Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good ballad sessions

Options
  • 25-02-2017 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of any good ballad sessions still knocking about in the city center over the weekends?

Not that touristy crap that you do get in some places. But a good mix of rebel and proper Irish ballads where they let the customers also get up.

I know of the confession box and Darkie Kelly's. Used to like the Celt but it has gone a bit too hipstery.

Have American family over but they don't like the tourist stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Larry SR

Haven't been to one myself yet but hearing Peadar Browns on Clanbrassil street is good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

where they let the customers also get up.

Hopefully nowhere. You're looking for a karaoke bar not a ballad session :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

There's a place at the top of parnell square onto the north circular. On blessington street. Can't recall the name but you go miles upstairs. Its a yellow tall building with a big Guinness sign on it.

Take themselves fierce seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Bambi wrote: »
    Hopefully nowhere. You're looking for a karaoke bar not a ballad session :p

Most of the best ballad sessions I've ever been to would allow people to get up. Don't mean constant rotation. Like 80/20 split. My mate plays the best lonesome boatman I've ever heard and there's a few really good ballad singers in our group. I've also heard some really good lads get up who were just in for a pint. Depends on the place but a lot of the smaller pubs like the confession box would be like that. And they have had unbelievable sessions in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

amtc wrote: »
    There's a place at the top of parnell square onto the north circular. On blessington street. Can't recall the name but you go miles upstairs. Its a yellow tall building with a big Guinness sign on it.

Moyes.

No wait, Mayes

• Advertisement

That's it! Not my scene but they did the whole singing around stuff. I have the phone number of the organiser if you need it.

We went at Christmas and don't think we were serious enough! But my boss goes every week

Not sure if still there but used be a place in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Celt, hipstery. Oh my Lord...Word has absolutely no meaning anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

If you want a ballad seisiún with great difference, I'd recommend An Góilín Traditional Singers' Club. They sing old and traditional songs which often have huge histories - for instance, one night when I was there much of the night was given over to singing songs from the Napoleonic Wars (1803-1815). The singers are often song collectors and would frequently talk about the history of the song before singing. You will also have sean-nós singers and there will always be songs in the Irish. So if you like history, Irish and singing it's a great refuge in the city (an góilín means the inlet, as in the West Cork village of Goleen).

It's rare that there are instruments so it's not everybody's cup of tea. It's a singing club open to everybody on one condition: absolute silence when people are singing. It's a bit timeless for the want of microphones, amps or the like and I love that about it, also. There are breaks so you can chat away then and if you have the courage, you can volunteer to sing when they come around and ask you.

It's on every Friday, and is in the city centre, Club na Múinteoirí/The Teachers' Club, on Parnell Square. Last time I went (about 3 years ago now) it was €3 in so if it's even €5 now it's worth it. It starts at 9pm each Friday and I see here that they have a special guest (who also plays fiddle) this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

amtc wrote: »

You'd be barred for smiling!

• Advertisement
Advertisement