Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What celebrities deaths made you feel sad when they died.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

blackwhite wrote: »
    Harrison seems to be doing his best to give 2017 a helping hand

He manages to injure himself pretty much every year, sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Carrie Fisher definitley , Star Wars practically raised me lol

Maybe an unusual one, but Bob Holness, the original presenter of Blockbusters. Loved that show as a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Some named here and some not. But the only celebrity deaths that sadden me tend to be those of people who still had loads more to give and died due to unfortunate circumstances that didn't involve drugs, alcohol, suicide or old age.

Bill Paxton has left us at age 61 from apparent complications with a medical proceedure. Great actor. That saddened me. Personal faves like Gene Wilder, didn't sadden me. He lived to a great age and had no more to give. I celebrated his passing by watching some of his great movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Mrs Woman

George Michael and Prince, both idols of mine and I took a while to be ok about Prince. George I was also incredibly sad over, I feel like the two I admired and followed are gone (which they are) and I didn't really have any others that I felt a connection to like that.

Vanessa Marquez- Actress in ER.

She was shot dead today.

https://tvline.com/2018/08/31/vanessa-marquez-dies-er-nurse-wendy-goldman-dead-49/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Tbh none. I think some are great losses to their respective fields as they had so much talent to offer, and I feel so sorry for the family who have to deal with their loved ones death especially if tragic, but I don't think Ive ever felt personally sad about a person I don't know and never met dying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I was sad that Reagan and Thatcher didn't die roaring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Charlie Chaplin.

Joe Stalin.

Bertie Bassett.

Godzilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Elvis
    Jade Goody
    John Belushi
    Joe Dolan

That was a great episode of Come Dine With Me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Dolores O Riordan. She was only a few years older than me and I’ve always loved her music. Everyone here in Limerick were all shocked and very sad when we heard she had died.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Bonfire Ahead

I don't get upset by celebrity deaths or understand the fascination with them. But of course it is possible to lament the passing of a favourite artist, etc. Philip Roth is a recent example of mine. As a fan of his novels it's a shame that there won't be any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Ian Dury. James Brown. David Bowie.

Probably to do with my age and incredible obsession with WWE at the time, but Eddie Guerrero's passing was a tough one for me.

526x297-Z5N.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Probably to do with my age and incredible obsession with WWE at the time, but Eddie Guerrero's passing was a tough one for me.

526x297-Z5N.jpg

Did he die in real life or a wrestling story-line?
    I suppose you will never know for sure....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jimmy Saville.

I was a big fan of 'Jim'll Fix It' as a kid. I didn't keep track of him in later years, but had a moment of melancholic nostalgia when I heard of his passing on the radio.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I know it's not cool to say it, but I cried when Diana died. It was her little boys following her coffin that set me off.

I also cried like a baby when George Michael died on Christmas day. He was my idol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Ian 'Lemmy' Kilmister: Motorhead was the band that started my passionate love of rock and metal music at the young age of seven. Lemmy became an idol of mine through the years and I held him in the highest regard. His passing has, so far, been the only celeb death that I got deeply depressed over. Of course, I coped by continuing to listen to Motorhead and keeping his legacy alive with my eternal love of the band.

Big Van Vader: One of the many unfortunate pro wrestling deaths to occur this year alone. He was given two years to live since his heart was failing and doctors were struggling to treat the condition, although they didn't give up and it seemed like he was improving and was going to live for a longer period of time, he was even continuing to wrestle... Then he died of a different illness.

Carrie Fisher: I've never been the biggest Star Wars fanatic, and had only seen my very first Star Wars film (The Force Awakens) in cinema the year prior to Carrie's passing, but her untimely death was such a horrible and depressing footnote on a horrible and depressing 2016. What's even worse is how her mother also passed in the 48 hours following.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Funny you say that. Two years after Eddie's death, WWE did a thing where Vince McMahon was getting into a limo at the end of an important show (the annual draft lottery), and the limo exploded "with him inside."

"Who killed Vince?" was supposed to be the BIG summer storyline, then Chris Benoit happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lena Zavaroni. Victim of anorexia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dolores O'Riordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Jim Henson.

I was a fan of Fraggle Rock.
    “The trash heap has spoken “.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Micheal Jackson. When announced that was, whaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........

Most recently, Dolores O'Riordan gave a similar reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

I am generally not bothered when a celeb dies but Tom Petty dying got to me. At least I got to see him play here once before he died

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

Chester Bennington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Bill Hicks....

Though he left a lot of material that will always be relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Jonathan Winters
    Robin Williams
    Alan Rickman
    John Lennon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Still sad about George Michael, his music was the soundtrack to my whole life growing up. Lovely fella too by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

chris cornell, very sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I can honestly say that I usually don't care very much about celebrity culture. I've read through some of the thread, and I wouldn't even know who some of the people mentioned are. Well, were.

But in recent years, 3 did get to me. The first was Terry Pratchett. I'd been a huge fan of the discworld novels since I was in my early teens, I loved the way he hid common-sense wisdom in humour, and his quirky philosophies. It wasn't a surprise so much, he had been suffering from Alzheimer's for quite a while, but I still felt like I lost a friendly, kindly mentor.

The second was Leonard Nimoy. Now, I'm no Sheldon Cooper, Mr Spock has never been my idol. But I had watched Classic Star Trek when I was very young, and later I kept watching the films, too. It was an odd feeling living in a world without Mr Spock all of a sudden.

The last was Carrie Fisher. I'm a big Star Wars fan - I know it's commercial tripe, designed to draw people's money out of their pockets for toys and collectibles, but I decided to accept that for that feeling of wonder and the occasional goosebumps the films give me. With Princess Leia, another hero of my childhood had left the stage.

I expect it's part of growing older, the people who influenced you (even indirectly) when you were little will go one by one. I'm not entirely sure how I will cope when David Attenborough joins their ranks, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Robin Williams.

I thought it very tragic that the funniest man in the world, who had brought smiles to the lives of millions all over the world, was so down in himself that he could see no joy in his own life. One of his films (Patch Adams) even showed how humour was a powerful tool as a technique to aid medical recovery.

It just wasn't fair and vividly illustrated that none of us know what is really going on in the minds of others. The human mind can project a very convincing mask to hide it's own vulnerability.

When people are that good at hiding their true feelings, it is very hard to spot the warning signs and they suffer without appreciating how much they really mean to others, because the others don't realise that they need support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking about this.
    I would not really feel sad when a celebrity dies.
    For me it is more of a nostalgia thing.
    I follow GAA, snooker, soccer.

So when the likes of Padi O'Sé, Kevin Heffernan, Alex Higgins and Liam Miller died I thought of the matches they played in and/or what they meant to the sport.

When Delores O'Riordan died it was nostalgia again, I was not really a fan of her music (It was OK)
    But, again it caused me to be nostalgic and think of that era.

I would not be one of those who would be completely distraught at the death of celebrity.
    For instance, I am old enough to clearly see that the reaction to the death of Diana was a bit odd.
    It was the first time I was alive to witness the cult of a personality, in the media etc.
    It even managed to seep over here.

Over in the UK certain songs were banned such as

'Summer Smash' by Denim:

Impossible Princess Kylie Minogue whole album had to be delayed because of the title!

I can remember radio stations in extremely sombre tones playing songs such as Don't go Away by Oasis.

There was really over the top hysteria for a few months it seemed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

John Candy.... grew up watching most of his back catalogue Uncle Buck, Only the lonely, Home Alone, The Great Outdoors, Cool Runnings. That smile he gives at the end of Planes Trains and Automobiles always gets to me.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Robin Williams.

I thought it very tragic that the funniest man in the world, who had brought smiles to the lives of millions all over the world, was so down in himself that he could see no joy in his own life. One of his films (Patch Adams) even showed how humour was a powerful tool as a technique to aid medical recovery.

It just wasn't fair and vividly illustrated that none of us know what is really going on in the minds of others. The human mind can project a very convincing mask to hide it's own vulnerability.

When people are that good at hiding their true feelings, it is very hard to spot the warning signs and they suffer without appreciating how much they really mean to others, because the others don't realise that they need support.

That movie is kinda...pants. Awakenings is far better, and I think Robin Williams learned a great deal while making that movie. It's far more true to the true story that inspired it.

The real Patch Adams...the guy that movie was based on hated it. Like, hate hate hate. It undermined his whole research with the the 'humour cures'. That and they changed the gender of one character just so 'her' death would be more traumatic. In reality, the person who died was a dude.

I think when we all discovered what was wrong with him, the Parkinsons, (I think it was well known he had depression), you could see why he would choose to end his life.

We're gonna lose Billy Connolly soon by all accounts, and that's gonna be brutal. Absolutely brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Robin Williams - I literally stopped in my tracks when I heard it. The idea that someone made us all laugh so much and be happy was so unhappy behind it all was awful.

George Michael
    Michael Jackson
    Alan Rickman
    Dolores O’Riordan

Some of my favorite artists of stage and screen

Also Princess Diana and Steve Irwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

We're gonna lose Billy Connolly soon by all accounts, and that's gonna be brutal. Absolutely brutal.

Not that soon, hopefully. He's 75 and has Parkinson's, but he's been looking very well recently and apparently has two new TV shows in the pipeline.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Terry Wogan :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

William Dunlop recently ruined me, completely horrific

I found out about Michael Jackson's death via a Michael Jackson joke. My dad sent me the following text: "Apparently the boogie has been brought in for questioning, but the sunshine and moonlight are also in the frame". Not knowing what he was on about, I responded with "what?" and received the following curt message: "Put Sky News on".

• Advertisement

Not that soon, hopefully. He's 75 and has Parkinson's, but he's been looking very well recently and apparently has two new TV shows in the pipeline.

According to Michael Parkinson, he doesn't recognise close friends or family.

So... that's usually the end stage of the disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

You can see the pain in his eyes and face. Not long before he died
    https://youtu.be/Pdji0b-MAGU

According to Michael Parkinson, he doesn't recognise close friends or family.

So... that's usually the end stage of the disease.

Apparently Parkinson was talking through his hoop. The event he was talking about wasn't even that recent - it was the GQ awards in 2016. I saw him in the Point O2 3Arena in February 2017 and he was physically slower than he used to be, but mentally as sharp as ever. He was on stage for over two hours without an interval too.

He came on stage to the Jerry Lee Lewis song, Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Peaches Geldof, mostly because of the circumstances of her death with the poor toddler left with her body for several hours. :( Just horrible to think about. Also such a tragic way for a beautiful intelligent creative young mother to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

David Bowie, wasn't expecting it. Played a big part of my life growing up. My older brother is a big big fan.
    Lou Reed also. Them two were always on in my family home. Even though I wasn't the fan, it was strange when they died. Like part of my childhood had died too....very hard to articulate!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rik Mayall - great entertainer, loved him in The Young Ones, The Great Statesman, Bottom and Blackadder.

Harry Anderson - another great comedian, actor and magician. Grew up watching Night Court, very underrated comedy series. Died suddenly earlier this year.

Both gone before their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Thomathetank

Elvis when I was young

Phil lynott

Don't think there's been any celebrity death that's upset me too much but hearing that Leonard Cohen died was definitely a bit of a bummer, as he was such a great songwriter and was still making music. Selfishly I was most upset by the fact I never got to see him live. At least he lived to his 80's, so that's some consolation.

Captain Beefheart also made me a bit sad, as I had only recently gotten into his music, and it happened during a difficult time of my life.

Also not really a celebrity but the death of Arthur Cave, the 15-year old son of Nick Cave, was very sad. Am a huge Nick Cave fan, and the documentary film "One More Time With Feeling" which was filmed after Arthur's death, during the recording of the Bad Seeds album Skeleton Tree, is very touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

George Harrison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

I was born in 1972 so a lot of the people that have been mentioned previously would have made me stop in my tracks when they died, not shocked me or saddened me but made me realise that nobody is immortal, even though some of the greats you think will go on forever, for some strange reason. I guess when you grow up with certain music/tv/film etc personalities they become embedded in the timeline of your growing up. I remember when I first heard Bowie, I remember certain Parkinson/Billy Connolly interviews etc. A coming of age sort of thing.

But the one that really made me feel sad was Amy Winehouse, I loved her voice, she seemed like a sweet girl. I always hoped against hope she'd get rid of the parasites that surrounded her and break free from the drink and drugs. She was such a great talent and had such knowledge about the music she loved. She just got swallowed up by it all, and what saddens me most is that some of the people and family that were meant to be her protectors were her biggest exploiters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aatZ9VSF7Mc

Advertisement