Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a Tekna 6.6 (2014+)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

Be utterly ruthless. It's your hard earned money. Any savings you make can go to much worthier goals like a family holiday or whatever you fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I might go with the cheaper one. The other rep is taking a long time to get anything done. He never sent the VIN, which I asked for just after the invoice was sent. I asked him to send me the VIN number by email over an hour ago. Maybe I am being impatient, but the VIN should have been on the invoice, which itself was mostly illegible, like a very bad fax.

So all going well, in a few hours time, I will have a Leaf picked. The one I linked is the first choice, but the rep is not as on the ball as the second Leaf, who has sent me a personalised video of the car, confirming the 6.6kw OBC and quick run run around less than 2 hours after I asked. It's got higher miles, is a bit further away and doesn't have the chrome pack, but i's also £700 less, so it's not really a second option, as I would be very happy to take that one too. Part of me wants to buy them both :D

The ecar cards arrived this morning. Now I am looking into the home chargers. Most likely will buy Rolec one from the UK.....but maybe the Irish crowd will price match if asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

kceire wrote: »
    I seen 2016 map cards on donedeal/adverts for €50.
    Would it be worth upgrading from a 2014 car?

Last year when I was going through mine we compared my 151 map to a 161 map and they appeared to be running the same version of the map.

Let me see if I can find that post with the version numbers and you can cross check what you already have on yours

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99400937

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

goz83 wrote: »
    Now I am looking into the home chargers. Most likely will buy Rolec one from the UK.....but maybe the Irish crowd will price match if asked.
    Will you need a home charger right from the get go? I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a 32 Amp (unused) Chargemaster chargepoint in Manchester (from a private seller that had listed the item in the classifieds section of the speakev forum) - just an hour down the road from where I picked up the car - for £150.

This price is exceptional - there were some units floating around for a time that were never used and sold off for cheap (with some speculation as regards how they were sourced!).

Notwithstanding that, you are likely to get plenty of people in the UK selling on used chargers for cheap - as their circumstances change for whatever reason (perhaps they move away - or change car that may necessitate change of chargepoint if original was a tethered unit, etc). Check ebay listings.

If you are fortunate enough to have a public charger close by, perhaps you can hold out for a while - and wait for one to come on the market....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...The ecar cards arrived this morning..

Mine arrived this morning but there was just one, did you get two?

slave1 wrote: »
    Mine arrived this morning but there was just one, did you get two?

I did indeed. I asked for 2 though.

Will you need a home charger right from the get go? I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a 32 Amp (unused) Chargemaster chargepoint in Manchester (from a private seller that had listed the item in the classifieds section of the speakev forum) - just an hour down the road from where I picked up the car - for £150.

This price is exceptional - there were some units floating around for a time that were never used and sold off for cheap (with some speculation as regards how they were sourced!).

Notwithstanding that, you are likely to get plenty of people in the UK selling on used chargers for cheap - as their circumstances change for whatever reason (perhaps they move away - or change car that may necessitate change of chargepoint if original was a tethered unit, etc). Check ebay listings.

If you are fortunate enough to have a public charger close by, perhaps you can hold out for a while - and wait for one to come on the market....

I'll look at ebay to see if anything jumps out. I figure I may as well get one installed asap, otherwise I will get lazy about it. I also want one with the 13amp socket and tethered cable.

I did indeed. I asked for 2 though.

If you don't ask.... :)

Think I'll just leave mine in the car (chances are someone will not leave it back in the car after using it). Or maybe ask them for another one too. More reliable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've asked for 2 also and they said no problem. Plan is to leave one in the car.

• Advertisement

My plan B has been sold yesterday evening. Ah well, the guy asked me if I wanted the car taken off sale and I said "no". It would have been sh1tty if I said "yes" without committing to a deal, so that's the way that went and it has at least focused my mind back to the original car. I finally have the info I was looking for, less the bank details to pay deposit. I did a check and there is finance outstanding, but I know it's just been returned from a 3 year PCP deal. I rang the rep and he said this will be verified as cleared before I am driving away and the car will be finished in the body shop on Wednesday.

Looks like I will be collecting on Saturday unless there are any big problems. :D

I still think the Leaf is an ugly car but it's growing on me and i'm actually getting excited. :D

At least the colour is my favourite and the chrome pack really enhances it.

So collecting the car is going to cost a few quid.

I could have gone with a transporter for around €400.
    I could have got a €20 flight on Thursday and a Ferry for around €200 (circa 250 with food).
    Instead I opted to go the expensive route and bring the wife :)
    Flights over costing €250 on Saturday. Ferry a bit over €250 but added flexible change and a cabin. Will be staying somewhere in the UK on Saturday night and that will be around €100 (so will be spending around 700 with meals). We are making a small trip out of it, taking our time and doing a few stops along the way. TBH, I don't think my back would survive 250 miles of driving through the UK without some proper stopping off time.

Road trip! Enjoy :)

So collecting the car is going to cost a few quid.

I could have gone with a transporter for around €400.
    I could have got a €20 flight on Thursday and a Ferry for around €200 (circa 250 with food).
    Instead I opted to go the expensive route and bring the wife :)
    Flights over costing €250 on Saturday. Ferry a bit over €250 but added flexible change and a cabin. Will be staying somewhere in the UK on Saturday night and that will be around €100 (so will be spending around 700 with meals). We are making a small trip out of it, taking our time and doing a few stops along the way. TBH, I don't think my back would survive 250 miles of driving through the UK without some proper stopping off time.

I wanted to do that with herself but the kids got in the way :)
    Enjoy!

Enjoy!

You're doing it wrong!

Goz83 has 5 kids and he managed to get rid of them for the trip :p

unkel wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong!

Goz83 has 5 kids and he managed to get rid of them for the trip :p

I struggle to get rid of them for my football match and that's only 2 hours!

I'm not much better myself :o

We've been away without kids just the one time in 13 years...

Enjoy!
    unkel wrote: »
    I'm not much better myself :o

We've been away without kids just the one time in 13 years...

Volkwagen Caravelle. Room enough for them all :D
    Had the lot of us in Spain in October visiting my Mammy :p

I just had a heart stopping moment. Email from Irish Ferries for my sailing TODAY !!

I had picked the flexi option, so was able to change the date...phew.......But then it said the Cabin booking couldn't be retained (a loss of £40) and the difference in the ferry price was £20 (total loss £60). I called Irish Ferries. Closed on Sunday :(

Feck it, I thought to myself. I'm getting that cabin!!! So, I booked it again....adding another £40 (Total loss now £100).

I selected the option to confirm and pay.

Payment due £0 :D

Thank You Irish Ferries.

Merc just sold :cool:

Going to rent a car for the week now. €60 isn't bad for the week (toyota auris)...collect today and drop off at the airport on Saturday before we fly. Saves us a taxi :D

Merc just sold :cool:

Going to rent a car for the week now. €60 isn't bad for the week (toyota auris)...collect today and drop off at the airport on Saturday before we fly. Saves us a taxi :D

Everything falling nicely into place.

• Advertisement

in less than 24 hours, I should be sitting in the drivers seat. Everything booked. Ecotricity App downloaded and set up. Garage called yesterday to say car was still in body shop (told them I was arranging RAC inspection), so the body should be as new now. Finance is still showing as outstanding, but will have confirmation from garage that it's cleared on collection. They are a main dealer, so I am not expecting this to be an issue. They know I am taking the full V5C and although my route is not planned fully with regards to chargers, I plan to stop about every 50 miles to be safe and will gauge things on the drive. Staying in a nice hotel on the Saturday night about 40 miles from Holyhead, so have loads of time to get to the afternoon sailing. Sterling has fallen by around €500 since I made up my mind a week ago, so I think I am going to lock in my exchange rate today on the Revolut App. The spend limit is £5k per 96 hours, so I got a second card for herself and will transfer £5k to hers. The rest will be my debit or credit card. Actually getting excited now....don't tell the wife :D

Rolec Charger ordered too :)

(told them I was arranging RAC inspection), so the body should be as new now.
    Have you queried the RAC on their ability to carry out a full inspection on an EV? For example, what will they use to test the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

in less than 24 hours, I should be sitting in the drivers seat.

Remind me again, cause Im lazy and dont want to decipher 5 pages of posts, what exactly are you buying...

Year, model, onboard charger, mileage, price(if you want to share!)

Have you queried the RAC on their ability to carry out a full inspection on an EV? For example, what will they use to test the battery?

Not having the RAC inspection. I haven't had indication that it's worthwhile for an EV. I just did a history check and the only outstanding thing is the finance, which I am assured will be cleared before driving away and I will have written confirmation of same.
    KCross wrote: »
    Remind me again, cause Im lazy and dont want to decipher 5 pages of posts, what exactly are you buying...

Year, model, onboard charger, mileage, price(if you want to share!)

March 2014 Tekna, 6.6 OBC, 26k miles, £10,950 (€12,550 at todays rate which I have locked in). Got it in the gun metal grey too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

March 2014 Tekna, 6.6 OBC, 26k miles, £10,950 (€12,550 at todays rate which I have locked in). Got it in the gun metal grey too.

Very nice, almost the same as my car. I have a June 14 Tekna, now just over 30k miles. Mine is red though.

I have to say I wouldn't have been making travel plans until I had the confirmation about the finance, but I'm sure all will be fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sound lovely, that's the best colour IMHO, followed closely by the metallic silver of course

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Very nice, almost the same as my car. I have a June 14 Tekna, now just over 30k miles. Mine is red though.

I have to say I wouldn't have been making travel plans until I had the confirmation about the finance, but I'm sure all will be fine.

I did flag the finance and the rep was able to put my mind at ease without the BS meter turning on. He didn't try to hide it, or say anything about delays in system updates. He just said it all gets cleared in a certain way, as they are a main dealer and I would be driving away with it sorted.
    slave1 wrote: »
    Sound lovely, that's the best colour IMHO, followed closely by the metallic silver of course

Yeah, I was hoping to get that colour. Also has the chrome pack, which is like professional make-up on an ugly chick :D

Bon voyage :)

Not having the RAC inspection. I haven't had indication that it's worthwhile for an EV.
    Dead right - wouldn't be a good investment of your $ (not until RAC offer a tailored inspect for EV's - having trained their tech's and even then, it's debatable if there's a whole lot for them to inspect by comparison with an ICE).
    €1.14 to the GBP today - your timing is impeccable :-D

I did flag the finance and the rep was able to put my mind at ease without the BS meter turning on. He didn't try to hide it, or say anything about delays in system updates. He just said it all gets cleared in a certain way, as they are a main dealer and I would be driving away with it sorted.
    Mine showed up with a finance issue when I was buying last year also. Just like you, I was a bit concerned - but they cleared it. So long as they understand they're to present you with a cleared/clean HPI check document before you drive away, then that's fine.

• Advertisement

So we arrived at the garage at about 10:30am to pick up car. All was good. Finance cleared and fresh MOT. Have done about 50 miles now and stopped off for 1st charge on Ecotricity. Had a hairy moment where it wouldn't charge but a quick phone call to Ecotricity and a reboot, they remotely sorted it. Down to 29% battery from garage to Watford.

Having a bite to eat now while car is on charge.

Advertisement