Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moldy ginger in Tesco

• 25-02-2017 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I saw a bunch of moldy ginger in Tesco when I was shopping yesterday.

Don't they care about health and safety.

They might cut the mold off the ginger and keep selling.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gingerLemon

postimg.org/image/pleaftzhp/

and

postimg.org/image/p9wu32j1p/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

postimg.org/image/pleaftzhp/

and

postimg.org/image/p9wu32j1p/

Some of the worst camera work in history. I can't see a thing, what kind of camera is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The tesco in Limerick city centre is terrible. The amount of spoiled food on display is staggering.

You need a new phone!

its was a quick shot.
    Didn't want those feckers catching me,
    So i pretended to text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I saw a bunch of moldy ginger in Tesco when I was shopping yesterday.

Don't they care about health and safety........

had Kelkin bread with BB date Dec 2016 on the shelves this week.

I pointed this out.

2 days later was still there

Perhaps they dont care about H & S

• Advertisement

its was a quick shot.
    Didn't want those feckers catching me,
    So i pretended to text

Why the shyness? I would have called them over, taken the photo and then told them you were posting it online.

What branch of tesco was it?

Paul street in cork.
    and I'v dealt the individual at customer service before,
    who happens to never care about customer service.

I'd just avoid the shop and go to Dunnes or Supervalu.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Moved from Food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

I was in Tesco this morning and went to buy a litre of low fat milk. Noticed the Best Before Date was 26 Feb. Just put it back. I would assume that because of their strike they are trying to off load their stocks that normally would have been sold during the last week. Although in the past I remember looking at frozen fish and that too was way past its best before date. Not good enough, Tesco can be quite expensive so the least they can do is sell their customer food that is fresh.

• Advertisement

Do you know the difference between best before and use by?

Shops shouldn't be selling after best before even if it's potentially okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I'd say with all the chaos during this strike that it is possible that not all duties and tasks are being covered.

Sure do, and going from previous experience with milk within a day after the best before date it will start to turn sour. If i am to pay the full price for the product i should be able to use it over a period of a few days. Went to the local centra and bought milk there BB date 08/03 that's more like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Shops shouldn't be selling after best before even if it's potentially okay.

Today is 25th, tomorrow is 26th - maybe you are on another universe as in my mind bb 26th means its in date

But there are serial tesco whiners out there who'll whine about anything for the sake of it.

taylor3 wrote: »
    Although in the past I remember looking at frozen fish and that too was way past its best before date. Not good enough, Tesco can be quite expensive so the least they can do is sell their customer food that is fresh.

I doubt that as frozen fish would have a freezer date of 2 years - a lot of frozen products also have a packing / processing date on it. Obviously that will always in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I thought this thread was about and Ed Sheeran sighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭The One Truth

Gosh!! I've only seen these complaints since the strike action...Are other staff deliberately sabatauging Tesco do you think?

Gosh!! I've only seen these complaints since the strike action...Are other staff deliberately sabatauging Tesco do you think?

And OP registered on boards to make the "complaint" but couldn't be arsed just pointing it out to staff.

Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was in Tesco this morning and went to buy a litre of low fat milk. Noticed the Best Before Date was 26 Feb. Just put it back.
    On the milk I get its a use buy date, not BB. I would not trust stuff near its date in my tesco, the milk is usually not cold enough for me to drink, the fridges all seem to be not that cold, presumably to save cost.
    Gosh!! I've only seen these complaints since the strike action..
    There has always been an unusually high bias against tesco on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

rubadub wrote: »
    enough for me to drink, the fridges all seem to be not that cold, presumably to save cost.

I worked for them there's no hidden agendas to 'save cost', if you want to see the temp the fridges are at its in plain view. Look towards the end of the fridge at the top there will be a display, it will have the temp displayed in it.

The store I worked in took it quite seriously if the fridge was malfunctioning, all products removed and placed in the backup fridge out back.

There's also a log book check for temps.

The OP picture, is just laziness to be honest. Ginger loose isn't a great seller in Tesco, so there wouldn't be much staff interaction with it, as much as with say carrots, no excuse as there is a WIBI check that should be done by staff each morning, where they walk all the produce and look for things that they wouldn't buy themselves and remove from sale, that should have flagged that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My local Tesco in Nutgrove has atrocious quality fruit and veg.
    I saw a net of rotten onions leaking all over the fresher ones. Pointed it out to staff member who mumbled "Thanks" and binned them.
    Their fruit and veg has one day's date left on them and I've also seen Granby sausages on sale five days out of date.

Cheese covered with red mould, out of date meat on multiple occasions... It depends on the actual store it seems. The other Tesco nearby is a lot, lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Went to the local centra and bought milk there BB date 08/03 that's more like it.

That's nearly worse!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Tesco is actively involved in Foodcloud, http://food.cloud/how-foodcloud-works/ a programme that reduces food waste, by redirecting unsellable , but usable food to charities and community initiatives that put it to good use. There is a huge problem of good food being thrown out in Ireland , 1,000,000 tonnes being thrown out to be precise. http://food.cloud/the-problem/
    So I admire Tesco for doing what they're doing, and at the moment I'm striving to only buy what I need and also use up all my food without disposing of it unnecessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I was in Tesco this morning and went to buy a litre of low fat milk. Noticed the Best Before Date was 26 Feb. Just put it back. I would assume that because of their strike they are trying to off load their stocks that normally would have been sold during the last week. Although in the past I remember looking at frozen fish and that too was way past its best before date. Not good enough.

Well I suppose that's why they have a best before date clearly written on the packet so customers can choose the freshest product. But I guess reading that is too stressful for some people.

Well I suppose that's why they have a best before date clearly written on the packet so customers can choose the freshest product. But I guess reading that is too stressful for some people.

It's clearly too stressful for their employees anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I don't think the stores are being stocked during the strike, would delivery drivers oat pickets ?

Remember the younger shoppers these days were wrapped in cotton wool by their mammies. They do not understand personal responsibility and expect others to do everything for them.

To have to read dates on food or to use their eyes when picking up a package is quite obviously beyond their capabilities.

• Advertisement

Like what are you on about.. I merly mentioned that the milk for sale has a best before date of 24hrs ... no ones stressing i just put it back continued with my shopping... What the hell ! I just prefer to buy the likes of milk and bread that I know can be consumed (to my satisfaction) over a period of a few days.

Advertisement