Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What happened the weird crest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Now these would be some kits of next season

pretty sure some lad on reddit did these?

5starpool wrote: »
    I've just read that we have never beaten a Pulis side away from home in the league. Madness.

I'd hope that record continues ;)
    But from your perspective youz are better off playing them at home, at least then they might play some attacking football and open the game up giving a better chance of a result.
    I'd say it's probably the toughest games that you have left which is much better when compared to Utd, Arsenal City ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

pretty sure some lad on reddit did these?

Should find out soon, home kit is set to be revealed soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think the crest change has been pretty much confirmed so I doubt they will be the kits. Which is a shame as I really like the home and away, wouldn't be too pushed on the 3rd one but it reminds me of my old team St Kevins so gets a pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    But from your perspective youz are better off playing them at home, at least then they might play some attacking football and open the game up giving a better chance of a result.
    I'd say it's probably the toughest games that you have left which is much better when compared to Utd, Arsenal City ect

It's hard to say which of our games will be toughest.

On paper, WBA are the best side so logically, they would be. But, Tony Pulis' teams tend to put their feet up around now and they've nothing to play for.

In comparison, Palace, Middlesbrough and West Ham have all been poor but are all scrapping to avoid relegation (West Ham less so tbf). Add in Palace's upturn in form and they could be more dangerous.

Southampton, also nothing to play for, but we've played them three times this year and have yet to score. They seem to have our number.

I dunno - either way, you'd be hoping that Pool have enough about them to get the points necessary for the top 4, but I'm expecting a few uncomfortable afternoons.

It's hard to say which of our games will be toughest.

On paper, WBA are the best side so logically, they would be. But, Tony Pulis' teams tend to put their feet up around now and they've nothing to play for.

In comparison, Palace, Middlesbrough and West Ham have all been poor but are all scrapping to avoid relegation (West Ham less so tbf). Add in Palace's upturn in form and they could be more dangerous.

Southampton, also nothing to play for, but we've played them three times this year and have yet to score. They seem to have our number.

I dunno - either way, you'd be hoping that Pool have enough about them to get the points necessary for the top 4, but I'm expecting a few uncomfortable afternoons.

No chance of Europa? I wouldn't say it's beyond them yet.
    I'd agree Palace will be tricky, getting good results of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

10 pts off Europa place as it stands with 6 games left - highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I've just read that we have never beaten a Pulis side away from home in the league. Madness.

Yeah I read a few quotes from Pulis there this morning and he's pretty bullish about his team getting a result. They demolished Arsenal there a few weeks back, and our defense is similarly porous.

It'd be a shame to hand the impetus back to Arsenal and Man Utd, but there is probably a few twists and turns left in this run-in.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I think the crest change has been pretty much confirmed so I doubt they will be the kits. Which is a shame as I really like the home and away, wouldn't be too pushed on the 3rd one but it reminds me of my old team St Kevins so gets a pass.

Apparently they can't use the city crest on the kits, so they are keeping the liver bird with just 125 years on a ribbon below it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What happened the weird crest?

Yes. That annoys me. Use the full crest ffs. Also, prefer these not to be so form fitting and enjoy a collar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Oh what I'd give to have Mascherano back - even at 32, he's pure class.

Actually, the two of them would add something we are sorely lacking - experience and a winning mentality.

Those two, plus some young, exciting players like Naby Keita, etc. wouldn't be a bad way to go....

I'd be surprised, though.

Re: Van Dijk - I have said it all along, I won't lose any sleep if we miss out. He'll join Chelsea and be a superstar because of how they set their team up. But if he joins us or City, he'll see a drop in performance (just like Lovren, Fonte, etc when they left Southampton)

No doubt he's one of the better CBs in the league, but adding any CB into our current system just highlights weaknesses in their game because we are over-balanced towards our attack. Either we tilt our balance back towards the defence (say, by having our full backs actually defend or a solid DM in front of the CBs) or we accept that our defence is always gonna be a little shakey.

He would, however, be a boost in the air and at set pieces, so that's something.

Ah I'd love masch back in his prime but he's past it now, imo. He'd be a great squad player with experience for way less wages but he'd probably be looking for 200k a week.

Imagine we re signed mascherano, got Alonso to put off retirement for a year and got Torres on loan :P

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Yes. That annoys me. Use the full crest ffs. Also, prefer these not to be so form fitting and enjoy a collar.

I would prefer this one

article-2373176-1AEF97D4000005DC-868_196x242.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They'll be without Sakho against us, which could help. Definitely one if the more concern games, though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

On paper our fixtures are good, but it could go any way really. The only fixture I'd be reasonably confident about at this stage would be Middlesboro at home on the last day of the season unless they are somehow still in with a chance of staying up at that point, which is unlikely.

• Advertisement

hefferboi wrote: »
    Ah I'd love masch back in his prime but he's past it now, imo. He'd be a great squad player with experience for way less wages but he'd probably be looking for 200k a week.

Imagine we re signed mascherano, got Alonso to put off retirement for a year and got Torres on loan
    :P

Arbeloa will be free in the summer and I'm pretty sure Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt and Albert Riera might still be floating around too.

That answers our demand for pace, pressing, experience and whatever the hell Riera does...

:p:o

Hopefully Palace will win this weekend, and Watford too as they are the next couple of clubs we play, and the more points they have the better so that they might be less keen to win against us.

They'll be without Sakho against us, which could help. Definitely one if the more concern games, though.

I'm not getting the sudden Sakho hype.
    Well TBF alot of Utd fans did the same thing with Johnny Evans when he left.

He has played well for Palace tbf. But I think a lot of people (and not just Pool fans wondering how he will do!) are overlooking two factors in Palace's revival.

For one, Sakho's arrival coincided with a switch to a 4-2-3-1, defence-focused system. Prior to the break in January, Big Sam had continued the same system Pardew had employed, with players struggling. Since the switch, defence has improved, attackers are doing better - look at the change in Zaha, Townsend and Benteke in particular. It's not just Sakho!

Second part of it is the arrival of Luka Milivojević in DM. He has been excellent. Calm, composed and made everything tick. Breaking up the play and cycling the ball well - I reckon his arrival has been more important than Sakho's tbh - and that's not me trying to play down Sakho's form, which has been impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

A lot of us rated sakho while at Liverpool. He splits opinion the lads on newstalk constantly ridiculed him. He looks awkward but is excellent at playing the ball out from the back. I'd love to see him alongside matip but he obviously caused major problems for klopp to get rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Palace tactics help Sakho no end, full backs tucked in and someone sitting in front,
    it means he doesn't get dragged out wide or have to step into the pocket,
    Playing for us the full backs bomb on so your left with huge space down the sides, you need a more agile pacey centre back who has way more positional choices to make,

At Palace he just defends his space and blocks shot (due to a deep back four) which he is very good at, different horses for courses., for instance take Rio he'd look far more comfortable defending channels and using his brain to be in the correct potions than the type of defending Sakho does at Palace, Like attackers certain tactics suit certain defenders .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not hype and not sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I'm a keen advocate of giving Sakho another chance. There are better CBs out there, definitely, but he's a good player nonetheless. He's undeniably better than Lovern and Klavan in terms of positional sense and decision-making. He's a Liverpool player already and knows most of the squad, he's strong as an ox and decent in the air. He's shown he's prone to the odd brain fart when returning from injury but is otherwise quite solid, if not unorthodox looking (who cares if he looks like Bambi if he's effective?)

Given all that and knowing what fannies Liverpool can be in the transfer market, buying duds or potential, it seems a shame not to at least give a Sakho and Matip partnership a go. If it turns out to be good it would means precious funds could be spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That newspaper rag is being investigated for a racial hate crime when one of it's writers compared Barkley to a "gorilla at the zoo" while writing a piece on Barkley being punched in the night club.

Barkley's grandfather is Nigerian.

Then he went on to say men in Liverpool with similar pay-packets to Barkley are drug dealers.

That paper rag really doesn't learn it's lessons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39601728?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport&utoken=414498.25894.fcb05d74ae531467a0106cf60bf6e2c3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That newspaper rag is being investigated for a racial hate crime when one of it's writers compared Barkley to a "gorilla at the zoo" while writing a piece on Barkley being punched in the night club.

Barkley's grandfather is Nigerian.

Then he went on to say men in Liverpool with similar pay-packets to Barkley are drug dealers.

That paper rag really doesn't learn it's lessons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39601728?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport&utoken=414498.25894.fcb05d74ae531467a0106cf60bf6e2c3

I'd be very surprised if he'd meant the black/ape connection.
    Barkley doesn't look even remotely black.

Regardless, just pure slagging off of a player is piss poor quality journalism and that it's par for the course for the illiterate goons who run the Rag tells you quite enough about it to avoid it without even needing to go into their past crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

And do we think the timing was an accident?

That 'journalist' is the lowest of the low anyhow. Screaming prolonged death is too good for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Suspended from his post apparently.

Fun Bobby could be out of the game on Sunday the club waiting on a late fitness test.

Fun Bobby could be out of the game on Sunday the club waiting on a late fitness test.

Your buddy Sturridge is surely the replacement then if that's the case. Could go either way really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

K*lvin McK*nzie is a rectal prolapse of a human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Your buddy Sturridge is surely the replacement then if that's the case. Could go either way really.

After last week, it could easily be Woodburn again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Goddamn Firminho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just watched the presser there, seems like Gerrard isn't nailed on to coach the U-18's - Klopp just said he'll coach a team, but they haven't made the decision on which one yet. That's good, i'd rather him start with a younger team first, before moving up to the 18s. As Harry said before, the 18's is a pretty important squad, the most important behind the first team really.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just watched the presser there, seems like Gerrard isn't nailed on to coach the U-18's - Klopp just said he'll coach a team, but they haven't made the decision on which one yet. That's good, i'd rather him start with a younger team first, before moving up to the 18s. As Harry said before, the 18's is a pretty important squad, the most important behind the first team really.

It will be the u-18's though. I bet you one boards smugness point.

Kolasinac who we were linked with as a LB just signed for Arsenal.

Hoping that means Wenger is staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Kolasinac who we were linked with as a LB just signed for Arsenal.

Hoping that means Wenger is staying.

We "monitor" the bejaysus out of him for a year.

He signs for Arsenal.

Standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Were we in for him? If we fail to get Sessegnon then I will be more concerned, because we are reportedly in for him for LB.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Were we in for him? If we fail to get Sessegnon then I will be more concerned, because we are reportedly in for him for LB.

I heard months ago we were watching him but you hear a lot of things and it's hard to know what to believe really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

We "monitor" the bejaysus out of him for a year.

He signs for Arsenal.

Standard.

We should monitor Wenger :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ramos communicating before his goal against Bayern, literally creating the space he needed for the goal. Not Liverpool related, but pretty interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/RealMadridDNA2/videos/787796248050278/

ERG89 wrote: »
    We should monitor Wenger :p

I don't think we need to...he's not going anywhere just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I don't think we need to...he's not going anywhere just yet.

Rumours he has signed a new two year contract.

We'd never be that lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Knex. wrote: »
    Ramos communicating before his goal against Bayern, literally creating the space he needed for the goal. Not Liverpool related, but pretty interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/RealMadridDNA2/videos/787796248050278/

Was it not ruled out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

martyos121 wrote: »
    Was it not ruled out?

Yup, as he started his run just offside - doesn't take anything away from the organisation of the move though, which was the point of the video.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

retalivity wrote: »
    K*lvin McK*nzie is a rectal prolapse of a human being.
    https://www.facebook.com/MalcomThucker/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

Hope that link works

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yup, as he started his run just offside - doesn't take anything away from the organisation of the move though, which was the point of the video.

Absolutely, it's the type of thing we sorely miss on set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Michael Owen was probably the first player that I was properly fanatical about as a kid.

I was 7 years old when he scored that goal against Argentina during the 1998 World Cup, which is the first major tournament that I remember. I followed it religiously. I had a massive poster with the group stages and knockout brackets, where I would fill out the fixtures and scores of every game.

While Owen was already on the rise, I was a fan of Fowler prior to that. I had been a Liverpool fan since a young Knex saw a video of the Grobbelaar Penalty theatrics that my father put on after an Ireland game in WC 94, but my football knowledge was still somewhat limited. WC 98 helped me become obsessed with the game and put Owen to the top of the list in terms of my favourite footballer.

Not sure what the general consensus of that tournament is, but for me, whether it be rose tinted glasses or not, it was incredible. I remember being captivated by Ronaldo and the Brazilians, and being devastated when they lost to France. Watching Bergkamp up front for an exciting Netherlands, who for some reason fascinated me alone for having the De Beor twins. So many great players and memories.

Anyway, massive tangent aside, the next episode in the LFCTV Premier League Heroes was released, and its Michael Owen. Shame how it all ended, but he was damn good when he played here.

While Owen was already on the rise, I was a fan of Fowler prior to that...........

Fowler :(
    Mismanaged by Houllier IMO.... injuries were an issue of course.
    ..............Not sure what the general consensus of that tournament is,..............

A welcome distraction from the leaving cert :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement