Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat B6 2006

• 25-02-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Looking for anyone that might have a notion what this problem is... Let me start

I own a 2006 Passat and have it now going on 7 years...and maybe out of every 10 handbrake presses it worked 8 times... Which didn't bother me but then around 9 months ago it stopped working so I done some homework and read it might be the handbrake button so i replaced it and it worked fine for maybe 2 months then the same problem came back and it stopped working... So once again i bought another handbrake button and put it in and weirdly the car made a loud beep and ever since then when the car goes over 10mph it beeps all the time to the handbrake button and the brake symbol flash all the time....so I dropped it to a mechanic and he said the ABS module had packed in so I tracked one down and he put it in and seems the issue still wasnt resolved so he tried another ABS module and now None of them will code to the car so now I have a flashing glow plug symbol.... Flashing ABS....flashing ESP...flashing AIRBAG... and no cruise control. The first ABS module he coded went in and took the code but he said the ABS module was sending no power to the caliper motors on the back....the diagnostics he was using is a SNAP ON Modis Ultra.... I have lost all faith in the mechanic as he seems lost.... Any advice would be most welcome as I'm at the end of the road with this issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 billunnee

do you know if the mechanic saved a scan from the old module, The coding will be lost when the module is replaced, He would need to have a copy of the original code or he won't be able to code the new ABS module,
    You'd be probably better off getting a mechanic who has Vag-com, its a standalone diagnostic software for VW group cars but you still need your original abs control module code

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭terryG79

Thanks for your reply and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have it and forgot to save it... He had another Passat there that he took the code from and it worked but then when he had to take it back out because the handbrake still wasnt working on tried the same code again and it won't accept it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sounds like what your car needed may have been one (or both) rear calliper actuators to fix your intermittent handbrake fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

First of all it's the parking brake control module that supplies the power to the rear calipers. I assume he has been changing this controller and not the actual ABS controller as you are saying?

I agree with the above poster that it sounds like a caliper issue. When these develop a caliper fault the controller won't send power to the caliper until the issue is resolved and the correct procedure is followed to reset the controller.

Thank you both of you for replying this is exactly what I thought was the issue from the start and now I am driving a christmas tree down the road...is it hard to get the code back from the module which is what he said i needed as now i have 3 of them my old one and two second hand parts... I know you can go to VW and they use SVM to go online to get it but is there a cheaper option than a main dealer as i dont want to head down crazy money street

• Advertisement

The coding isn't an issue for anyone who is familiar with them. Where in the country are you?

This is one of the 3 parts I have and this ones part number is the same one as the original one I have and the other one is a different part number

Thanks George I'm in Carlow but am in Dublin quiet a bit thanks

George i just googled you are over in Laois I could drop over to you and you could have a look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

terryG79 wrote: »
    George i just googled you are over in Laois I could drop over to you and you could have a look at it

You should have done that in the first place.

• Advertisement

Totally see the error ofy ways now... So hard looking for a good mechanic that's not over priced sadly there's too many supposed "mechanics" these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

terryG79 wrote: »
    Totally see the error ofy ways now... So hard looking for a good mechanic that's not over priced sadly there's too many supposed "mechanics" these days
    Hopefully GD will get you sorted. Undoing the other messers work will be his first challenge. Keep us posted.

Thanks JCA greatly appreciated and will of course

• Registered Users Posts: 9 billunnee

First of all it's the parking brake control module that supplies the power to the rear calipers. I assume he has been changing this controller and not the actual ABS controller as you are saying?

I agree with the above poster that it sounds like a caliper issue. When these develop a caliper fault the controller won't send power to the caliper until the issue is resolved and the correct procedure is followed to reset the controller.

His initial problem may have only been a caliber issue, but he said his mechanic removed the abs module and tried to fit another one, now because mechanic never recorded the code it's a bit more serious than a caliber issue..

Op I'd tell the mechanic to pay for the svm from dealer, he should have knowing to record that code

billunnee wrote: »
    His initial problem may have only been a caliber issue, but he said his mechanic removed the abs module and tried to fit another one, now because mechanic never recorded the code it's a bit more serious than a caliber issue..

Op I'd tell the mechanic to pay for the svm from dealer, he should have knowing to record that code

Have you read the whole thread?

The OP mistakenly said ABS controller but in fact it is the parking brake controller that has been swapped.

In any case the coding issue is no problem at all for someone who knows what they are doing, as I said earlier in the thread.

**update** rang George and he was very helpful and organized the car to be booked in only for last week came back from Dublin and my partner drove the car to her friends... The car wouldn't turn over after that and rang the first mechanic and ran through him and he took the car away and said after three days he got an auto electrician to have a look at it and "he" said the control module caused all the problems so now a week on its still there and hes waiting on the part.. Such a mess it turned out to be

Advertisement