Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Oliver Chop-Dice-Slice 3 piece knife set

• 25-02-2017 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭

€12 in debenhams, you won't find better knifes for the price. Picked mine up in Cork.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

These are good knifes. Very sharp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I got these knives a few years ago when they were on special in Argos, and they're excellent.

A really decent buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I liked these at first but found they have gotten blunt fairly quickly. Always seem to be on offer somewhere though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

TheDriver wrote: »
    I liked these at first but found they have gotten blunt fairly quickly. Always seem to be on offer somewhere though
    Anything other than wood or plastic chopping boards wreak havoc on any knife. If I had a € for every time I caught the wife chopping stuff on a plate, I'd be minted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

dodzy wrote: »
    Anything other than wood or plastic chopping boards wreak havoc on any knife. If I had a € for every time I caught the wife chopping stuff on a plate, I'd be minted.

Its the husbands chopping stuff on metal/glass etc. Maybe a generalisation.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

also got them in argos a while back.. 3 euro,bought two sets, bargain for 3 euro, 30 euro on the package is lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

These are good knifes. Very sharp

All knifes are sharp when you buy them, but none will remain sharp forever if you don't maintain the blade :pac: :D

The easiest maintenance is to spend 10 seconds sharpening it before use, when it's still sharp. If you wait to become dull, you kinda lost it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Why **** do they have to be so bloody ugly looking though......

Ill stick with Victorinox.

Not sure if this belongs to boards.ie/pormoting or boards.ie/showingoff :D :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Victrinox are middle of of the road, at best.

If you want a good knife buy a Whustof

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to be listed on the debenhams website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Excellent knives, great purchase have mine a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelbmx

Doesn't seem to be listed on the debenhams website?

Picked them up in store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Victrinox are middle of of the road, at best.

True but I've found them perfect for me weren't to expensive and very comfortable to use.

TheDriver wrote: »

Do/did you use a steel on them?

Mine are Sabatier. Had them 12 years and I sharpen them regularly(and use them daily). Im not saying no to the Whustof, just saying Sabatier are good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Don't use a steel. If you want sharp knives - and I mean sharp enough to shave with - then buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EP5XI3W

It's a rig that holds the stone at a set angle to the knife. It's a cheap knockoff of a professional rig but it works very well.

And when buying a knife, buy a stainless chefs knife, with a full tang and riveted handles and leave Jamie Oliver to do what he does best - making mediocre cooking shows. This one isn't stainless but will be fine if you don't put it in the dishwasher or leave it wet.

Then look at some knife skills videos on YouTube. You can replace half your kitchen equipment with a good sharp knife and good technique.

stimpson wrote: »
    Don't use a steel. If you want sharp knives - and I mean sharp enough to shave with - then buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EP5XI3W

It's a rig that holds the stone at a set angle to the knife. It's a cheap knockoff of a professional rig but it works very well.

And when buying a knife, buy a stainless chefs knife, with a full tang and riveted handles and leave Jamie Oliver to do what he does best - making mediocre cooking shows. This one isn't stainless but will be fine if you don't put it in the dishwasher or leave it wet.

Then look at some knife skills videos on YouTube. You can replace half your kitchen equipment with a good sharp knife and good technique.

AFAIK stainless steel is pretty mych the standard nowdays. Carbon abd High carbon steel are even stronger materials

Btw, your second link is a stainless steel knive:
    BdfywP2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Had a look at these, but they're hideous, and I'm not convinced about the quality.

For a bit more money I think this is about the best you'll get for a budget chef's knife. I've had one for about 20 years and I imagine it will last a lot longer:

Advertisement