Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

too old to persue a career in accounting at 54?

• 26-02-2017 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hello there ,
    Im 54 and doing a computerised and manual payroll and bookeeping course,followed on with accounting technician course .next september
    and would be 56 by the time i finish college
    im long term unemployed so financially its not going to affect me

i worked in hotel and catering ,as a chef and bar and restaurant manager for decades but now has decided on a change of career.

i just want to ask your advice on this course??

my question is? am i too old to enter the accounting profession? is it too late? any advice on whether i should persue this? would my age be a disadvantage in gaining employment after the course?
    i dont necessarily want to be an accountant, rather an administratve role,ie, payroll,accounts assistant,etc?

will prospective employers look at my age or my qualifications as a grounds to hire me or not?
    lots of questions i know, im just looking for feedback, if there is anyone out there that was in a similiar situation as myself how did you get on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

Hey there, I am currently studying to be an accountant. I am 29 and I am probably one of the younger ones in my class. there are so many people in their late 50's early 60's doing it. Do not let that stop you. Recently we got our audit completed in work by a big 4 company, and one of the trainees was in his 50's. I really think you should go for it. Don't let anyone stop you. You can do it :) best of luck.

Oh and P.S. I study CPA, in Griffith college in Dublin, and they offer distance learning also, if you can't attend class which is really handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

foggyn wrote: »
    hello there ,
    Im 54 and doing a computerised and manual payroll and bookeeping course,followed on with accounting technician course .next september

i worked in hotel and catering ,as a chef and bar and restaurant manager for decades but now has decided on a change of career.

my question is? am i too old to enter the accounting profession? is it too late? any advice on whether i should persue this? would my age be a disadvantage in gaining employment after the course?
    i dont necessarily want to be an accountant, rather an administratve role,ie, payroll,accounts assistant,etc?

will prospective employers look at my age or my qualifications as a grounds to hire me or not?
    lots of questions i know, im just looking for feedback, if there is anyone out there that was in a similiar situation as myself how did you get on?

Employers are not legally allowed to use your age as an excuse.
    However they obviously will sometimes and you will find it hard pressed to prove that they did.

However dont let that stop you from trying. Having the qualification will improve your employment chances greatly and you still would still have 10 years to go before pension age. Thats plenty of time to learn a new job and become a senior level person in it.

Employers may see your maturity as a positive in such a role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Go for it! with your operations background in hotels that would be a big advantage if you were applying for a job in accounts in hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Go for it.

8 years ago a lady started with me. She has since done her IATI and she would run rings around some qualified accountants I know. she was 40 at the time

hello there ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

Go for it !!! I say never stop learning and make yourself happy! (I'm serious) if you wish to learn/become an accountant don't ever let age stop you / hold you back !

Chin up and defo go for it is what I say !

Otherwise if you are interested and don't ever do it due to a number (age) you will have a regret for something silly such as an age

Defo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

Thank you all for your positive feedback I feel more confident now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thank you all for your positive feedback I feel more confident now

With your chefing (spelling?) background you could apply for book-keeping/payroll jobs in hotels etc while you do your course.

You've already worked on the other side and have experience in the hospitality industry so that will give you an insight and may help you settle into a role. You'd have valuable experience that many others might not have.

Advertisement