Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What celebrities deaths made you feel sad when they died.

Comments

Terry Pratchett.

One of the only times in my life I've shed a tear when I heard of a "celebrity" passing.

Read his books since I was a young child, absolutely devoured all of them - remember the excitement of discovering a new Pratchett book I hadn't read. They shaped a lot of how I view the world for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 carcrazykieran

Kenneth Williams
    Peter Sellers
    Frankie Howard
    Freddie Mercury
    Danny Kay

All masters at their art. Certainly brightened up my childhood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

C'mon lads, ye are making a farce of the thread. It's about people who actually died.

I'd say you're great craic on a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

da gamer wrote: »
    I think you'll find she is. Her mother died the day after her it was terrible.

You mean Carrie Fisher you numpty:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Crea wrote: »

Is Pippa dead? Fùck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Robin Williams for me.

He brought me and others so much joy and laughter with his movies and standup that I was so saddened that he couldn't find that joy for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Mike Weiringo
    Bob Hoskins-Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future...they are just milestones of my childhood. I love them so much, and Roger Rabbit is just sheer magic.

Wait. Bob Hoskins, BTTF??

Also Patrick Swayze. Love Point Break. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Hitchens
    Breitbart
    Patrice O'Neill
    Patrick Swayze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Marco Simoncellis death was devastating, I still get sad when I see footage of him racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I was just going to post about Marco Simoncelli myself.
    That was pretty sad seeing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Richard Harris (Dumbledore), Richard Griffiths (Vernon Dursley), Alan Rickman (Severus Snape) and most recently, John Hurt (Olivander). They were all staples in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone which was easily my favourite movie growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Carrie Fisher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Terry Pratchett. He was a satirical genius. I'm quite sad I won't get to read a new Discworld novel but I look forward to reading them all to my son. I hope he will learn some valuable life lessons from them like I did.

What's a good Pratchett book to begin with?

Son is 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

Crea wrote: »

I know that now. I thought it was Ilsa Fisher all this time and I was heartbroken but since finding out it was Carrie I'm devastated. What happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Diazou

Robin Williams of course. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

George Michael
    Oliver Reed
    David Bowie
    Cilla Black
    John Lennon
    George Harrison
    Tommy Cooper

Must be more . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Phil Harris from Deadliest Catch was another one that got to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Bill Paxton's wikipedia page is saying that he has died - complications from surgery apparently at the young age of 61. Hopefully fake but some major new outlets have it.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Heath Ledger and Caroline Ahern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Brittany Murphy

I just can't bring myself to **** about a dead person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

jimbis wrote: »
    Brittany Murphy

I just can't bring myself to **** about a dead person

Haha, jesus christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I've just seen the news that Bill Paxton is dead. Always liked him in Aliens, amongst other things. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

longshanks wrote: »
    I've just seen the news that Bill Paxton is dead. Always liked him in Aliens, amongst other things. R.I.P.

"How do I get of this chicken sh!t outfit?!"

Poor fella. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

"How do I get of this chicken sh!t outfit?!"

Poor fella. :(

Quit your grinning and drop your linen.

He has the best lines in Aliens... mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Only one for me....David Bowie.....still upsets me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

bazz26 wrote: »
    Richard Pryor

Agreed.Absolute legend.I was genuinely sad when Cecil Bustamente AKA Prince Buster died,The grandaddy of ska music.Also Robin Williams,I was never a fan but the circumstances of his death upset me,one of the rare examples of the old adage 'money won't bring you happiness'.Tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Jack Hargreaves. Legend. (Dumps an old lump of wood and rusted metal on the table) " Now, what do ye think That was used for? Cheerio. "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Dermot Morgan, Caroline Aherne, David Bowie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Terry Pratchett.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Robin Williams, Alan Rickman and Terry Wogan's deaths all had an impact for me as some of my favourite stars from my childhood.

The deaths of Tito Vilanova and Adam Yauch were also very upsetting for me but in a different way. Both died from cancers in the parotid gland which is something that I had myself as a teenager. Their deaths made me realise both how serious it could have been and how lucky I was. I had never really realised that dying was an actual possibility before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Alan Rickman hit me hard. I still get teary watching his movies. Same with Robin Williams

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Robin Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

longshanks wrote: »

I never really feel anything when I hear of celebrity deaths. Normally I just kind of go ahhh no and move on but I really liked Bill Paxton for some reason so I feel a bit sad over it. He made some great appearances in movies I like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Lady Diana (:() and Robin Williams (:eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Miley Cryus, to get knifed while out shopping was horrific. Shanked to death by a fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Miley Cryus, to get knifed while out shopping was horrific. Shanked to death by a fan

Also the media coverup was shocking the way they never reported it. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Elvis
    Jade Goody
    John Belushi
    Joe Dolan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

James Avery. I loved Fresh Prince of Bel Air growing up and I was absolutely gutted when I heard Uncle Phil had died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I thought Carrie Fisher dying so(relatively) young was very sad and with her mother dying the day after due to stress, just thinking about how tragic it must have all been for the remaining Fisher family

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

James Gandolfini, a tour de force as Tony Soprano.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Probably a weird one, but Terry Wogan.

Grew up watching him in the 80s and always gives me memories of the Eurovision. He reminded me massively of my father, so really felt it when Terry died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Keith Floyd.

Saw a clip of him today, he was ahead of his time.

His exuberance and chaotic style were a breath of fresh air to TV cooking, despite his financial troubles and the fact he never trained as a Chef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Satts wrote: »
    Keith Floyd.

Saw a clip of him today, he was ahead of his time.

His exuberance and chaotic style were a breath of fresh air to TV cooking, despite his financial troubles]

Another legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jeff hanneman

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Paul Hunter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Rik Mayall. I was stunned when I heard that he had died. One of my all-time favourite men.One of my first and most enduring crushes. I'm still really sad about it.

Dermot Morgan, I was in my late teens and had been listening to Dermot on the radio for years. Myself and my brother used to tape Scrap Saturday and listen to it all week. Of course Fr. Ted was also huge but I have such fond memories of his voice on the radio.

Losing Prince, Leonard and Bowie all in a row was shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

antodeco wrote: »
    Probably a weird one, but Terry Wogan.

Grew up watching him in the 80s and always gives me memories of the Eurovision. He reminded me massively of my father, so really felt it when Terry died.

Don't think that's a weird one at all.

Of all the 2016 deaths, it was Bowie & Wogan's demise that lingered a bit for me. His chat show & Blankety Blank were always on in my house & his frames of reference & gentle sense of humour would have been similar to that of many Irish men born in the 1940s. Reminded me quite a bit of my Dad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

da gamer wrote: »
    Ya the one married to Borat, she died the day after st Stephens day and her poor mother died the following day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4262936/Oscars-2017-Vanity-Fair-party-Isla-Fisher-yellow-gown.html

She was alive and well last night by the looks of things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Im expecting 2017 to take Harrison Ford or Clint Eastwood.

Harrison seems to be doing his best to give 2017 a helping hand

• Advertisement
Advertisement