best defences in the league along with an attacking force that functions much like ours. The key ddifference is that they have one of the best keepers and two dependable CBs along with very energetic DMs in Dier and Wanyama. It can be done.

Exactly start with a better keeper and then a better cb. Both those changes will have no impact on how we attack but will mean we concede less goals. Spurs FBS end up further forward than ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

No doubt it can be done, but we don't have the players for it right now.

The issue, as I see it, as that we put a major emphasis on attacking. Aside from Matip and Lovren (presuming we have our best XI out there), Henderson is the only player whose function is in any way defensive. Clyne and Milner focus on attack, looking for and creating space with their movement.

Every one of our players defends when put in the position to, but their focus is, for the most part, offensive.

Spurs, as you point out in your post, have two energetic DMs. Two more players with defensive duties on their mind - until we have something similar, we will get caught time and time again as far as I'm concerned.

Part of this could be mitigated by a better GK (but nobody is infallible) and better Cbs (positioning and movement are crucial) but I don't see our goals conceded column falling drastically until these changes are made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Now these would be some kits of next season

C9TV-aSXkAAZF3V.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Not digging the orange but the other two look awesome

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement