Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

MATCHES BETWEEN THE TOP SEVEN TEAMS THIS SEASON

P W D L Pts

1. Liverpool 12 7 5 0 26

2. Chelsea 11 6 1 4 19

3. Tottenham 10 3 4 3 13

4. Man United 9 2 5 2 11

5. Everton 10 2 4 4 10

6. Man City 11 2 4 5 10

7. Arsenal 9 1 3 5 6

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/revealed-the-league-table-that-confirms-liverpool-have-blown-the-premier-league-title-this-season-35629053.html

Should have made it the top 8 - would look even better! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Damien360 wrote: »
    Aaaaarrrrggggghhhh

That just annoys me. We had so much potential and threw it away with lack of respect or too much respect for the smaller teams. Along with the table of number of goals against us from corners that does me no good just before bedtime. Might just wake up the wife and see if I can be happy some other way.

I'll send her home in 10 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

cjmc wrote: »
    I'll send here home in 10 :)

Sorry an hour !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

cjmc wrote: »
    Sorry an hour !!!!

Pele can help you with that 'issue' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

zonnimani-db5f8nv.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Damn on the 2nd page can't have that.

Looking over the general premier league thread from last night where they were talking about Lukaku goals V top 6, I see they left out one goal scorer from the list maybe because that player you know has most goals

Mane Games 5 Goals 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Damn on the 2nd page can't have that.

Looking over the general premier league thread from last night where they were talking about Lukaku goals V top 6, I see they left out one goal scorer from the list maybe because that player you know has most goals

Mane Games 5 Goals 6

Not to mention Wijnaldum also has 3 goals against the top 6

Not to mention Wijnaldum also has 3 goals against the top 6

as does Milner and Coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just found out ill be Liverpool Sunday afternoon ,What would you think chances would be off getting a ticket for the game outside the ground ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Just found out ill be Liverpool Sunday afternoon ,What would you think chances would be off getting a ticket for the game outside the ground ?

You'll run into a couple of problems:

(i) You'll be buying from a tout so expect to pay well over the odds

(ii) Given the source, you'll probably be buying a fake anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I know this has been done to death but I have a United fan telling me if they finish 4th and win the Europa League the 5th place team doesn't qualify for the CL.

Is this correct?

My thinking was that it was like the FA Cup where if the winning team is already in a European spot in the league then the European spot from the FA Cup goes to the next team in the league table.

It's ok. Got the answer and I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

That is correct. There will only be 5 English participants in the CL if there's a European winner from the league that hasn't finished in the top 4 and qualified anyway.

IF Man Utd and Leicester win in Europe and finish outside the top 4 this is what happens as the current league table stands

Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool & Leicester will go into the Group Stage of the Champions League.
    Man Utd will go into the Play offs.

Man City and Arsenal will go into the Europa League.

IF Man Utd or Leicester win and finish outside the top this is what happens going by the current league table

Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd/Leicester will go into the Group Stage of the Champions League
    Man City will go into the Champions League Play off

Arsenal and Everton will go into the Europa League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

IF Man Utd and Leicester win in Europe and finish outside the top 4 this is what happens as the current league table stands

Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool & Leicester will go into the Group Stage of the Champions League.
    Man Utd will go into the Play offs.

Man City and Arsenal will go into the Europa League.

IF Man Utd or Leicester win and finish outside the top this is what happens going by the current league table

Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd/Leicester will go into the Group Stage of the Champions League
    Man City will go into the Champions League Play off

Arsenal and Everton will go into the Europa League

Basically 4th place gets Europa League if both cup winners are English:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2444525.html

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Basically 4th place gets Europa League if both cup winners are English:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2444525.html

and either Everton or Arsenal season could be starting in July unless both finish ahead of Man Utd and Utd don't win the Europa League, and if that happens Man Utd season will start in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So we just stay ahead of City and finish in third. Done.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Some lad on reddit did a comparison of James Milner to other Left Backs in Europe, such as Marcelo and Alaba.

If nothing else, its a bit of an interesting read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/6624zr/statistical_comparison_james_milner_europes_best/

I'd be interested in seeing heat maps of where they spend most of their time, with and without the ball, and how that correlates with the rest of their respective teams, but not too sure if there actually would be much that could be garnered from that, considering it is just one side of the pitch.

Edit: Top comment in that thread is relevant for the stats:
    Here are the minutes played in the league for all of them:
    Milner - 2722
    Marcelo - 1827
    Sandro - 2120
    Alaba - 2131
    Kurzawa - 1529

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I have bought tickets from outside the ground before, couple of times at Anfield & an away game in Newcastle. Legit tickets on all occasions. A good tip is to hang near the ticket office as late returns are made available, these tickets always end up in the hands of local touts so you should be OK. A real tout selling legit tickets looks like a bookie at a race-course, a skanger selling frauds looks like a skanger. Im going to this match after an ordeal of acquiring tickets so will be watching out to see if touts are active pre-kickoff, for future games.

Have also picked tickets up outside the stadium before. Was extremely sceptical of the man, but tickets were legit.

Fella also claimed that he was an Everton fan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't think you get a whole lot out of stats (or at least not those ones) when looking at what we need at full back.

If everything else is equal then you can compare, but many important attributes would be governed by either obscure stats that you don't see very often, or they're for more abstract qualities.

How high up do our full backs play? How high should they play? How wide should they play?
    What's their link play like with their respective attacking player? How fast do they move the ball? Do we need them to have a more direct role (on the left, with Coutinho, probably, on the right with Mane, probably not).
    If we play really aggressively, what's their recovery pace like and in general, how well do they contribute to stopping counter-attacks?

A full back might only need to make one tackle during the game at home against relegation fodder, but that might be one tackle to stop a break leading to us going 0-1 down and drastically increasing the difficulty of breaking the opposition down.

You might see no statistical changes for a full back in a game where the width he gives drags the defence out of position so that Coutinho gets an assists for Bob to score a goal.
    Conversely, Milner might get a rake of tackles in a game, but the lack of his presence in the box might leave us light, the lack of presence on the wing might leave the center too congested and in the end we can't score the goals we need.

It might even be more fruitful to look at opposition stats and see not how your players play, but how a full back forces them to react.

The opposition tends to target the left flank as far as I can tell - Milner + Klaven/Lovren probably looks easier than Clyne + Matip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

go to the tickets request thread on here,got hooked up a few times no hassles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't think you get a whole lot out of stats (or at least not those ones) when looking at what we need at full back.

If everything else is equal then you can compare, but many important attributes would be governed by either obscure stats that you don't see very often, or they're for more abstract qualities.

How high up do our full backs play? How high should they play? How wide should they play?
    What's their link play like with their respective attacking player? How fast do they move the ball? Do we need them to have a more direct role (on the left, with Coutinho, probably, on the right with Mane, probably not).
    If we play really aggressively, what's their recovery pace like and in general, how well do they contribute to stopping counter-attacks?

A full back might only need to make one tackle during the game at home against relegation fodder, but that might be one tackle to stop a break leading to us going 0-1 down and drastically increasing the difficulty of breaking the opposition down.

You might see no statistical changes for a full back in a game where the width he gives drags the defence out of position so that Coutinho gets an assists for Bob to score a goal.
    Conversely, Milner might get a rake of tackles in a game, but the lack of his presence in the box might leave us light, the lack of presence on the wing might leave the center too congested and in the end we can't score the goals we need.

It might even be more fruitful to look at opposition stats and see not how your players play, but how a full back forces them to react.

When you take into account dependability, reliability and constant honesty of effort throughout a game - along with ability, desire to get on ball, 3 assists, plenty of key passes, unerring ability from 12 yards - 7 penos converted - he needs to be playing and until we sign the right kind of long term replacement I am happy for him to bore the pants off me. He is made of sterner stuff and we need those types in the team. How can I put it? He's not an arsenal player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Shame to see Leicester go behind at home, makes it very tough now for them. Can't see them scoring the 3 required, without conceding another.

On the plus side, it does officially guarantee champions league for the top 4 now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Shame to see Leicester go behind at home, makes it very tough now for them. Can't see them scoring the 3 required, without conceding another.

On the plus side, it does officially guarantee champions league for the top 4 now anyway.

Ah I stopped caring about them a while ago when the suddenly showed up and played Liverpool off the park.

• Advertisement

That Chilwell looks handy....just sayin'

That player talked about joining the premier league this season could not even do what Morneo did and reach the goal line with an open goal lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

so out are leicster, another step closer to europe we are. says yoda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good f*cking riddance.

emo72 wrote: »
    so out are leicster, another step closer to europe we are. says yoda

Or Graham Taylor.

Yes at least that potential comic horror eventuality cannot come to pass now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

well, ive no love for them either after they stopped playing for ranieri. ****ty thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

garra wrote: »
    When you take into account dependability, reliability and constant honesty of effort throughout a game - along with ability, desire to get on ball, 3 assists, plenty of key passes, unerring ability from 12 yards - 7 penos converted - he needs to be playing and until we sign the right kind of long term replacement I am happy for him to bore the pants off me. He is made of sterner stuff and we need those types in the team. How can I put it? He's not an arsenal player

Yeah, truth be told, if we're going to go about fixing our attack when everyone isn't at 100% or we're facing a really stubborn defence, I'd rather we just fix it with lads who are class up front rather than hoping to do it from left back.

That's seriously working in the margins at that stage.

If Milner is the biggest issue in our squad then our squad is in a good place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

well, ive no love for them either after they stopped playing for ranieri. ****ty thing to do.

He wouldn't let them eat burgers and pizza anymore. The bastard.

Gbear wrote: »

If Milner is the biggest issue in our squad then our squad is in a good place.

I don't think he is though, to be fair :)
    If we get to the CL we will find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Milner is great. Milner at left-back is far from ideal. Not the first thing by any means that needs to be addressed but it does need attention once more pressing issues are dealt with. Opposition teams often focus attacks on our left flank because of a perceived weakness. Milner has served admirably there but i wouldn't be comfortable seeing out next season with him there. Other factors will come into play -budget, the degree of change to the back four we're willing to allow without continuity issues, if we're in for that Fulham wonder-kid and how soon he would be ready for first team etc. But left back should be on the 'to do' list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I always question this.

Even at our own crappy level we have all been in a situation where you aren't at your best for various reasons. Its rarely a concious decision not to play for the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ah I stopped caring about them a while ago when the suddenly showed up and played Liverpool off the park.

This is almost. As good. as the Christopher. Walken. Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

noodler wrote: »
    I always question this.

Even at our own crappy level we have all been in a situation where you aren't at your best for various reasons. Its rarely a concious decision not to play for the manager.

Those players aren't exactly shaking off the accusation very convincingly, though. Danny Simpsons's comments last week about Ranieri telling them what to eat were less than self aware, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

SM01 wrote: »
    Milner is great. Milner at left-back is far from ideal. Not the first thing by any means that needs to be addressed but it does need attention once more pressing issues are dealt with. Opposition teams often focus attacks on our left flank because of a perceived weakness. Milner has served admirably there but i wouldn't be comfortable seeing out next season with him there. Other factors will come into play -budget, the degree of change to the back four we're willing to allow without continuity issues, if we're in for that Fulham wonder-kid and how soon he would be ready for first team etc. But left back should be on the 'to do' list

He turns 17 in May. To me, this seems like we're asking for trouble. He might turn out to be top class, but I would argue that we need a left-back for now, not two or three years time.

Same issue with the keepers last summer - Karius has potential, but we didn't need potential, we needed a number one...

Left back is on the to do list for me, along with CB, CM, a pacy winger and a finisher and, as always, the goalie.

I'm not picking an order of preference because, tbh, I think they're all pretty important and we can't really afford to have half a team next season if we're playing in Europe too.

He turns 17 in May. To me, this seems like we're asking for trouble. He might turn out to be top class, but I would argue that we need a left-back for now, not two or three years time.

Same issue with the keepers last summer - Karius has potential, but we didn't need potential, we needed a number one...

Left back is on the to do list for me, along with CB, CM, a pacy winger and a finisher and, as always, the goalie.

I'm not picking an order of preference because, tbh, I think they're all pretty important and we can't really afford to have half a team next season if we're playing in Europe too.

We'll buy him, he'll have a great pre-season, we'll all get excited then he gets called up by England for the August internationals and gets a season long injury.

Will look like he's about to recover and relapse and be out for a second season.

It's the Liverpool way. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

dogbert27 wrote: »
    We'll buy him, he'll have a great pre-season, we'll all get excited then he gets called up by England for the August internationals and gets a season long injury.

Will look like he's about to recover and relapse and be out for a second season.

It's the Liverpool way. :pac:

....and then gets a letter from Danny Ings' lawyer about trademark infringement

x43r0 wrote: »
    ....and then gets a letter from Danny Ings' lawyer about trademark infringement

Not if Joe Gomez's lawyer gets there first!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

An interesting graphic on Benchwarmers on where teams can finish

C9ySO00XkAMuQ9j.jpg

We're gonna win the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That worst possible jump from Everton to West Brom is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

GBX wrote: »
    An interesting graphic on Benchwarmers on where teams can finish

C9ySO00XkAMuQ9j.jpg

This is pretty much what CityTillIDie did a couple of weeks ago and got lampooned for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really, we need 2 left back's anyway. Would like to get an older experienced head, and Sessegnon. But if we have a chance of Sessegnon, it would be mad not to go for him. He's waaaay too good for his age not to move for. Would already be a fantastic pacey wing forward option for us from the bench, which is also something we really need.

Playing him at left back, i'd definately either want us playing 3 at the back, or having a dedicated Cm sitting right in front of the back 2, splitting the CB's (Lucas in the last game). He's a bit too attacking for an already exposed back 4 imo. Though to be fair that recovery pace makes up for a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

noodler wrote: »
    This is almost. As good. as the Christopher. Walken. Post.

This is an inside joke. What am I missing.

I was wondering that myself but decided it was probably best not be exposed as "dad" again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

niallo27 wrote: »
    This is an inside joke. What am I missing.

Couple of days ago

415093.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement