Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo / Steel Shed

Options
  • 25-02-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks

I'm in the process of purchasing a shed for my garden - predominantly for storing my three bikes. I also intend using my turbo in the shed.

Has anyone any recommendations on what size shed would be suitable with a turbo being used? Its a smallish garden but I don't want to buy a shed too tight inside! What about ventilation / insulation?

Help appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Toshiba24 wrote: »
    What about ventilation / insulation?

No input on the shed but definitely get this sorted or you'll end up with rust/mould on your turbo/bikes.

One of those garden type houses would be the best bet I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The smallest space you can get away with is obviously the length of your bike + turbo, and the width of your turbo. That would put the wall right in your face though and I couldn't cope with that personally. Also wouldn't leave much space to mount bike in turbo etc., of course.

I just measured the space that I use for my turbo and it all fits within 3m x 2m. That includes the pedestal fan, and a chair in front of the bike on which I sit my laptop (I use TrainerRoad for turbo sessions so need a computer for that). My turbo is quite wide, certainly wider than most. It's within a reasonably large room though which helps with not running out of fresh air during a session.

For ventilation, I've always had the luxury of using an indoor room for turbo sessions, so rooms with 2.4m high ceiling and usually no smaller than 3m x 3m and ventilation has never been a problem. The fan helps a lot there though. You could always open the shed door or a window, maybe.

For insulation, I have a heavily insulated steel shed on an insulated slab. It's insulated for the benefit of the stuff within it and it works extremely well. If you read about steel sheds online you'll almost certainly come across lots of accounts of condensation running down off the ceiling and the walls inside, but there has never been even a hint of condensation inside mine. I have a small electric heater plugged in in there on its lowest setting - it has a thermostat and that lowest setting makes it kick in only if the temperature gets down to single digit figures in there and even then it never comes on for very long at a time. It's a luxury "shed" though, more like an outdoor room really, I got it from Shanette Sheds (http://www.shanettesheds.ie/) and it cost more than many people would be willing to spend on a "shed", but I've been very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Looks about right.

http://www.shanettesheds.ie/garden-room/

Shower room and bar what more could you ask for ;)

Garden-room5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Toshiba24

Thanks very much for the reply. Just seen it!

Advertisement