Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheated ballast dangerous ?

Options
  • 26-02-2017 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

I've fluorescent light fixture with 2 x 5ft bulbs.

It's got two separate ballast - looks like one of them has been overheating as there's light brown heat marks showing on the main metal piece of the casing.

If I don't put a bulb in the socket that's using that overheated ballast is it safe enough to leave the ballast in place or does the ballast take a load regardless of whether there's a bulb in the socket or not ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

long_b wrote: »
    I've fluorescent light fixture with 2 x 5ft bulbs.

It's got two separate ballast - looks like one of them has been overheating as there's light brown heat marks showing on the main metal piece of the casing.

If I don't put a bulb in the socket that's using that overheated ballast is it safe enough to leave the ballast in place or does the ballast take a load regardless of whether there's a bulb in the socket or not ?

Hi. There is no load on ballast with lamp out.

Advertisement