Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Mobile Phone Options

Options
  • 25-02-2017 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭

I am running out of contract next week and I'm trying to decide what to do after. My current contract is really bad by todays standards, I will not continue for a single day on those conditions. Also I own a phone that I will not be replacing.

So I'm looking at bill pay, pre-pay and sim only and I'm not really clear what is the best option for me.

Bill pay seems to be basically just a mobile phone loan purchase contract. Since I have a phone that would be silly.
    Sim only equivalents to bill pay seem to offer very little savings over their contract equivalents.
    Pre pay seems the cheapest. There is a €15 unlimited calls option from Tesco with 10GB which is loads for me, effectively unlimited. And there is a €20 option with unlimited data and 350 call minutes from Three. 350 call minutes is also practically unlimited for me.

Those seem fine, same network in any case. But are there catches? Like if you forget to top up, you fall back on some mad rates where they fleece you? Can you set up a 'standing', a recurring top-up and just forget about the whole thing?
    Are there there implications like mad roaming rates over bill pay?

The providers seem to deliberately obscure things all the way down to eircoms outrageous campaigns of "only €5 a month*"

* "for the first month, hehe, then €250 a day for the rest of your life"

So how does the informed boardsie conduct her mobile phones business these days?

Advertisement