Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

securing files on a memory stick

Options
  • 25-02-2017 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

whats the best ?way to keep stuff safe on a memory stick? use something winrar? or something like veracrypt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Bob Z wrote: »
    whats the best ?way to keep stuff safe on a memory stick? use something winrar? or something like veracrypt?

VeraCrypt would be the more secure option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

VeraCrypt would be the more secure option.

can i open them on another computer or does the other computer need truecrypt installed too?

Bob Z wrote: »
    can i open them on another computer or does the other computer need truecrypt installed too?

TrueCrypt is no longer consider secure as it is not maintained. VeraCrypt is an off-shoot from TrueCrypt and is maintained so is secure.

Each computer that needs to access the data will need VeraCrypt installed on it. This would be the same if you were using WinRAR or 7Zip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

TrueCrypt is no longer consider secure as it is not maintained. VeraCrypt is an off-shoot from TrueCrypt and is maintained so is secure.

Each computer that needs to access the data will need VeraCrypt installed on it. This would be the same if you were using WinRAR or 7Zip.

Can't you just copy the VeraCrypt executable to the memory stick and run them from there like you used to be able with True Crypt?

.... goes off to try for self.

Edit>http://portableapps.com/apps/security/veracrypt-portable works just the same a TrueCrypt?

Create a small FAT32 partition. A few megs should do. On it put the veracode binary. Add a few more handy utilities as well. Then create a second encrypted partition to store your sensitive files.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Can't you just copy the VeraCrypt executable to the memory stick and run them from there like you used to be able with True Crypt?

.... goes off to try for self.

Edit>http://portableapps.com/apps/security/veracrypt-portable works just the same a TrueCrypt?

Excellent - Thank you.

Advertisement