Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming WSE-MLL

Options
  • 25-02-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi, we have an MLL this coming week and just wondering if anybody has had recent experience of one. I know they will need to look at the full subject plan, but do they look at schemes of work as part of that too?

Also, what are the interviews like? With A-Post holders etc / the interactions with the inspection team after you have been observed - feedback etc. Is there feedback to the whole staff by the inspector team or is that done by the principal etc.

Any information would be extremely appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Education matters

Hi, we have an MLL this coming week and just wondering if anybody has had recent experience of one. I know they will need to look at the full subject plan, but do they look at schemes of work as part of that too?

Also, what are the interviews like? With A-Post holders etc / the interactions with the inspection team after you have been observed - feedback etc. Is there feedback to the whole staff by the inspector team or is that done by the principal etc.

Any information would be extremely appreciated

Subject plan is very important, we just had an MLL. They compare plans throughout the school and they felt some needed attention!! No one was asked for a scheme but they went through the plans thoroughly and wanted a hard copy and an e-version! They were probing at meetings. They brought A posts in, SD post holders and Learning Support team in. They asked particularly irritating question like " Do you feel empowered!"
    Meetings with parents and surveys from the kids all collated and feedback given to the staff about a week later. They came to JC English, as a TUI school that was to be expected . They visited every teacher, small school and wanted learning intentions, think pair share, group work and classrooms organised for group work!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Subject plan is very important, we just had an MLL. They compare plans throughout the school and they felt some needed attention!! No one was asked for a scheme but they went through the plans thoroughly and wanted a hard copy and an e-version! They were probing at meetings. They brought A posts in, SD post holders and Learning Support team in. They asked particularly irritating question like " Do you feel empowered!"
    Meetings with parents and surveys from the kids all collated and feedback given to the staff about a week later. They came to JC English, as a TUI school that was to be expected . They visited every teacher, small school and wanted learning intentions, think pair share, group work and classrooms organised for group work!

Thanks for the reply. I've spent ages making in depth schemes and probably no need now!! Just want it over now ... I'm sure it's stressful enough on departments. When do you find out if they come in to your class? And what about languages? Have they all the languages they are inspecting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks for the reply. I've spent ages making in depth schemes and probably no need now!! Just want it over now ... I'm sure it's stressful enough on departments. When do you find out if they come in to your class? And what about languages? Have they all the languages they are inspecting

Usually there is a timetable posted in the staffroom before school starts so if you're on first class - be prepared just in case. With relation to languages - I'm not sure that they would have them but I know they look for the four skills in the class which is madness in a thirty five minute class. Also for feedback - they come back in about two weeks after MLL and give feedback to entire teaching staff after school (the one we had was a few years ago and I think the time came from CP hours so it could be in school time depending on your school type). Best of luck with it - the build up is worse than the MLL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Do a Google search for ' wse mll ' and all the reports from other schools pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Had one last year. Agree with the comment that the preparation and anticipation, and how the atmosphere in the school and staffroom in particular, is worse than the inspection itself. They will outline I think about 4 days over 10 days to 2 weeks that they will be present in the school, 2 of which are for classroom visits. As said above on the morning of each of the visit days there was a timetable up for the days classroom inspections.

The findings after the event were vague and yet not without controversy. Students, teachers, everybody is surveyed and they can interpret vague answers to vague questions more or less how they see wish. E.g. Students asked in a survey if they felt they had a voice and some said no (well of course some students said no). This despite a student council and the rest, yet a headline of the report critique focused on that. It seems very much the report needs to justify the inspection itself by finding some fault, yet is extremely wary of insulting individuals so that fault will be non specific as objections can be lodged.

Tangent alert. What I really disliked about our inspection was it occurred mid-May when teachers should be focused in particular on exam classes, rather than looking good. I know teachers who would normally have been using this time to hone classes for exams were distracted and frankly all over the place. Of course they ll say that education standards should be maintained all the time and we should never be afraid to be inspected if we re doing our jobs right. Well they can say that but I feel that there's a real chance that students doing the leaving cert within schools with a WSE MLL in May, may have their points affected compared to those not. So you can put that in your report you inconsiderate boys and girls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement