Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't shoot for s**t off a bipod

Options
  • 25-02-2017 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a little frustrated with this now. I can cloverleaf (probably under 1/2 MOA) all day long at 100 yds with my .223 when I'm shooting off a bag. So I know the rifle is good and the ammo is good.

When I switch to the bipod in the same sitting (same rifle, same ammo, same target even), the groups open up to a little over 1 MOA (horizontally - which I find a little weird).

I have a harris style swivel bipod mounted to the sling stud. I put a mat under the bipod. And I preload the bipod legs a little when shooting.

Are there any other tips and tricks you fine people have for shooting off a bipod?

Thanks,
    Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Maybe check that the barrel is free floating.. and maybe when you add the bipod and load it a little again check it.. that's my first taught..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

It's definitely free floating unloaded. I'll check it tomorrow again in my shooting position.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Is the fore-end flexing, what stock is it?

It's a Tikka T3 standard stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Its pretty flexible up front so, its worth shooting a group with a very tight hold/cheek weld and one with a light hold.
    I'd expect to see different poi on paper.
    Im assuming youre keeping an eye on wind..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm shooting a Marlin Xs7 .243 with a tilting Harris bipod attached via QD swivel studs. The overall stock in theses guns are flimsy and will twist up along the forestock. Now these are not free floated and are indeed designed with a pressure point at the end of the stock. This gun will shoot sub moa groups no problem.
    I never have the tilt mechanism loose enough to allow the rifle to flop to one side unsupported, to cant the rifle I must use a positive pressure to do so. I, as far as I can make out only lightly load the bipod but usually use my off hand to support the rear of the butt and sometimes the wrist of my shooting hand. So what I'm saying is that I don't tend, again as far as I know to put a serious amount of downward pressure on the stock, I simply allow the rifle to be supported by it.
    Now there is plenty of science to say that the mere weight of the rifle resting on a central point is enough to cause an upward force to interfere with a 'non freefloated barrel' as can a large moderator fitted to a lightweight sporter barrel under similar circumstances.
    Maybe the fact that I have a wildcat predator stuck onto such a light barrel is compensated by the upward force of my bipod on a bendy stock. In this case maybe two wrongs can make a right.
    I've tested my set up out to 300 yards and I'm still getting decent groups relative to equipment and MOA at distance. Are you maybe being a bit harsh on both your self and your set up.

So, that's a question. Am I expecting too much when I ask for the same groups from a bipod as from a front bag?

I guess I just want to be getting the best I can from my setup. I know that a lot of the time it's the shooters technique that's at fault when groups start to open up. So, if there's a technique I'm missing .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

This guy seems to be experiencing the same -

https://www.usacarry.com/forums/long-gun-tactics-training-and-practice/11932-will-using-bypod-change-my-point-impact.html

My buddy had a Savage 110 in 30-06. It was not free-floated. We put my Harris Bipod on it and went to the range. For my buddy it changed his point of impact about 1-1 1/2 inches. For me it changed the point of impact 2-3 inches. The bipod is as far forward as it can get. This is a lot further forward than where you hold standing unsupported. It definitely put pressure on the barrel. My buddy just let the rifle set in the bipod. I on the other hand put pressure on the rifle to make it rock steady.

There you have it sports fans. It will change point of impact.

After I free floated the barrel and bedded the action the same rifle had not point of impact change with or without the bipod. It is all about the pressure point and barrel harmonics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

alanmc wrote: »
    So, that's a question. Am I expecting too much when I ask for the same groups from a bipod as from a front bag?

I guess I just want to be getting the best I can from my setup. I know that a lot of the time it's the shooters technique that's at fault when groups start to open up. So, if there's a technique I'm missing .....

Some will say to zero your gun under the same conditions that you will use it in the field. In other words if you go a foot with a bare rifle then zero it as such using only your rested hand as a support. Some even dismiss the use of gun rest / vices as they can give an inaccurate or false results, they are perfect for judging grouping when your POI is not an issue.

Anyhow that's some people, ......I tend to super glue my gun to something steadfast, zero it and after prying it lose shoot some shots from my usual field shooting postions - prone / bipod, sitting / sticks and standing/ sticks. Once it's minute of angle of whatever I'm shooting rabbits, fox or deer then I'm happy.

Advertisement