Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice pls

• 25-02-2017 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭

Evening all
    Looking for some advise here
    I recently bought a used car from a independent dealer, after 3 days I had a warning message appear on dash. I contacted dealer, he took car away and fixed the problem.
    The message reappeared the same day, again dealer takes car and fixes it, the message reappeared again on the way home.
    Should I allow the dealer attempt another repair or demand a refund ,and can I even expect a refund.
    Sorry if im a little vague but I dont want giving exact details.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What did the dealer actually do each time to fix the issue? To me it sounds like the dealer just clearing the error rather than addressing the issue that is causing it to appear. So when you drive off the same error just appears again later on because the issue is still there.

You need to go back this time and ask the dealer he needs to diagnose the specific issue causing the error and how does he plan to fix it permanently rather than just clearing the fault and sending you on your way for it to appear again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Pay 40 or 50 quid to have a proper diagnostic done on the car .. elsewhere . Pinpoint the problem. . Then at least u have some grounds to go back to the dealer u bought the car from.and tell him you have gotten a second opinion else where on the engine light. .he may be obliged to fix it then under any agreement you and him have made during the car sale in the terms of warranty. . It seems like he's just turning the light off each time without fixing the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Thanks Bazz
    Yea I dont believe he is willing to fix the issue correctly hes just trying to push the problem down the line till he can wash his hands off it.
    Its very easly fixed but will cost around 1k to fix correctly.

Thanks Colash
    Its not an engine light, its a message and I know the cause and how to rectify the issue hes just trying to find a cheaper solution

What sort of warranty did you get with the car? How much did the car cost you?

If you're having trouble getting them to fix the issue then you can be sure you will have even more trouble trying to get a refund. The small claims court might be an option to force them to repair it but it doesn't always apply or get the issue resolved.

• Advertisement

I couldnt ger a 3rd party warrenty as the milage is over 200kms, I got assurances that he would take care off any issues I might have.
    The car cost close to.6k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

What is problem if u don't mind me asking ?

Dealers offering these 3rd party warranties or insurance policies can use them as a get out of jail card when you go back to them with something wrong that the warranty company won't cover. When the car they are selling doesn't meet the criteria of that 3rd party warranty then you have to think how is this guy going to fix anything major when he the reality is that he doesn't want to deal with anything you come back with. I always advise people buying to avoid dealers operating this way who just don't want anyone coming back to them with problems.

I'm afraid you are going to have a mighty battle with this guy to fix it or even get him to refund you.

Thanks guys
    Im thinking that I could have a fight on my hands.
    Im gut is telling me to reject the car and ask for a full refund. From what I have read Im not being unreasonable asking for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

You're right, reject the piece of junk. Go in there with a head like thunder and get your dough back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If you're in a position to return the car for a refund (honestly no idea of your rights here) I would. I wouldn't be happy at all if I bought a car second hand or otherwise and the engine light came on after 3 days.

Advertisement