Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat access to Lough's

• 26-02-2017 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all, over the past number of years I have fished a lot in Kerry mostly on Leane and Caragh Lough's, due to the expense of hiring boats I bit the bullet and bought my own this year. I have searched extensively for places where I can launch the boat on both Lough's with no success, can anyone advise me where I can launch a boat. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Access to the Caragh is from a public slipway near the bridge where the river exits the lake. The bridge is Quaybaun bridge.
    There's a left turn off the n70 about a half mile before the main bridge over the lower river with signposts for Glencar and the lake. Take it and drive for another half mile until you get to a right turn. Take that and the slip way is on the left. It's not used very often and might be hard to see the entrance.
    Killarney lakes are all permit controlled. You need a mooring and they're all taken. Usually someone has to die before the next on the waiting list gets a tag. They have 20 floating moorings which they raffle every year. I assume that's happened already for this year.
    Drive 20 minutes further west of Caragh and you can get on Currane easy enough. Ask in the town where the public access is. Sea-trout run has collapsed on Currane so that might not be so appealing.
    Fish farm has been fallow for a while though so we're all praying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭ChrisBan

Thanks very much, your reply is much appreciated.

Advertisement