Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Milkers wrote: »
    If the problem is simply the way we set up how come Matip looks class and Lovren still looks ****e?

I'd have said Lovren has been looking a bit better and Matip a bit worse since the start of the season to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Klopp has shown that he can adjust tactics to get a team more solid defensively while still being potent in attack. Maybe he doesn't have the right players to implement it and we'll hopefully see the right players come in so he can adjust his tactics. I think we have struggled defensively due to our tactics, personnel probably played a big part also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Never heard of him, still if this is true then it suggests money is plentiful

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

He scored against Bayern Tuesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

scored a peach against Bayern the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Winger with 29 games and 9 goals (So wikipedia tells me) for Madrid this season that's not bad for a 21 year old behind Ronnie and Bale.

Didn't see that game as it was not the FTA pick. Real seem to have a surfeit of attack minded midfielders at the moment - maybe one of them can be bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This doesn't seem like a realistic transfer at all.

Don't get me wrong, I would be ecstatic if for some reason he did want to join and Real were going to sell, but I just can't see it.

• Advertisement

Milkers wrote: »
    If the problem is simply the way we set up how come Matip looks class and Lovren still looks ****e?

I don't think Matip has looked as class as he's made out to be in here to be honest. Better than Lovren at times though, no doubt.

I think folks reckon Matip is class as they expected him to be ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I feel like Lovren always plays about as good as the CB he's partnered with.

Put him next to Matip and we look pretty solid, but whenever Matip is out the cracks start to appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Augeo wrote: »
    I don't think Matip has looked as class as he's made out to be in here to be honest. Better than Lovren at times though, no doubt.

I think folks reckon Matip is class as they expected him to be ish.

That's basically my feelings on it. A lot of people made their mind up on Lovren a long time ago and are refusing to change despite the clear improvement he has made over the last season or so under Klopp. He's not perfect, but he's not a shambles either.

--

Anyway, we aren't signing Hart 'cos we've got some young lad from Cork.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corksport/Former-Ringmahon-keeper-Kelleher-is-namechecked-by-Jurgen-Klopp-as-one-of-the-reasons-Liverpool-dont-need-Joe-Hart-b0788929-63e3-4ead-899e-77b9f7b8cfa9-ds
    "Extra competition? You ask about goalkeepers but even though you don't say the name is it about Joe Hart?" said Klopp when asked whether he was considering strengthening in the goalkeeping department.

"We don't usually talk about these sort of things but in this particular case I think we can. He is a fantastic goalkeeper, the goalkeeper of the English national team, the highest quality, but we have highest-quality goalkeepers. It is not for us in this moment and hopefully not for us in the future - not because of Joe but we already have two strong goalkeepers.

"Wardy (Danny Ward) is at Huddersfield and playing a brilliant season - he is our player so we will bring him back next year so there is competition.

"The young ones have made really big steps, Caiomhin (Kelleher) and Kamil (Grabara), and that is really good. The situation with our goalkeepers is really good. I understand the question but I cannot give the answer probably a few people want."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Can clubs bid for Players outside the transfer window, didn't think they could tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I would be one who thinks Lovern is poor to meh. I've seen nothing this season to change my mind on that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Can clubs bid for Players outside the transfer window, didn't think they could tbh.

Deal can be agreed & signed but he can't play until the window opens

Not done a lot because you could agree a deal today & he could break both his legs before the window opens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Well Sessegnon's been named in the Championship team of the season, might be a young lad but he looks like a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes - they can deal and sign, but new contracts can't be in force until July 1st and new players can't be registered to play in the 2016-17 season. United signed Van Nistlerooy long before the end of whatever season it was, but he didn't start until the following one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

have to agree with augeo, matip has looked good but also not so good,passing can be awful and not as strong as id like my cb to be. but and upgrade on lovren yes.i really hope we sign the young lb because in another season or two he will go for 50 million like sterling. city need a lb too,as do utd, who i think will also sign a top cb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yes - they can deal and sign, but new contracts can't be in force until July 1st and new players can't be registered to play in the 2016-17 season. United signed Van Nistlerooy long before the end of whatever season it was, but he didn't start until the following one.

We bought Zaha from Palace in Spring and he didn't join us till the summer either. Doesn't seem to happen too often but you're right, there's no restrictions in the transfer being wrapped up prior to the window opening.

UEFA release report on Sakho failed drug test..... Substance found in Liverpool player's system was NOT on banned list.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mamadou-sakho-failed-drugs-test-12918853

• Advertisement

UEFA release report on Sakho failed drug test..... Substance found in Liverpool player's system was NOT on banned list.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mamadou-sakho-failed-drugs-test-12918853

What an absolute farce by all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Jayop wrote: »
    We bought Zaha from Palace in Spring and he didn't join us till the summer either. Doesn't seem to happen too often but you're right, there's no restrictions in the transfer being wrapped up prior to the window opening.

We bought Zaha ??

cjmc wrote: »
    We bought Zaha ??

Jayop = dirty United fan :)

We bought Zaha ??

Man Utd, for about 17m or something crazy

We bought Zaha ??

Oh seen it was a Utd head posted that .

Jayop = dirty United fan :)

And Tyrone . Worst EVER !!! You

Man Utd, for about 17m or something crazy

You wouldn't get him for that now. The only crazy thing was us getting rid of him when we did looking at it now.

But I digress this isn't the place to talk about that and I was only agreeing that you can buy players outside of the windows.

And Tyrone . Worst EVER !!! You

haha, yeah you can imagine how popular I am living in a Liverpool dominated village in Sligo that's full of Mayo people.

haha, yeah you can imagine how popular I am living in a Liverpool dominated village in Sligo that's full of Mayo people.

Jayus that's rough on anyone! See ya in the Gaa soon when championship kicks off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What a joke he should sue UEFA, he missed out in playing in 2 European finals over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Well Sessegnon's been named in the Championship team of the season, might be a young lad but he looks like a great player.

Did I see somewhere that he started only 15 games also? Lad must be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mosstin wrote: »
    Did I see somewhere that he started only 15 games also? Lad must be very good.

Yeah, he just broke into the team really around Christmas. Fulham have also been very good about how they use him, allowing time between starts so they don't over do it. Kind of starting every second game when the schedule is tighter. Quite uncharacteristically responsible behavior from a football club it looks like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Thing is we wouldnt have to splash 40-50m on VVD, we got sakho up our sleeve... we could offer him and 15m. Southampton we're meant to be interested previously in sakho. A partnership of Matip and VVD next year would be great.

That only works IF Southampton value Sakho at 30-35m AND decide they want that money to go straight back into their defence - neither of which I reckon will be true. They're more likely to want to spend 15m on a new CB, and the rest of it elsewhere in their squad.

And it requires Sakho to want to go to Southampton... reckon better clubs will be interested in him around Europe.

I'd like Van Dijk, but I think we've already seen there's no 'silver bullet' player that's going to solve our problems, and it's a ludicrous amount of money being asked for. Any CB we buy will have bad moments, because that's just the way we play... unless we change system of course. Interesting that Klopp has kind of started trying out this 3 at the back thing, like the way Lucas was used in the last game. Effectively played like an old fashioned sweeper.

rob316 wrote: »
    What a joke he should sue UEFA, he missed out in playing in 2 European finals over this.

No doubt contributed to his head melt too I'd imagine. Feeling hard done by etc etc, rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Augeo wrote: »
    No doubt contributed to his head melt too I'd imagine. Feeling hard done by etc etc, rightly or wrongly.

Wrongly. If there is a law, and you don't break the law, you are innocent.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Wrongly. If there is a law, and you don't break the law, you are innocent.

rightly so you mean :pac:

Taking anything without consulting the club is probably a breach of club rules anyway though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is another two games for Utd better for Liverpool. Better to have them thinking they can **** up in the league.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Is another two games for Utd better for Liverpool. Better to have them thinking they can **** up in the league.

No better they get knocked out tonight and then feel the pressure in the league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No better they get knocked out tonight and then feel the pressure in the league games.

Interesting. Always good to see them beat anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Well Feck it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Has this been posted

Good read, really were dark times for the club.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/04/fernando-torres-on-his-anfield-exit-a-complete-chapter-from-ring-of-fire-liverpool-into-the-21st-century-the-players-stories/
    “At times, I believe we were the best team in Europe. We were not lucky enough to win the Premier League, though we were so close. We also lost in a Champions League semi-final. I think the team was great. You can see that by the players. One moved to Real Madrid [Xabi Alonso] and another to Barcelona [Javier Mascherano], and these players are still playing at the highest level.

“We had a team to dream about but one that still needed building. The spine was there. Providing we kept that, I knew we could compete with anyone: Reina, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard and then me. It was strong, very powerful. We were difficult to beat and nobody wanted to play against us. We were not far away from being champions of England and champions of Europe. But we needed to keep the team.

“Everything changed when the owners started talking about selling. The mindset of the club went in a different direction. Alonso was sold, Mascherano was sold, Benítez went too. Not all of the money went into new players. The club was saying, ‘We still want to be the best and we want to win’ but doing the opposite.”

I think I got something in my eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I love him and I don't give a **** that he went to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I read it the other day, I thought it was a good interview. It's a pity how things worked. He was some player when on form and he genuinely comes across as good lad and regrets how things ended at anfield.

Its from a book called Ring of Fire.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    :)

Straight in

• Advertisement

Keep them in it - 120m of football is not what they wanted, I want Utd to look like something the cat dragged in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Keep them in it - 120m of football is not what they wanted, I want Utd to look like something the cat dragged in.

They've looked like that for quite some time.

Two extra games for utd in a busy schedule isn't a bad result for other top 4 players. Possibly a few injuries too.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Straight in

Ah lads no harm! Friendly smile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Just overheard a Utd fan in a pub hoping we finish 4th so they knock us out of CL. No convincing him either that there be 5 places ha

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement