Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a Tekna 6.6 (2014+)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Soarer wrote: »
    Ring them.
    Tell them you'll give them £500 deposit over the phone "right now" (subject to inspection) if they can do the following....
    Then tell them what you want (cables, mats, etc.)
    Have your figures worked out what you'd like to pay all-in, and then work backwards.
    Car £11k = ~€13k.
    Travel over and back = ~€500
    Home Charger = ~€500
    Tax = €120.
    Total = €14,200k.

If you try get £1000 off the price, that'll round down to about €13k. So that's your budget.

Then finally tell them taking into account currency, registration tax, travel over and back, etc., and with your budget is €13k, that you can "only" give £10k for the car. But remind him that you're prepared to do it "right now", and you'll be over at the weekend to collect it or whatever.

Would be very surprised if you didn't get the guts of the £1000 off.

In the UK, that won't happen. I've bought quite a few over the years and I've never gotten that off anything, even in the deepest part of this recession!

I got 250 off an 05 Avensis in Birmingham and the following week I went in and bought an E90 320d advertised for 13950 for 10,100 in airside dealers.

Totally different markets but hey, I'd still chance my arm!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Best of luck also mate, 6.6kw are harder and harder to find, there's a good few ads that say 6.6kw but that has generally been seller error in my experience.
    Strangely the 6.6kw option is €900 here on a new car but £1150-1200 in the UK so I can see why guys just don't go for it, especially if they are home charging on night rate

kceire wrote: »
    In the UK, that won't happen. I've bought quite a few over the years and I've never gotten that off anything, even in the deepest part of this recession!

I got 250 off an 05 Avensis in Birmingham and the following week I went in and bought an E90 320d advertised for 13950 for 10,100 in airside dealers.

Agreed, I got £300 off a CMax, £250 off a CRV and £250 off my Leaf last week.
    I think if you go to a UK dealer looking for £1k off they won't take you seriously and will consider it a waste of time supplying video, photos, paperwork or any other request you might have so they'll just string you along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hoping he gets back to me today, because I would like to start planning the journey and organising the card from e-cars. I suppose I should contact those guys now, because I know I am buying a leaf in the UK anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

slave1 wrote: »
    Agreed, I got £300 off a CMax, £250 off a CRV and £250 off my Leaf last week.
    I think if you go to a UK dealer looking for £1k off they won't take you seriously and will consider it a waste of time supplying video, photos, paperwork or any other request you might have so they'll just string you along.

Well that's yere experience.

I've gotten £650, £750 and £900 off the 3 T-Spirit hybrids I've purchased over the last few years.

And why wouldn't they take you seriously? How many people, per day, do you think are emailing them looking for info? I reckon dozens.
    I ring and give a big deposit over the phone there and then. If they don't think that's a reason to take you seriously, they're in the wrong game.

But each to their own.

@kceire: You need to get better at negotiating.

@ slave1. How much discount did you look for off the Leaf?

• Advertisement

Not having any luck on a discount. They've agreed to sort out the bumper scuffs and polish out the other marks. Not sure now. Might just walk on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Never gotten a grand of in the UK in my life and I don't think I'll ever get one. Purchased three vehicles there including a motorcycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I got £400 off the car I bought in the UK. It was listed at £14,000. I paid £13,600.

I just asked them to price match a similar car I had seen elsewhere.

More searching today. Tired of it. So, have provisionally agreed deal with the garage selling the 14 Tekna 24kw with 6.6 OBC. The agreement is that the body work is tidied up at their body shop....I am fussy that way. Also the 13amp and 32amp charge cables will be included. It's a busy day there with the new plates, so I am waiting for confirmation of the acceptance of my terms before going ahead. I have the funds at the ready and feeling good about the pick.

I now have to sort out the home charger.

I've noticed a few posters in recent weeks are reluctant to post their cars until the deal is sealed :D

So, let me post this health warning:

If you try to swoop in on my new car, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you :pac:

Here's the car.

Nice, has the chrome pack too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

goz83 wrote: »
    More searching today. Tired of it. So, have provisionally agreed deal with the garage selling the 14 Tekna 24kw with 6.6 OBC. The agreement is that the body work is tidied up at their body shop....I am fussy that way. Also the 13amp and 32amp charge cables will be included. It's a busy day there with the new plates, so I am waiting for confirmation of the acceptance of my terms before going ahead. I have the funds at the ready and feeling good about the pick.

Nice! Well presented, looks clean.

Are you going to go get it or have it transported? Looks like a bit of a trek but the M4 is a very easy run to Pembroke with lots of rapid chargers. I did that run in mine.

I've noticed a few posters in recent weeks are reluctant to post their cars until the deal is sealed :D

If you try to swoop in on my new car, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you :pac:

Its good to see. There certainly is alot more activity on this forum in the recent weeks which is encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Have you offered asking?

KCross wrote: »
    Nice! Well presented, looks clean.

Are you going to go get it or have it transported? Looks like a bit of a trek but the M4 is a very easy run to Pembroke with lots of rapid chargers. I did that run in mine.

Going to go get it myself. Plan to bring the wife and make a night or two of it. Of course, I am just waiting on the confirmation email and invoice.
    Have you offered asking?

At first, I offered 10750 and expected I would get it at that. I'm generally a good negotiator and get something off as well as stuff added to sweeten the deal. In this case, no discount, but bumper scuff and a couple of bonnet stone chips are to be made right.

If it falls through, I have another one on standby for 500 less.

Going to go get it myself. Plan to bring the wife and make a night or two of it. Of course, I am just waiting on the confirmation email and invoice.

I used all ecotricity chargers for that run on the M4 to Pembroke. Get your account setup online with them and you need to register a credit card and download the app to your phone. There is no RFID card involved with them anymore, just the app, so you need internet access on the phone to do it.

Look at the middle of this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99372631

You'll see the stops I made and how much charge I'd left etc and it was a 24kWh as well so you'll have a good yardstick to work with if you are going to Pembroke. I drove at 75mph(on the clock) which is a real world 70mph.

Are you going to Pembroke or Liverpool or Holyhead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I just bought that this morning! Couldn't wait any longer for the delayed Ioniq and got my deposit back. Sorry man!

This may not be true :p

KCross wrote: »
    I used all ecotricity chargers for that run on the M4 to Pembroke. Get your account setup online with them and you need to register a credit card and download the app to your phone. There is no RFID card involved with them anymore, just the app, so you need internet access on the phone to do it.

Look at the middle of this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99372631

You'll see the stops I made and how much charge I'd left etc and it was a 24kWh as well so you'll have a good yardstick to work with if you are going to Pembroke. I drove at 75mph(on the clock) which is a real world 70mph.

Are you going to Pembroke or Liverpool or Holyhead?

I'll be doing Holyhead, because I live in Dublin. I was looking at Liverpool, but it's only a bit of extra driving to Holyhead and I can cover the extra distance in the car, rather than the Ferry. So I would be driving the M1>M6>A55.

Nice one for the heads up on the APP. I may well use that.

I'll be doing Holyhead, because I live in Dublin. I was looking at Liverpool, but it's only a bit of extra driving to Holyhead and I can cover the extra distance in the car, rather than the Ferry. So I would be driving the M1>M6>A55.

Factor in if you can do an overnight sailing from Liverpool, it's cheap as chips mid-week. Also, it leaves you with an excess of time (in case something goes wrong and you're behind time).

Just something to bear in mind.

Factor in if you can do an overnight sailing from Liverpool, it's cheap as chips mid-week. Also, it leaves you with an excess of time (in case something goes wrong and you're behind time).

Just something to bear in mind.

Will be going on a weekend. She can't get time off work. I'm more flexible that way, but she wants to come along....besides, I will need a second driver because my back would be in bits with all that driving.

I see that CYC have an app now also. Can we use this or will it demand a UK address/card details, etc?

I got mine home with just access to Ecotricity's network. However, you may need to cover your bases just in case there's an outage at one of the Ecotricity chargers...

OK, you need to do your homework on the charge network on your route then. All the various providers have good and bad patches. Motorways are usually good but you better have it well mapped out to be sure. I'd start with ecotricity, they have a good map of their network and dont require any money up front. Some others do.

I'd also agree with @isnottheword, that you dont run a tight schedule to make it to the ferry. It will be your first jaunt in an EV so give yourself plenty of extra time to be sure. Whatever about running out of power at home, on a motorway in the UK will seriously rain on your parade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Irish ferries offer a free 3.6kW charger on most of the ferries operating on the holyhead route. You need to add EV charging to your booking.

Invoice just came through :D. The rep has to ask the body shop tomorrow how soon the body work can be sorted. After that, I can get it checked out by the RAC (or other). Is the basic check sufficient?

I had asked about another Leaf earlier. It has a few more miles, but id £500 less and the same colour. I swear to jaysus I am being teased here. I got an email confirmation to confirm it's a 6.6kw not 5 minutes after I got the invoice for the car I have picked. The guy just emailed me and answered all my questions about chargers and finance cleared and all the bells. He mentioned a chipped windscreen that need to be sorted and the usual stone chips on bonnet. :pac:

Tough decision

Wouldn't consider a chipped windscreen a major issue if they don't take care of it, wait a week or so when you have her insured and ring up your insurance company and tell them you got a chip that morning driving around, it will be fixed under your windscreen cover with no effect to your NCB, all your insurance company will want to hear is that the chip happened under their period of cover...
    Obviously less hassle for you if they take care of it now...

Here's the car.

Lovely looking, that gun metal looks cool, make sure they have the Sat Nav SD card included, they can be annoying if missing and not cheap to replace, around £60 I think.

Re sharing the car, ha ha, the anonymity of the internet prevails, no way I shared in case someone else 'stole' it after all my hard work to find it.

After that, I can get it checked out by the RAC (or other). Is the basic check sufficient?
    Do you get what you pay for with this check? Are the properly trained to fully check an EV? My concern would be two fold;

1. That there's little for them to check - that you can't check yourself (by comparison with an EV).
    &
    2. You will be paying for something that doesn't deliver (if the guy is used to doing ICE checks - it's not the same thing if he has no experience of EV).

slave1 wrote: »
    Lovely looking, that gun metal looks cool, make sure they have the Sat Nav SD card included, they can be annoying if missing and not cheap to replace, around £60 I think.

Re sharing the car, ha ha, the anonymity of the internet prevails, no way I shared in case someone else 'stole' it after all my hard work to find it.

I seen 2016 map cards on donedeal/adverts for €50.
    Would it be worth upgrading from a 2014 car?

Would it be worth upgrading from a 2014 car?
    Nissans mapping can be a bit lousy (that's based on experience of driving a 2014). No idea if it has improved in recent versions?

I now have a solid offer for the other Leaf for £700 less. (£10,250)

Same year and spec. Similar colour. 10k more miles and no chrome pack and also willing to sort the body work for me. A bit harder to get to, but i'm very tempted. I found it by chance on a dealer site and it hadn't even got a photo up at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Would the dealer not upgrade the maps for free during a service? I'm getting the impression that Hyundai do. I wouldn't mind if it is included in the annual €79 service charge :D

• Advertisement

I now have a solid offer for the other Leaf for £700 less. (£10,250)

Same year and spec. Similar colour. 10k more miles and no chrome pack and also willing to sort the body work for me. A bit harder to get to, but i'm very tempted. I found it by chance on a dealer site and it hadn't even got a photo up at that stage.
    Cash is king - play one off against the other and get the best bang for yer £.

Advertisement