Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

noodler wrote: »
    Can and Firminho to his right didn't look offside?

Just watched a replay and as posted , no offside against the two to the right as 2 West Brom players had got back ahead of the ball and can / firmino . .
    For the posters saying Moreno is getting abuse ? and that we should just enjoy the win , I would strongly disagree.
    It's hardly abuse pointing out such glaring cock-ups by a pro footballer.
    I doubt Moreno reads this thread !
    He could easily have cost us 2 points with his decision to shoot rather than look up. . I hope he got a good bollicking from his manager and team mates for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don't think the 'abuse' is Moreno specific. Benteke/Lucas got it last season for a similar f*ck up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Don't think the 'abuse' is Moreno specific. Benteke/Lucas got it last season for a similar f*ck up.

... cna you imagine what it would have been like had they gotten an equliaser after he missed it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    We win a huge game and the thread is full of people abusing Moreno... pathetic tbh.

How many times do we say "I want a lad who shows passion" well Albie shows that every time he plays for us. Is he good enough or tactically astute enough? Nope, but he doesn't warrant all this.

Abusing Moreno? Seriously. What is your definition of abuse?

Do you also think Moreno reads this thread and retreats to a corner afterwards all depressed.

He gets deserved criticism on this thread for how he plays and I really think that his miss yesterday sums him up as a player and has effectively ended his Liverpool career.

3F4D6EAD00000578-0-image-m-26_1492360527452.jpg

Picture shows how he had options, nobody was offside and he saw his name in lights, made a rash decision, ignored teammates and the team mantra and then missed an empty goal which could have been very expensive with over a minute to play.

I enjoyed the win yesterday, it was very important but the Moreno miss deserves to be highlighted and discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Sturridge was offside, ahead of the ball and only 1 player goal-side. Can and Firmino are behind him so out of his eyeline.

That said I'd be 99% sure he wasn't aware Sturridge was offside and as you say, just saw his name in lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Daemonic wrote: »
    Sturridge was offside, ahead of the ball and only 1 player goal-side. Can and Firmino are behind him so out of his eyeline.

That said I'd be 99% sure he wasn't aware Sturridge was offside and as you say, just saw his name in lights.

Just realised that Sturridge is offside as the keeper's not there, has to level or behind two players don''t they?

As you say though, don't think Moreno had a clue about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

He was 100% correct to shoot, really don't see the issue with that decision.
    So much more can go wrong if you start passing there, and then we'd be saying why didn't he shoot himself.

The sheer terribleness of his attempted shot is a different issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

murpho999 wrote: »
    The picture shows Sturridge is level and in replays I have seen several times online now, he appears not offside to me.

Moreno should have an idea of what's around him (if he was good) and also listen to calls from teammates.

He's a total liability in my opinion.

There was no keeper so you need two defenders between the ball and him so he was offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

murpho999 wrote: »
    The picture shows Sturridge is level and in replays I have seen several times online now, he appears not offside to me.

The picture actually shows that Sturridge is 3 metres offside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've zero fondness for Moreno. He's impulsive and every impulse is to try something he's not good enough to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Moreno made the right decision IMO, had he played in Sturridge it would be offside. I dont think he has the awareness to know Can and Firmino were on the overlap, and in fairness had he held play up the chance would have been more difficult.......he just made a mess of the shot, you can make excuses for him but he deserves criticism for missing an open goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

When Firmino chipped it to the back post and Milner volleyed it wide I posted this in the match thread:
    Even Moreno would've had that.

I think I'm ready to retract that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Moreno had his Instagram post written in his head as he crossed the halfway line, was only thinking about shooting.
    He messed up, it happens, we won, we'll need to play better vs Palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Melissa reddy says we are in for keita, van dijk, sessigion, koulibaily, brandt and chamberlain. She says chamberlein is not seen as a priority signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Moreno is at club 3 years, he is the same player he was in first game for club. He looked a fool that night and has never changed. I'm sure someone at club has told him to stay on his feet when an opposing player is 15 miles from our goal, that there is simply no need to dive in two footed like Kung Fu Panda, but he does it over and over. I would think his mother was glad to see the back of him, that he was impossible to teach anything to.
    You could tell the guy something a 1000 times but his brain is like eating soup with a fork, very very slow.
    They should have used him in the Energia Ad, he should be the one trying to get that toaster to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

ricero wrote: »
    Melissa reddy says we are in for keita, van dijk, sessigion, koulibaily, brandt and chamberlain. She says chamberlein is not seen as a priority signing

Keita and Koulibaly would be absolutely massive signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote:

No striker?
    I imagine it would be Koulibaly or Van Dijk either way both seem to be out of our reach due to costs.
    Naby Keita has been fantastic for Leipzig but again will cost a lot as they now have CL football & as rich anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The hatred from the Liverpool end when Moreno missed was funny. They wanted to lynch him, the **** signs and shaking fists were aplenty . He really is a guy in a parallel universe where he believes he looks good, plays great, has great fashion sense and is well loved. He's a comical confused guy who has his head in the clouds. He's like a dog that can't take a simple ''sit' command even though years of training have gone into him. Basically a loss cause.

The fact he wears baseball caps indoors and often wears them the wrong way around should be enough of a clue as to his mentality. He makes Trigger McAteer look like a rocket scientist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Well, if caps were made to be worn forward and outdoors, it makes sense that Moreno wears them backwards and indoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

NukaCola wrote: »
    Moreno made the right decision IMO, had he played in Sturridge it would be offside. I dont think he has the awareness to know Can and Firmino were on the overlap, and in fairness had he held play up the chance would have been more difficult.......he just made a mess of the shot, you can make excuses for him but he deserves criticism for missing an open goal.
    Then he did not do the right thing did he. Just because he was not aware of who was around him does not excuse him from making the wrong decision. He had time to look up, held up the play, moved the ball away from the defender and then still smashed it wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Daemonic wrote: »

Either way sturridge was only offside after he held onto it for so long, he was not offside when Moreno got the ball first and had he received the pass from Moreno whilst still inside his own half sturridge would have been able to run the ball all the way to the goals, get down on hands and knees and head the ball in like someone taking the piss in a 5 a side game! Instead, through lack of ability/vision or pure selfishness he took it on himself and missed. Either answer is simply not good enough imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

He was 100% correct to shoot, really don't see the issue with that decision.
    So much more can go wrong if you start passing there, and then we'd be saying why didn't he shoot himself.

The sheer terribleness of his attempted shot is a different issue.

Disagree, when he first received the ball sturridge was inside his own half and therefore not offside and then Sturridge would have had the entire pitch to run into alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't blame Moreno for shooting 99.9% of footballers would have taken that shot.

But for missing he he should be made to wear the Liverpool equivalent to " I had a Macedonia" t-shirt for a week in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I don't blame Moreno for shooting 99.9% of footballers would have taken that shot.

But for missing he he should be made to wear the Liverpool equivalent to " I had a Macedonia" t-shirt for a week in public.

Ah, but it's a "I had a Moreno" tshirt, New Balance is putting them into the gift shop before the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mormank wrote: »
    Either way sturridge was only offside after he held onto it for so long, he was not offside when Moreno got the ball first and had he received the pass from Moreno whilst still inside his own half sturridge would have been able to run the ball all the way to the goals, get down on hands and knees and head the ball in like someone taking the piss in a 5 a side game! Instead, through lack of ability/vision or pure selfishness he took it on himself and missed. Either answer is simply not good enough imo.
    I only got to watch the game today and was watching Sturridge during that passage of play and my first thought when watching was if he passed the ball to Sturridge 60 yards from goal, Sturridge would have probably pulled a hamstring, did both ACLs and his head would have fallen off before he had travelled halfway to the goals and the chance would be wasted anyway.:o

Also the club needs to sort out Can's contract and get him tied down to a new long term deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I only got to watch the game today and was watching Sturridge during that passage of play and my first thought when watching was if he passed the ball to Sturridge 60 yards from goal, Sturridge would have probably pulled a hamstring, did both ACLs and his head would have fallen off before he had travelled halfway to the goals and the chance would be wasted anyway.:o

I know you're going for the comedy take here but the reality is that he most likely would have tried a shot that ended up in row z or ran as far as their box before falling over looking for a penalty while launching a West Brom counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Sturridge being the most natural and clinical striker we have would have slotted it in the net with aplomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

We won, it didn't matter a ****, Moreno is gone in the summer anyways so how about we all forget about it and move eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The club is in a really terrible state when our most natural and clinical striker has two league goals all season. He must do better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

martyos121 wrote: »
    The club is in a really terrible state when our most natural and clinical striker has two league goals all season. He must do better.
    Tbh, with our style of play and the condition his body appears to be in, he is at his max for us at that. Klopp requires more running than Sturridge appears capable of, a hell of a lot more.

Unfortunately he appears a pale shadow of the player that played alongside Suarez that year.

Fowler would have had more, Rush too. It really is a sad state.

I didn't think Woodburn scored in the PL.

Then he did not do the right thing did he. Just because he was not aware of who was around him does not excuse him from making the wrong decision. He had time to look up, held up the play, moved the ball away from the defender and then still smashed it wide.

Why should he pass it? He was in a great position. Just because he missed doesn't make it the wrong decision, anything could have happened if he held it up. He would be passing up a clear shot at goal just to pass it to someone else to have a shot from a similar distance. 40 yards out open goal one defender ahead of him, I dont see why its the wrong decision to go for it IMO.

Had it went in no-one would say he should have passed it. If he held it up and they got bodies back and missed the chance he'd be a coward for not taking it on.

Sturridge being the most natural and clinical striker we have would have slotted it in the net with aplomb.

Well he wouldn't have been able to do the hard work to have got into that position to begin with, which is why he played such a small part this season, even when fit. Moreno chased down and pressed the opponent, won the ball and actually sprinted to get into a decent position. As much as I like Sturridge, he hasn't been able to do that since Suarez was playing along side him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The whole point about that moment was that is was emblematic of Mad Albert, it summed him up on the field of play. If he can do something eccentric, unexpected, eye-catching for the wrong reason he'll do it. If it were a rare moment of poor judgement we'd laugh it off rather than laugh at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Personally think holding onto it second longer, drawing the last and sliding it right was the move.

I don't buy he didn't know there was players to. His right.

Maybe he didn't know which teammate but he came from a deep position, ample time to get the head up.

Anyway, arsenal winning which I think. We. Want.

Keeps them keen against utd and helps relegate Boro. By the time. We play them?

NukaCola wrote: »
    Well he wouldn't have been able to do the hard work to have got into that position to begin with, which is why he played such a small part this season, even when fit. Moreno chased down and pressed the opponent, won the ball and actually sprinted to get into a decent position. As much as I like Sturridge, he hasn't been able to do that since Suarez was playing along side him.

I never mentioned anything about whether he would or would not have chased the ball down or any other tangent there, just that he would have been the most capable player on our books to slot a chance especially an open net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Anyway, arsenal winning which I think. We. Want.

Keeps them keen against utd and helps relegate Boro. By the time. We play them?

Hi Mr. Walken, I'm a huge fan of your work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I imagine if Matip had done what Moreno did, people wouldn't be anywhere near as agitated by it. Or if Moreno had passed to Sturridge and he was flagged offside, the anger would be the same - "what's he passing for? Just shoot, it's an open goal and we're winning. Etc."

Luckily it didn't effect the result but 99% of players would shoot there and I don't blame him for a second. Sturridge is offside and Moreno has terrible awareness, hence how he tends to lose the ball in stupid positions a lot, so he probably doesn't have a clue that he has support.

Either way, three points is three points and moreno is off in the summer. Think some people need to lighten up a little tbh!

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Quality! :pac:

Well done Rebel, you manage to mix good football posts and original banter, a fine combo.

Sessegnon goal today maybe he can teach Milner how to score from the back post :P

https://streamable.com/3kmxs

I never mentioned anything about whether he would or would not have chased the ball down or any other tangent there, just that he would have been the most capable player on our books to slot a chance especially an open net.

Yea, I agree although I'd say Coutinho would be just as capable from that range also....

Sessegnon goal today maybe he can teach Milner how to score from the back post :P

https://streamable.com/3kmxs

Sessengnon looks crazy good for his age, even in the Championship......I know little about him being honest and was a bit wary when we were linked with a move, but he looks quality.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Stupid SwiftKey. Keyboard. Fullstop is too close to. The space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Stupid cans. Keyboard. Seat is too close to. The fridge.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some Liverpool youth stuff - the U18s were beaten by FC Nordsjælland 2-1 in the U19s Champions Trophy quarters while the U23s came back from a goal down to beat Leicester City 1-3 goals from Virtue, Brewster and Wilson (about the 30th goal he has either scored or assisted this season).

The last few match squads were shorn of the best but they are nearly all back today, not sure why Ojo isn't in there though.

Starting XI
    Keller, TAA, Whelan, Phillips, Gomez, Williams, Wilson, Virtue, Brewster, Woodburn, Hart

Subs: Gomes, Firth, Parker, Lattie, Blair

MATCHES BETWEEN THE TOP SEVEN TEAMS THIS SEASON

P W D L Pts

1. Liverpool 12 7 5 0 26

2. Chelsea 11 6 1 4 19

3. Tottenham 10 3 4 3 13

4. Man United 9 2 5 2 11

5. Everton 10 2 4 4 10

6. Man City 11 2 4 5 10

7. Arsenal 9 1 3 5 6

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/revealed-the-league-table-that-confirms-liverpool-have-blown-the-premier-league-title-this-season-35629053.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

MATCHES BETWEEN THE TOP SEVEN TEAMS THIS SEASON

P W D L Pts

1. Liverpool 12 7 5 0 26

2. Chelsea 11 6 1 4 19

3. Tottenham 10 3 4 3 13

4. Man United 9 2 5 2 11

5. Everton 10 2 4 4 10

6. Man City 11 2 4 5 10

7. Arsenal 9 1 3 5 6

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/revealed-the-league-table-that-confirms-liverpool-have-blown-the-premier-league-title-this-season-35629053.html

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhh

That just annoys me. We had so much potential and threw it away with lack of respect or too much respect for the smaller teams. Along with the table of number of goals against us from corners that does me no good just before bedtime. Might just wake up the wife and see if I can be happy some other way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement