Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This thread sinks to new levels of obscure! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This thread. sinks. to. new levels. of. Obscure! :pac:

fyp:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

200.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Really, we need 2 left back's anyway. Would like to get an older experienced head, and Sessegnon. But if we have a chance of Sessegnon, it would be mad not to go for him. He's waaaay too good for his age not to move for. Would already be a fantastic pacey wing forward option for us from the bench, which is also something we really need.

Playing him at left back, i'd definately either want us playing 3 at the back, or having a dedicated Cm sitting right in front of the back 2, splitting the CB's (Lucas in the last game). He's a bit too attacking for an already exposed back 4 imo. Though to be fair that recovery pace makes up for a lot.

Were going to monitor the hell out of him!

In other news, would £25m for Arda Turan interest anyone?

https://twitter.com/FootieWriter/status/854730856711282690

Other than Arsenal, that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This is pretty much what CityTillIDie did a couple of weeks ago and got lampooned for!

That's unfortunate for him/her. Life goes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Were going to monitor the hell out of him!

In other news, would £25m for Arda Turan interest anyone?

https://twitter.com/FootieWriter/status/854730856711282690

Other than Arsenal, that is?

Wouldn't be a transfer window without being linked to Turan. Also, Carlton Cole and Darren Bent should be showing up at Melwood any day now, we've signed them about forty times each. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In the current market, Turan at 25m is not a bad deal at all to be honest. A position we could do with some leadership in, and he's a bloody good player. and of course we know he's a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

martyos121 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a transfer window without being linked to Turan. Also, Carlton Cole and Darren Bent should be showing up at Melwood any day now, we've signed them about forty times each. :pac:
    :D 41st time lucky, eh?

I never really thought it was possible but with CL looking like a real possibility and the need for an experienced midfielder with CL experience and reasonable fee, I would be disappointed if we weren't some bit interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I was wondering that myself but decided it was probably best not be exposed as "dad" again.

You're being very kind to yourself there Harold auld stock :pac:

Time to bring Luis home he looks a broken man having to play in that broken down aging past it team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Time to bring Luis home he looks a broken man having to play in that broken down aging past it team.

Indeed, Barca looked broke tonight, Messi is now post-peak, Neymar would look better at say Man City. Suarez would thrive under Klopp - the anti Sturridge!

Indeed, Barca looked broke tonight, Messi is now post-peak, Neymar would look better at say Man City. Suarez would thrive under Klopp - the anti Sturridge!

Messi has 45 goals in 44 games this season. Don't think he's slowing down yet. Superb this season.

Ah, tonight was the sort of game that tested his mettle (all of Barca's mettle) and he came up short. Sticking a hat-trick past say Getafe isn't a measure.

Unless Barcelona get their act together they will hit the doldrums again. Their recruitment policy needs an overhaul imo.

Ah, tonight was the sort of game that tested his mettle (all of Barca's mettle) and he came up short. Sticking a hat-trick past say Getafe isn't a measure.

Doesn't do it in the big games is what you mean? :D

brevity wrote: »
    Unless Barcelona get their act together they will hit the doldrums again. Their recruitment policy needs an overhaul imo.

That fact they bought Arda Turan tells us about the state of their recruitment policy - he'd probably be fine for Liverpool still but he isn't what Barcelona should be after to my mind. Also when was the last youth player to make a splash at the Nou Camp rather than at another club?
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Doesn't do it in the big games is what you mean? :D

Higuian certainly doesn't! Another blank in a big game, luckily he plays for a side that doesn't concede easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

This really is testament to just how good Messi and Ronnie have been in their careers that 45 goals in 44 games but missing a few chances against Juve marks them as past it. :)

That fact they bought Arda Turan tells us about the state of their recruitment policy - he'd probably be fine for Liverpool still but he isn't what Barcelona should be after to my mind. Also when was the last youth player to make a splash at the Nou Camp rather than at another club?

They have a few, one of them they released came back to bite them in the ass recently I think.

Samper is supposedly the next big think. I think there is another who's name escapes me.

Joyce in the times says

- talks with Lucas and Sturridge this summer. (Hopefully a very short chat)
    - Kevin Stewart is set to leave.
    - Virgil van Dijk is target
    - Klopp will not be buying a keeper.
    - Klopp’s first choice to strengthen midfield is Red Bull Leipzig’s Naby Keita
    - Trent Alexander-Arnold will challenge Clyne and Fulham’s Ryan Sessegnon will be targeted as an understudy to James Milner
    - Alberto Moreno set to leave.

edit - Guardian says Klopp happy to keep Can even if contract is not sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kevin Stewart is set to leave.

Probably the least useful squad player in recent memory. He's 23 so will have few suitors.
    Alberto Moreno set to leave.

A year too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I love Mick McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ERG89 wrote: »
    Probably the least useful squad player in recent memory. He's 23 so will have few suitors.

A year too late.

Played an important role last season, when we had a bit of fixture build up with the late run in Europe... with mostly just the league this year, he got pretty unlucky. The lack of Europe or cup games after christmas really cost him.

Having said that, he actually should have played a bit more I think.

Would love to see Lucas stay tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So which Dortmund player do we want most, and who will we get? Aubameyang, Reus, Dembele or Pulisic?
    All depending on CL of course, and considering the price...

Aub for 70M
    Reus for 40M
    Dembele for 30M
    Pulisic for 18M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Reus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Joyce in the times says

- talks with Lucas and Sturridge this summer. (Hopefully a very short chat)
    - Kevin Stewart is set to leave.
    - Virgil van Dijk is target
    - Klopp will not be buying a keeper.
    - Klopp’s first choice to strengthen midfield is Red Bull Leipzig’s Naby Keita
    - Trent Alexander-Arnold will challenge Clyne and Fulham’s Ryan Sessegnon will be targeted as an understudy to James Milner
    - Alberto Moreno set to leave.

edit - Guardian says Klopp happy to keep Can even if contract is not sorted.

- I'd be hopeful that Lucas would stay, has proven himself a worthwhile member of the squad. And the whole nostalgia factor... I don't think I'd be comfortable with Henderson as our longest serving player!
    - Stewart is a handy player but clearly isn't rated by Klopp. In the midst of our worst injury crises, he still doesn't make the bench so no surprise. Hope he does well.
    - Van Dijk - for what he'll cost, I'm not sure I'll be losing sleep if/when we miss out to City/Chelsea
    - *sigh* goalkeepers... F*ck it. Danny Ward and Alex Manninger ftw.
    - Keita is an absolute boss - we won't be the only ones in for him, though.
    - TAA and Sessegnon... Talented for sure, but I hope we don't get caught short as a result of that. An injury or a suspension and we're suddenly playing teenagers every game in 2/3 competitions...
    - Won't miss Moreno. Not good enough. What a disappointment that turned out to be!
    - Hopefully Can's contract is sorted because when he's good, he's brilliant.

More importantly Lucas and his wife seem to have been great at helping the other South American players settle in Liverpool over the years whenever you see pictures of them together as a group away from football they are nearly always at Lucas's house.

That is something you can't buy and would be very hard to replace along with that if Lucas stays fit he is a very very useful squad player who will get plenty of game when we are in four competitions next season.

• Advertisement

IMO, Liverpool need:
    2x FB
    1x CB (preferably 2)
    1x CM (2 if Lucas goes)
    1x LCM
    1x FW

Liverpool need a trophy next season so they will have to have a squad to handle this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

- I'd be hopeful that Lucas would stay, has proven himself a worthwhile member of the squad. And the whole nostalgia factor... I don't think I'd be comfortable with Henderson as our longest serving player!
    - Stewart is a handy player but clearly isn't rated by Klopp. In the midst of our worst injury crises, he still doesn't make the bench so no surprise. Hope he does well.
    - Van Dijk - for what he'll cost, I'm not sure I'll be losing sleep if/when we miss out to City/Chelsea
    - TAA and Sessegnon... Talented for sure, but I hope we don't get caught short as a result of that. An injury or a suspension and we're suddenly playing teenagers every game in 2/3 competitions...
    - Won't miss Moreno. Not good enough. What a disappointment that turned out to be!

Why would you want this if it turns out that he would be a big success?

I would love to see him in our defence. He looks class. Otherwise the alternative is buying the equivalent of 2 x Dejan Lovren type players. So which is better value?

murpho999 wrote: »

I would love to see him in our defence.  He looks class.  Otherwise the alternative is buying the equivalent of 2 x Dejan Lovren type players.  So which is better value?
    It's also considering that we haven't had two CBs we could be completely happy with since Hyypia and Carra. Matip and VD would be a classy partnership - big, quick, no nonsense, able to play a bit, not rash tacklers. That partnership takes pressure off the GK, and the holding CM and FBs, allowing them to contribute more. All great sides start from a strong core...look at Juve!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Dickerty wrote: »
    So which Dortmund player do we want most, and who will we get? Aubameyang, Reus, Dembele or Pulisic?
    All depending on CL of course, and considering the price...

Aub for 70M
    Reus for 40M
    Dembele for 30M
    Pulisic for 18M

Would love Pulisic he'd be a great buy for 18M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

murpho999 wrote: »

I would love to see him in our defence. He looks class. Otherwise the alternative is buying the equivalent of 2 x Dejan Lovren type players. So which is better value?
    It's also considering that we haven't had two CBs we could be completely happy with since Hyypia and Carra. Matip and VD would be a classy partnership - big, quick, no nonsense, able to play a bit, not rash tacklers. That partnership takes pressure off the GK, and the holding CM and FBs, allowing them to contribute more. All great sides start from a strong core...look at Juve!

My thinking is that Southampton currently set up to play to Van Dijk's strengths - in the same way that they did with Lovren, Fonte, etc.

They have a defensively minded team - Bertrand is the only member of their back 6 or so that isn't tasked with a primarily defensive role and the result is that Van Dijk, Fonte, Lovren, etc are less exposed. It's a good tactic and by no way meant as a criticism, but it is nothing like how we play. Note the immediate drop in performance from literally every defender who left Southampton in the last 3/4 years when they moved to a side who sets up differently.

We play a forward-looking team, more players in attacking roles to overwhelm the opposition as we attack. Score more goals, but it means that our players are more exposed and out of position when it comes defending more than you'd see at Chelsea, Spurs, Southampton, etc. City are closer to us, hence how Stones, etc often seem in no man's land.

I reckon we'd drop 40m+ on Van Dijk and that he'd be good, but not necessarily great. For us to see an improvement in defence, I think we need to re-balance our team - focus our full backs and midfielders more on defence but that would also likely result in a drop in the number of goals we score, which is the trade off.

Now, what he would do in terms of an immediate improvement is add height, power and good heading to our defence - but he's not the only CB in the league that can do that.

I like Van Dijk but he's not the be-all and end-all for PL CBs as far as I'm concerned.

TL/DR; good defenders does not necessarily equal a good defence.

This isn't a hipster "Van Dijk is no good" suggestion, just me thinking that he won't be an immediate fix to our defence and, therefore, the summer won't be a failure if he ends up elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I see people have their knickers in a twist over Mane being in the PFA team of the year, sure i thought Liverpool were a one Mane team so it is only right he makes it, also don't forget he currently at the time of voting is the best goal scorer in the top 6 mini league :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Thing is we wouldnt have to splash 40-50m on VVD, we got sakho up our sleeve... we could offer him and 15m. Southampton we're meant to be interested previously in sakho. A partnership of Matip and VVD next year would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lucas,Matip & Klavan all injured & doubtful for Sunday.

I'm not sure our style of play is sustainable long term. I hope I am wrong. But we may need to change our style in some games.
    Maybe a better squad will help next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Press conference summary

• Joel Matip, Ragnar Klavan & Lucas Leiva all major doubts for Sunday - Joe Gomez could come in.
    • Adam Lallana back in full training next week.
    • Jordan Henderson still hasn’t trained - potentially could miss season’s end.
    • Danny Ings back running, but nowhere near ready.
    • Mamadou Sakho absence is a blow for Palace.
    • Reds must stop balls into the box to stop Benteke.
    • No Liverpool move ‘now or in the future’ for Joe Hart.

Missing three CBs and Lucas, the man who has helped the team look solid in the past few games, is rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Very injury prone Matip is, don't know if we can count on him to be a first choice CB, no doubting his quality though.

• Advertisement

Feucking hell maybe that gobby Dutch fella was right! :(

Henderson has to be considered nothing beyond a squad player from here on I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Knex. wrote: »
    Press conference summary

• Joel Matip, Ragnar Klavan & Lucas Leiva all major doubts for Sunday - Joe Gomez could come in.

Fantastic news.

brevity wrote: »
    IMO, Liverpool need:
    2x FB
    1x CB (preferably 2)
    1x CM (2 if Lucas goes)
    1x LCM
    1x FW

Liverpool need a trophy next season so they will have to have a squad to handle this.

On second thoughts i think Liverpool need about 3 more.

The amount of injuries and injury prone players is surely a concern.

rob316 wrote: »
    Very injury prone Matip is, don't know if we can count on him to be a first choice CB, no doubting his quality though.

Yeah, availability and familiarity are the main thing with a CB partnership, or defence in general.

Think back to our successful defences in more recent times - Carra & Hyypia and Hyypia & Henchoz. None of those lads missed games, really.

Add that to the more difficult nature of our defence, due to how we set up and the exposure we give them at times, and its not hard to see how we're conceding 50 goals a season.

We've seen it with Sturridge as well. Doesn't matter how talented you are, if you can't be relied upon for 30+ games a season, we need to look elsewhere.

And on Sakho, he's another that misses large chunks of game through injury as well, so I don't think bringing him back, Klopp issues aside, will ensure success either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just had a look there, Matip has managed 22 appearances this season, he was averaging 38 at Schalke so hardly an injury prone player. Maybe he just needs the season to adjust to the league and playing style. I hope this isn't another Agger.

The way we play we wouldn't be much worse off having 4/5 Klavan types for small money to complement Lovren and Matip.

Not much point splashing tens of millions on CBs IMO.

Gomez, Lovren, Matip, Klavan + 2 or 3 more Klavans, be grand.

Augeo wrote: »
    The way we play we wouldn't be much worse off having 4/5 Klavan types for small money to complement Lovren and Matip.

Not much point splashing tens of millions on CBs IMO.

Gomez, Lovren, Matip, Klavan + 2 or 3 more Klavans, be grand.
    Is that a joke? That's exactly why we are were we are, buying players who are ok, but end up being replaced in 2 years. 
    We NEED to spend big on players who we can build the team around. Like we did with Masc, Alonso, Torres, rather than Sissoko or Riera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Knex. wrote: »
    Press conference summary

That is disasterous.

Lovren and Gomez it is so.

One game at a time.

Is that a joke? That's exactly why we are were we are, buying players who are ok, but end up being replaced in 2 years. 
    We NEED to spend big on players who we can build the team around. Like we did with Masc, Alonso, Torres, rather than Sissoko or Riera

No joke, again The way we play.......... unless we have a dedicated DM infront of 2 CBs or we play with actual full backs and not wingers I don't think spending big on CBs is worth it.

Lovren was a big buy at £20m almost 3 seasons ago now, Matip would have cost a fair lash if he had a couple of years left on his contract.

I'm not sure Klopp wants a Masc type CM tbh & an Alonso type won't do much to shield our CBs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

If the problem is simply the way we set up how come Matip looks class and Lovren still looks ****e?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement