Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ring road man

Options
  • 26-02-2017 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Sorry for title couldn't think of anything fitting..
    Has anyone noticed the guy on the ring road, He's always at the Castleomer end of the ring road at the flyover bridge either under it or on the steps beside it, is he a homeless man or what ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

Yes I've noticed him too either at top of steps on Ballyfoyle rd or on or beside steps on ringroad. I'm sure gardai etc would be aware of him and offered supports if he needed/accept them.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

He normally starts the day at the Statoil service station at 9:30am, there was an article about him in the kilkenny people when the cold weather struck.
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/225872/homeless-man-in-kilkenny-city-finds-shelter-as-good-shepherd-centre-lives-up-its-name.html

Ahh I didn't make the connection.
    I heard he went back to his tent after a few days, wouldn't stay in the good shepherd.. no idea why though.. 😕 Must be so cold and damp in a tent in this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

Unfortunately his tent and all his belongings were set on fire last week leaving him with nothing, and he was gifted a tent as well as clothes etc but is afraid to sleep in a tent again in case they set it on fire with him in it, so unfair

Gosh that's horrible what the heck is wrong with some people :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Poor man I noticed him first late last summer at the weekend I be working out of Glanbia be going out there before seven am you see him at the steps the guards were talking to him one sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

He has been there since before Christmas. Shows up about 11.00am and leaves at 8.00pm. He was given accommodation in the Good Shepherd Centre but he refused it.
    The place where he sits is a mess. People bring him food/drinks throughout the day and all the rubbish is thrown all over the steps. I was out for a run one evening and headed up the steps and there he was taking a piss halfway up the steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Does anybody know how he ended up in Kilkenny, his state of mind must be bad a lot of these fellows don't feel safe in these hostels they prefer to be on there own its sad. Coming through Grafton street the night of the all Ireland 2016 its so sad to see so many people sleeping in doorways . As regards going to the toilet that's nothing new around kilkenny at the weekend getting sick, I had enough of it last Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I know I'll probably get blasted for saying this but I remember seeing normal people with already steady lives, people I'd known for decades before go absolutely off the rails during the bubble years when everyone was getting smacked up on cheap credit.

Some unfortunately left us during the crash but I believe we're still dealing with the legacy of that madness. Yet the madness of the property ladder seems to be taking over again, many seem to want the mad times back.

Oh well, that's humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

mefynn wrote: »
    Unfortunately his tent and all his belongings were set on fire last week leaving him with nothing, and he was gifted a tent as well as clothes etc but is afraid to sleep in a tent again in case they set it on fire with him in it, so unfair

Ah this all makes sense to me now. When I go for a cycle I always finish up coming off the main road, down the steep ramp and across the bridge under the Ossary bridge. I noticed the tent over the past few weeks and yesterday it was gone and the remnants of a fire there.

Poor chap hope he's ok.

There's a very fine line between having a stable roof over your head and ending up on the streets. All it takes is a major life event and it can happen anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement