Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What celebrities deaths made you feel sad when they died.

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Elvis Presley (I'm surprised I had to read up to the 89th post for the first mention of him)
    John Lennon
    George Harrison
    David Bowie
    So many more already mentioned above.

I foresaw Michael Jackson's death so I suppose I was prepared for it. I watched him at rehearsal on a TV programme, he was skin and bone, and I said to my daughter, 'he'll be gone long before me'. He died just a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

nihicib2 wrote: »
    I was born in 1972 so a lot of the people that have been mentioned previously would have made me stop in my tracks when they died, not shocked me or saddened me but made me realise that nobody is immortal, even though some of the greats you think will go on forever, for some strange reason. I guess when you grow up with certain music/tv/film etc personalities they become embedded in the timeline of your growing up. I remember when I first heard Bowie, I remember certain Parkinson/Billy Connolly interviews etc. A coming of age sort of thing.

But the one that really made me feel sad was Amy Winehouse, I loved her voice, she seemed like a sweet girl. I always hoped against hope she'd get rid of the parasites that surrounded her and break free from the drink and drugs. She was such a great talent and had such knowledge about the music she loved. She just got swallowed up by it all, and what saddens me most is that some of the people and family that were meant to be her protectors were her biggest exploiters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aatZ9VSF7Mc

Sorta remember reading that, and some of the reactions of friends and family, upon hearing of her death, were 'well, that was inevitable'.

It's a darn shame.
    The song 'Back to Black' is so poignant, in light of her passing. The worst thing was, it seemed so inevitable. Like there was no other ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

Born 1992. Not too many made me sad.

Brian Lenihan.
    Chester Bennington.
    Chris Cornell.
    Bill Herlihy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was sorry about Amy Winehouse but not surprised. When I watched a documentary about her last year, the lyrics of her songs were suddenly on the screen I realised she had been a troubled soul all her life. A great voice. But I had never known the words she sang/wrote until that documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Chester Bennington killed me as he was so talented and a lot of his songs alluded to suicide I think anyway. Such a waste of talent.
    Prince, because he was a legend as well. It's sad to see such heroes go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

RockSalto wrote: »
    Wait. Bob Hoskins, BTTF??

Also Patrick Swayze. Love Point Break. :(

Sorry, same director, different actor. (Robert Zemeckis, and really a Spielberg baby).

Advertisement