Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation

Options
  • 26-02-2017 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Guys, quick and simple. Just feedback is all, there is way to much over moderation on the site and to many moderators.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks for the detailed and comprehensive feedback.

I'll commence sacking mods immediately. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

TallGlass wrote: »
    Guys, quick and simple. Just feedback is all, there is way to much over moderation on the site and to many moderators.
    Over-moderation in what way? Stifling discussion, banning trolls & re-regs, issuing cards, what...?

And you say there are too many moderators. Why would that be an issue?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The number of moderators is a reflection of the number of individual forums on the site. There are hundreds of forums on the site, and for efficient running of the site each of those forums needs at least two moderators, and in many cases more. So I agree, there are on the face of it a lot of mods, but they wouldn't be there if they weren't needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It's just feed back from a users perspective. Take it if you want or not. It's how I feel anyway, maybe not others maybe no one at all. The way I see it in some forums you have mods falling over each other to close threads for the simplest of reasons. It's very off putting as a poster. Can there not be some sort of natural death, these topics will die anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Feedback is good, and will be listened to.

You can't just make a sweeping statement like that though, there are hundreds of forums here and hundreds of moderators. Can you be more specific?

• Advertisement

For the most part threads do die a natural death. But sometimes the same thing may have been done over and over and there's no need for yet another thread about that subject, or there may be legal constraints such as discussing an ongoing court case, or from experience the mods may know that a thread on a particular topic will turn into a sh*tstorm in no time. All those are perfectly legitimate reasons for closing a thread.

Btw, apologies if you feel your feedback is being dismissed, the questions being asked above were merely to ascertain what exactly is your experience of over-moderation and if there was something in particular that prompted this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

There's nothing in particular it's just an observation. I am just mentioning it as it might be putting people off posting threads as it can take some time to type up a thread/post only to have it shut off. I think it's like the opposite of Youtube or Facebook, it's too strict. Another side note is mods posting 'mod notes' in threads that are a bit smart or someone should challange but no one can quote it cause you'll get a warning.

If anything, maybe to summarise, it might be worth looking at scaling back on moderation. Don't get me wrong I know it's needed but it's quite heavy if you ask me.

Obviously if someone is been a tit to someone else or it's something that can cause legal issues for boards, then it's quite rightly needed.

If someone is being a tit here they get banned pretty quickly. Same cannot be said for the other sites you mentioned where it can and does take months before trolls are dealt with.

If you prefer their way, go post there, if you like our way then welcome to boards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Quick and simple. Grand the way it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

I completely agree.

The thing we have to remember is some (not all) mods trip up over themselves because they get a kick out of closing threads. A mate of mine is a mod here and he admitted this to my face. He has closed threads "because it's great fun getting aggravated messages from regular users" (his words). He even mentioned a few names of other mods (I won't mention them here) who do it to get a feeling of power.

There are some decent mods on here, but mostly just people who are lacking something else in life it seems.

• Advertisement

A mate of mine is a mod here and he admitted this to my face. He has closed threads "because it's great fun getting aggravated messages from regular users" (his words). He even mentioned a few names of other mods (I won't mention them here) who do it to get a feeling of power.

Well I have to say that this is news to me, and if any mod is ever discovered closing threads simply for the craic or to get a bit of a rise out of people they won't be mods for much longer.

Zaph wrote: »
    Well I have to say that this is news to me, and if any mod is ever discovered closing threads simply for the craic or to get a bit of a rise out of people they won't be mods for much longer.

I don't want to make it public here, but I can PM you his name if you like.

I don't want to make it public here, but I can PM you his name if you like.

I'll leave that decision entirely up to you, because if it did end up with a de-modding you still have to consider whether it would impact on your friendship. As we frequently say to people, real life is more important than Boards.

I'll leave that decision entirely up to you, because if it did end up with a de-modding you still have to consider whether it would impact on your friendship. As we frequently say to people, real life is more important than Boards.

So you're saying it would be acceptable to allow him to continue closing threads "for the craic"?

So you're saying it would be acceptable to allow him to continue closing threads "for the craic"?

No, that's not what I said. What I said was that if you wish to PM me his name you have to consider the consequences and how it may affect your friendship first.

No, that's not what I said. What I said was that if you wish to PM me his name you have to consider the consequences and how it may affect your friendship first.

It's hard to know what to do to be honest. He's a good mate but it would go against the rules of the forums to allow him to continue carrying on as a mod, don't you agree?

It's hard to know what to do to be honest. He's a good mate but it would go against the rules of the forums to allow him to continue carrying on as a mod, don't you agree?

Technically it would, but at the same time I can fully appreciate you wanting to remain loyal to your mate. Friendships aren't something that should be thrown away over an internet forum, so while it is something I would like to look into, I genuinely don't think it would be right for you to give his details if it adversely impacted your friendship.

Anyway, we seem to have strayed well off the original question, so I think I'll lock this one up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement