Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Shoelaces So Long?

• 26-02-2017 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

What? What could be confusing about shoelaces eh? :rolleyes:

I now have two pairs of shoes (boots and sneakers) with two laces on each side, and one on each side is way shorter than the other. With two pairs like this and they way they're prepared, it's not accidental or cheap quality I think. But, it creates issues when tying.

You have one giant loop and one short one. You'll either trip on the big loop or double tie and that still doesn't stop the loops from hitting the ground (could either trip you up or it gets soaked in puddles). It also takes ages to try to properly fasten them.

Why are some laces way shorter than the other? And how the heck to do you tie them? :confused:

(I've searched this and can't find anything useful).

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Why don't you just pull the laces through so they match length on each side? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hmm to be honest I'm not sure about how you mean.

So on both pairs of shoes, on both the left and right side there are two laces. If I stretch them out on either side, one lace is about 5 inches and the other 8 inches. If I tie the 5-inch lace, it ties like normal laces. The second lace has too much length left over the the loops look huge. :eek:

I've found some info. online about people cutting and burning their laces. I'm not yet convinced that that's what's supposed to happen ;) For all sane things, there is a reason and a purpose for everthing lol. Also apparently lots of football shoes have really, really long laces, again, no one seems to know why...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Try lacing them differently.
    Google 'how to lace my converse' and you'll find a few different methods - the one I use leaves me with only a small amount of length to tie because of the way the laces go through and around the holes even though they're the usual long laces you get with cons. I'm describing it badly but maybe you'll understand!
    If it's still a problem just go to a shoe repair place and buy shorter laces?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Hmm to be honest I'm not sure about how you mean.

So on both pairs of shoes, on both the left and right side there are two laces. If I stretch them out on either side, one lace is about 5 inches and the other 8 inches. If I tie the 5-inch lace, it ties like normal laces. The second lace has too much length left over the the loops look huge. :eek:

I've found some info. online about people cutting and burning their laces. I'm not yet convinced that that's what's supposed to happen ;) For all sane things, there is a reason and a purpose for everthing lol. Also apparently lots of football shoes have really, really long laces, again, no one seems to know why...

Is your problem that they are too long or uneven because as the previous poster suggested, if they are uneven take the laces out and re-lace them so they are even.

Edit: just clicked on your links and see what you mean. Don't tie the longer set, just tuck them into the shoe. Then tie the shorter ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can buy them in different lengths.

• Advertisement
Advertisement