Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What celebrities deaths made you feel sad when they died.

• 26-02-2017 2:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Katy French as I was a big follower of her she had great fashion sense and was a stunning girl really wish she had not get into all that drug stuff.
    Micheal Jackson was a huge loss too very sad when he died. The world had lost a truly amazing singer.
    Whitney Houston also very sad and another amazing singer gone.
    Christopher Reeve the one true Superman there will never be anyone as good as him. He was a fighter right to the end and gave hope to lots of people by fighting to get back walking again.
    Robin Williams he truly was a brilliant actor another great loss.
    The great Leonard Nimoy is another I was very sad about when he died.
    Heath Ledger is another that I was shocked about when he died.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Maybe not a celebrity as such but Richard Burns wrc driver what a legend.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sooty and Sweep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 suziki832

AMKC wrote: »
    Katy French as I was a big follower of her she had great fashion sense and was a stunning girl really wish she had not get into all that drug stuff.
    Micheal Jackson was a huge loss too very sad when he died. The world had lost a truly amazing singer.
    Whitney Houston also very sad and another amazing singer gone.
    Christopher Reeve the one true Superman there will never be anyone as good as him. He was a fighter right to the end and gave hope to lots of people by fighting to get back walking again.
    Robin Williams he truly was a brilliant actor another great loss.

Katy French aswell as she was so young and her career was really only taking off when she died. Can't believe its nearly 10 years! So sad who knows what she would be doing now in her career.
    Cormac McAnallen aswell so young and so much potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

None.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anthony Foley's death genuinelly shocked and and saddened me.

He had so much more ahead of him in life, as a rugby coach, father and husband.

At 42 he was so young in the relative grand scheme of things. You don't expect a fit man like that to die in his prime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dimebag Darrell

Robin Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Prince. I idolised that man when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Another celebrity death thread? Why is Boards obsessed with this? Is it kinda like the internet version of oul farts hangimg off the kitchen counter waiting for the death notices to be announced on the radio?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Another celebrity death thread? Why is Boards obsessed with this? Is it kinda like the internet version of oul farts hangimg off the kitchen counter waiting for the death notices to be announced on the radio?
    Or, ya know, you could have just ignored the thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor - comedy geniuses who had a natural ability to make so many laugh and be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

Isla Fischer. So young and a great actress. Loved her in home and away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

philip seymour hoffman, so many great films to be had from him yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lunalex

Steve Irwin Princess Diana and Patrick swayze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

byte wrote: »
    Or, ya know, you could have just ignored the thread..

Nah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

da gamer wrote: »

Not dead

mickdw wrote: »
    Not dead

I think you'll find she is. Her mother died the day after her it was terrible.

Not sure who this Isla Fischer person is or when she died but the actress Isla Fisher aka Mrs Sacha Baron Cohen, is alive and well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

lunalex wrote: »
    Steve Irwin Princess Diana and Patrick swayze

Your sex thread got closed.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not sure who this Isla Fischer person is or when she died but the actress Isla Fisher aka Mrs Sacha Baron Cohen, is alive and well.

Ya the one married to Borat, she died the day after st Stephens day and her poor mother died the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lunalex

unfortunately true

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Alan Rickman and Robin Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I think you'll find she is. Her mother died the day after her it was terrible.

You're thinking of Carrie Fisher and her mother Debbie Reynolds.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    You're thinking of Carrie Fisher and her mother Debbie Reynolds.

Carrie Fisher as in Princess Leia from Star Wars? Your fcuking sh!ting me? She couldn't be dead. Are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Bill o herlihy

Wel leave the thread there so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

2016. Such a legend.

Ya the one married to Borat, she died the day after st Stephens day and her poor mother died the following day.

lol

You sure she wasn't actually married to Chubaka?

bazz26 wrote: »
    lol

You sure she wasn't actually married to Chubaka?

I've only just found out from another boardsie that it was Carrie Fisher. I'm in shock. When did the news break?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think your all confused

Its principle donald Fisher that died a while back

Flathead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

C'mon lads, ye are making a farce of the thread. It's about people who actually died.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Christopher Hitchens. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Robin Williams, as already mentioned.

John Hurt's passing set me back a small bit. One of my favourite pieces of acting is him as Bird O'Donnell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Steve Irwin guy so full of life his love of animals is something i like in people, such a young family as well and all the dangerous animals he dealt with the fcuking singrays kill him.

Heath Ledger was pretty sad amazing actor and had such a young daughter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Mike Weiringo
    Dwayne McDuffie
    Patrick Swayze
    John Hurt
    Bob Hoskins
    Michael Jackson
    Prince
    Heath Ledger

The first is a comic book artist-died sudden of a heart attack. HAd a really lovely style, disney by way of Marvel. Went to the gym, didn't smoke, didn't do drugs, was a vegetarian. His death and circumstances shocked a lot of his fans.

Dwayne McDuffie-heart as well. Wrote a ton of comics and TV shows-loved his writing style and how he interacted with fans.

Swayze I remember vividly-when he was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, and how he died. The guy was part of my childhood-I still get emotional watching Dirty DAncing and Ghost, and I'm a grown ass man...with a Disney collection. Anyways, the reason it hit me, was because he died of the very same illness my dad had, and I genuinely hoped he would beat the damn disease. PAncreatic Cancer is a horrific disease. Seems no amount of money can combat it tho-the survival rates aren't improving either.

John Hurt-same story. Guy was a cornerstone of so many great movies-his roles in Elephant Man and Alien cemented him within cinema. And the disease was caught early-but the darn thing had complications. F*** it!

Bob Hoskins-Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future...they are just milestones of my childhood. I love them so much, and Roger Rabbit is just sheer magic. I know how they did it, I know the creative process, I'm fascinated by it...yet when I watch the movie, I just believe the illusion is real. And Hoskins in front of the camera is key to it working. He sells the illusion when he's only acting with air. His passing was a total shock. One minute he'd retired, the next he was gone. :(

Yes-it's been said all too many times about JAckson-everything in his life became a circus, even his death.

Prince-Guy could still look cool as ice, even when doing 'Bat Dance'.

Ledger-life can be so cruel. He delivers such a chilling, enthralling interpretation of the Joker-some of who's manipulations show he's a cold blooded individual. Yet his entrance into the Dark Knight is so brilliant, so amazing. He somehow makes Batman's challenge seem all the more like a mountain. Like how can he stop a guy who seemingly has no qualms.
    And then Ledger dies-just as he should be enjoying the plaudits, he dies. I remember waking up that morning to the news he had died...I was stopped dead in my tracks. Had been viewing the trailer religiously for TDK.
    And despite the brilliance of the Joker, got the feeling he had more in the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I could put many names in this but the main one that comes to mind is Rik Mayall. Growing up with the old pipe (7 channels) i used to watch Bottom and the young ones with my brothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

River Phoenix. He was about the same age as me and I remember spending the day thinking "What a waste. How did something so pointless happen".

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Winston Churchill

I was only 4 at the time though....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Joey Dunlop and Bertie fisher.2 greats

tastyt wrote: »
    I think your all confused

Its principle donald Fisher that died a while back

Flathead

He's not dead. He's only chucked a sickie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Don't have any celebrity deaths that upset me, A few I was surprised at like Diana , George michael michael Jackson prince even Gerry Ryan , All it does for me personally is shows that no matter what you have or where you are , Death hits us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Robin Williams

• Advertisement

Don't have any celebrity deaths that upset me, A few I was surprised at like Diana , George michael michael Jackson prince even Gerry Ryan , All it does for me personally is shows that no matter what you have or where you are , Death hits us all.

TBF, Ryan brought it on himself-the shock there was his raging coke habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

100% fake news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Im expecting 2017 to take Harrison Ford or Clint Eastwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

David Bowie hit me hard, took a few days to get used to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Ayrton Senna. He really was a magnificent talent and to die on live tv was horrific and sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Maybe not a celebrity as such but Richard Burns wrc driver what a legend.

Died the same day as George Best, and there was barely a word about it.
    Colin McRae in 2007. I was devastated.

Winterlong wrote: »
    Ayrton Senna. He really was a magnificent talent and to die on live tv was horrific and sad.

Tommy Cooper went the same way-died on TV-poor guys death video is on youtube... :o
    Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Died the same day as George Best, and there was barely a word about it.
    Colin McRae in 2007. I was devastated.

Aw God, I forgot about McCrae. I remember EVERYONE had a copy of his games-on Playstation, or PC. He was everywhere.

Glenn Quinn in 2002-though I only discovered he had died about a year or two later (A weird year in 2002-my grandmother had passed away, so I didn't hear a lot of the news at the time-it was kind of the end of an era when she passed). He was an Irish actor, was in Angel, and Roseanne-gets very little mention nowadays when discussing Irish actors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mike Weiringo
    Dwayne McDuffie
    Patrick Swayze
    John Hurt
    Bob Hoskins
    Michael Jackson
    Prince
    Heath Ledger

The first is a comic book artist-died sudden of a heart attack. HAd a really lovely style, disney by way of Marvel. Went to the gym, didn't smoke, didn't do drugs, was a vegetarian. His death and circumstances shocked a lot of his fans.

Dwayne McDuffie-heart as well. Wrote a ton of comics and TV shows-loved his writing style and how he interacted with fans.

Swayze I remember vividly-when he was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, and how he died. The guy was part of my childhood-I still get emotional watching Dirty DAncing and Ghost, and I'm a grown ass man...with a Disney collection. Anyways, the reason it hit me, was because he died of the very same illness my dad had, and I genuinely hoped he would beat the damn disease. PAncreatic Cancer is a horrific disease. Seems no amount of money can combat it tho-the survival rates aren't improving either.

John Hurt-same story. Guy was a cornerstone of so many great movies-his roles in Elephant Man and Alien cemented him within cinema. And the disease was caught early-but the darn thing had complications. F*** it!

Bob Hoskins-Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future...they are just milestones of my childhood. I love them so much, and Roger Rabbit is just sheer magic. I know how they did it, I know the creative process, I'm fascinated by it...yet when I watch the movie, I just believe the illusion is real. And Hoskins in front of the camera is key to it working. He sells the illusion when he's only acting with air. His passing was a total shock. One minute he'd retired, the next he was gone. :(

Yes-it's been said all too many times about JAckson-everything in his life became a circus, even his death.

Prince-Guy could still look cool as ice, even when doing 'Bat Dance'.

Ledger-life can be so cruel. He delivers such a chilling, enthralling interpretation of the Joker-some of who's manipulations show he's a cold blooded individual. Yet his entrance into the Dark Knight is so brilliant, so amazing. He somehow makes Batman's challenge seem all the more like a mountain. Like how can he stop a guy who seemingly has no qualms.
    And then Ledger dies-just as he should be enjoying the plaudits, he dies. I remember waking up that morning to the news he had died...I was stopped dead in my tracks. Had been viewing the trailer religiously for TDK.
    And despite the brilliance of the Joker, got the feeling he had more in the tank.

Dunno if any have made me sad but Weringo did shock me at the time. Similarly Michael Turner, and Darwyn Cooke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Joey Dunlop and Bertie fisher.2 greats

Absolutely..I'd add Colin McRae and Frank Meagher to the list ,all still very much missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Terry Pratchett. He was a satirical genius. I'm quite sad I won't get to read a new Discworld novel but I look forward to reading them all to my son. I hope he will learn some valuable life lessons from them like I did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement