Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engineer (in cork) when buying a house

Options
  • 25-02-2017 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

hi all

hoping to buy a house in the south cork suburbs in the near future so i'm looking for recommendations (and prices) for an engineer to check out any place we get an offer accepted on so please pm any you'd recommend.

we sold our house recently and the buyers bank sent in their own one but he didn't stay for that long. our first house was a new build but this time around it will be a secondhand property so i'm assuming that it goes without saying that for peace of mind we should get someone in to check out the house?? and is it just a structural engineer you would get or is there some other type of engineer who does this type of inspection??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you have particular concerns about the structure (foundations, walls, roof, floors) of the building, go with a structural engineer.

Otherwise, a building surveyor is the best person to go with. https://www.scsi.ie/members/search

Using someone reasonably local will keep travel costs down. Having drawings helps. Get prices from 3 suppliers.

Make sure they are approved by your funder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Thanks Victor. I don't know anything about how to spot if a house has any structural issues so would you think a building surveyor might and if needs be then I'd go down the structural engineer route?? The house is in an estate which is maybe 15 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 6 021electrician

Where in Cork are you thinking of buying? You should be getting the electrics checked out also (periodic inspection report) by an REC. Most of the time the survey reports just comment on the electrics stating that they "look okay" but should be tested by a registered electrical contractor. It could be the difference between a small upgrade or a complete rewire.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bungaro79 wrote: »
    Thanks Victor. I don't know anything about how to spot if a house has any structural issues so would you think a building surveyor might and if needs be then I'd go down the structural engineer route??
    Any cracks that are more than superficial, sloping floors, leaning walls, etc.

At 15 years old, do expect to have to spend money on things, e.g. boiler, insulation, painting, carpets, general maintenance, alarms, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Victor wrote:
    Otherwise, a building surveyor is the best person to go with.

Go with an engineer. Every property in Priory Hall was passed by a building surveyor. Engineers are a little more expensive but this is the biggest purchase of your life. Don't cut back here. It could be a huge mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

i've no problem paying more if thats what i need as its such a huge financial decision like you said sleeper.
    victor, i was thinking the same that there will be things to replace or do up considering the age but hopefully nothing too big!

Advertisement