Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifts in apartments

Options
  • 26-02-2017 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭

I went to collect something from an apartment coming down in the lift it suddenly stopped and went completely dark, no emergency lighting has to use the light from a mobile phone to press the emergency bell after about 2 minuets the lights went on and the lift started to move again go the fright of my life. The collection was from the clear out from the apartment of some who has passed away I don't know anyone living in the block or have any connection to it. It strikes me that this must be dangerous especially no emergency lighting. The apartments would be have been built circa 2000/2003 and would be expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

Don't know if emergency lighting is required inside a lift; if it loses power you can't exactly go anywhere anyway, so being able to see to make your way to an exit isn't a factor.

I'd try to find the management company for the apartments in question and notify them about the issue; at least they'll hopefully send someone out to have a look at the lift before anyone gets trapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

dennyk wrote: »
    Don't know if emergency lighting is required inside a lift; if it loses power you can't exactly go anywhere anyway, so being able to see to make your way to an exit isn't a factor.

I'd try to find the management company for the apartments in question and notify them about the issue; at least they'll hopefully send someone out to have a look at the lift before anyone gets trapped.

How would you see the emergency bell if there is no emergency lights, people might not always have their phones on them

mariaalice wrote: »
    How would you see the emergency bell if there is no emergency lights, people might not always have their phones on them

Well, you can always just feel for the buttons and push them until you find the one that rings the alarm. Unlike trying to escape a building in an emergency, you're not going to trip over something or fall down a staircase and injure yourself trying to find the lift buttons in the dark or die because it took you a few extra seconds to locate the right button.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

dennyk wrote: »
    Well, you can always just feel for the buttons and push them until you find the one that rings the alarm. Unlike trying to escape a building in an emergency, you're not going to trip over something or fall down a staircase and injure yourself trying to find the lift buttons in the dark or die because it took you a few extra seconds to locate the right button.

What if you're stuck in the lift with somebody?

I have absolutely no idea if it's a requirement to have emergency lighting in lifts but it should be.

What if you're stuck in the lift with somebody?

Then it'd be best to keep in mind that the lift might start up again suddenly and the doors might open without warning when deciding how to pass the time while trapped together in a small space in the dark... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

EN81-1 requires an hour of emergency lighting at 1W which is much dimmer than the regular lighting. It could be that the emergency bulb itself was broken or that the backup power wasn't available (battery or hardline). Definitely one to highlight to the OMC to get checked.

For reference, see here http://www.gnel.ir/files/EN81-1E.pdf clause 8.17.4.

Advertisement