Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miniature dachshund breeders

Options
  • 26-02-2017 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

I am interested in getting a mini dachshund in the next few months, however, it is proving difficult getting in contact with breeders. I have been in contact with one breeder which I found through facebook. I have emailed and rang the Irish dachshund club but haven't got a response.

I am wondering can someone suggest some breeders to me, either on this thread or via private message? I'd rather not go down the donedeal route but it might come to the stage where I've no choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I find ChampDogs a much better place to source a decent breeder than a lot of other websites. Still, you have to perform all the normal checks (KC registered, health testing on the parents, enthusiasm from the owners about their breed, a good breeder isn't quick to hand over a puppy without sussing you out first, etc.) to be sure they are reputable.

Smooth coated.
    http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/miniature-smooth-haired-dachshund/breeders?ct=Ireland&ct=Northern+Ireland&tx=&pc=&distance=

Long coated
    http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/miniature-long-haired-dachshund/breeders?ct=Ireland&ct=Northern+Ireland&tx=&pc=&distance=
    fungie wrote: »
    I'd rather not go down the donedeal route but it might come to the stage where I've no choice.
    You do have a choice, everyone has a choice. ;) There is a breed I'm interested in but I'd sooner find myself with a poorly bred dog if I got one from DD, the medical bills and temperament issues that are highly likely to crop up aren't worth having a specific breed just because I want it.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

VonVix wrote: »
    I find ChampDogs a much better place to source a decent breeder than a lot of other websites. Still, you have to perform all the normal checks (KC registered, health testing on the parents, enthusiasm from the owners about their breed, a good breeder isn't quick to hand over a puppy without sussing you out first, etc.) to be sure they are reputable.

Smooth coated.
    http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/miniature-smooth-haired-dachshund/breeders?ct=Ireland&ct=Northern+Ireland&tx=&pc=&distance=

Long coated
    http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/miniature-long-haired-dachshund/breeders?ct=Ireland&ct=Northern+Ireland&tx=&pc=&distance=

Brilliant, thanks!

If anybody knows any others can they reply here or pm me?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Whichever breeder you choose, please make sure you pick one who breeds dogs that still have legs

i.e. not like this:
    Dachshund-Miniature-Smooth-Haired.jpg
    or this:
    IMG_4160a.jpg

but this:
    dackel-bild.jpg

Noted, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

fungie wrote: »
    I have emailed and rang the Irish dachshund club but haven't got a response.

People always say this.. The breed clubs are run by volunteers with day jobs so you may need to call them more than once. TBH if I was a breeder and somebody called me once and left it at that I'd question their commitment - sometimes you need to do a bit more leg work to show you're suitable.

If you're in Dublin they have a dog expo/show on Paddy's day in the show centre in Cloughran so a great chance to meet some breeders and dogs face to face - go early thought because it get's packed!

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    People always say this.. The breed clubs are run by volunteers with day jobs so you may need to call them more than once. TBH if I was a breeder and somebody called me once and left it at that I'd question their commitment - sometimes you need to do a bit more leg work to show you're suitable.

If you're in Dublin they have a dog expo/show on Paddy's day in the show centre in Cloughran so a great chance to meet some breeders and dogs face to face - go early thought because it get's packed!

The number given on the website no longer works, so I could ring it a million times and wouldn't make a difference. They didn't respond to emails or facebook messages either so I'd be quiet about questioning commitment. However, thanks for the tip about the show on Paddy's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm one of those people who runs a Breed Club. I get loads of inquiries. I try to answer them all asap however I also do have a very busy life! We also get a lot of stupid inquiries or one liners such as " How much for your pups" or I have a dog and want to use him for breeding.

But here is the Biggie. Many many of the enquiries we get will never be getting a puppy off any of us, because sometimes they are just in our opinion not suitable to own one of our precious dogs. Word also travels fast & Breeders communicate with each other even across the different breeds.

I spend a lot of my time answering & helping these people & often when I reply I don't even get a response or thank you. So your best bet if you are serious is to start off by being a bit more polite to the people who responded on here & maybe go to visit a show & at least that way you will meet the Breeders/owners & they will know you are serious about owning the breed.

Knine wrote: »
    I'm one of those people who runs a Breed Club. I get loads of inquiries. I try to answer them all asap however I also do have a very busy life! We also get a lot of stupid inquiries or one liners such as " How much for your pups" or I have a dog and want to use him for breeding.

But here is the Biggie. Many many of the enquiries we get will never be getting a puppy off any of us, because sometimes they are just in our opinion not suitable to own one of our precious dogs. Word also travels fast & Breeders communicate with each other even across the different breeds.

I spend a lot of my time answering & helping these people & often when I reply I don't even get a response or thank you. So your best bet if you are serious is to start off by being a bit more polite to the people who responded on here & maybe go to visit a show & at least that way you will meet the Breeders/owners & they will know you are serious about owning the breed.

I don't mean to get into an argument but I was accused of not being committed or serious which couldn't be further from the truth, I was just defending myself. I have been very polite and thanked people who helped me on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Hope you don't mind me bumping this thread.

How did you get on OP?

We're starting to do some research on the breed and their suitability to our lifestyle/home.

Ideally we'd like to go down the rescue route, but we've been looking for 9 months+.

Any advice on your journey so far?

• Advertisement
Advertisement