Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Loan?

• 26-02-2017 1:55pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If I want to borrow 10k to buy a used car, what is the best option? AIB are giving a rate of 8.95% is there anything significantly cheaper available?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Your local Credit Union?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm not a member but my mother always tells me I should be. Don't I have to have a track record to get a loan or how does it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

It's very unlikely that the credit union would be cheaper than AIB. Credit unions usually charge interest rates of 10% or higher. Although they often have an interest rebate at the end of their financial year. There doesn't seem to be anyplace where you can check short term loan interest rates like you can with mortgages.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This one says they do 6.5% of car loans which is very good: https://www.secure-ssl-servers.us/stillorgancu-ie/loancalculator.aspx
    Not sure if there are specific stipulations.

Do you usually have to be a member, regularly saving for a period of time before they will give you a loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

It all depends, in theory yes you should be a regular saver but they all have slightly different rules, worth asking anyway as exceptions are not unheard of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Zascar wrote: »
    This one says they do 6.5% of car loans which is very good: https://www.secure-ssl-servers.us/stillorgancu-ie/loancalculator.aspx

Do you usually have to be a member, regularly saving for a period of time before they will give you a loan?

Some credit unions have stipulations that you must be a member for a certain period of time and/or that you are lodging money on a regular basis and/or that you can only borrow a certain number of times your shares and/or that your first loan must be a secured loan (that you can only borrow up to your saved amount and leave that to them as collateral).

for that CU you liked to: After saving for one month you may apply for a loan of up to four times your savings. Second and subsequent loan may be applied for at a ratio of up to 10:1.

yet on a different page of their website: After 4 weeks of savings you are eligible to apply for your first loan of up to 6 times your savings e.g.(savings €1,000 - Loan €6,000). A share requirement will apply for subsequent loans.

So its worth giving them a ring and checking it out, but they seem to be closed Sunday and Monday.

mickmac76 wrote: »
    It's very unlikely that the credit union would be cheaper than AIB. Credit unions usually charge interest rates of 10% or higher. Although they often have an interest rebate at the end of their financial year. There doesn't seem to be anyplace where you can check short term loan interest rates like you can with mortgages.

My credit union is from 5.9% to 7% depending on the loan type. I have never seen one with a 10% rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

My credit union is from 5.9% to 7% depending on the loan type. I have never seen one with a 10% rate.

My credit union is around 10% Every now and then they throw up an offer for 8.75% or something. Massive variations between different ones

Zascar wrote: »

I assume you reside or work in their catchment area.

Advertisement