Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do here? getting electric turned on in old cottage.

Options
  • 26-02-2017 4:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭

Looking to find out information about getting the electric turned back on, on a cottage in the country. My brother inherited this cottage just before bust 4 hours away and was going back and forth for a few years looking after it untill his health took bad and stopped going back to it. The eletric was turned off 3 years ago and theres 1300 euro owed on it.

Now my other brother is returning home from the UK and is wanting to live in the cottage, hes wanting to know what is the process about getting the electric turned back on. We have heard if the electric is off more than 3 years in an old cottage, it needs rewired before electric Ireland will switch back on but how true this is, we dont know. Other advice were getting is a registered electrician to check everything is ok, get a cert which will cost about 300-400 then a few hundred euro to get switched back on.

This cottage was liveable a decade ago, oil heating etc.. new roof and has been rewired in the last 20 or so years.

As for the 1300 euro owed, does this need to be paid before the electric can be changed over to a new name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Won't need to be rewired unless there has been significant damage or deterioration since it was last occupied.

You should be able to get the installation tested and recertified reasonably cheaply. A cottage isn't likely to have very extensive wiring.

After that you can submit a connection application to ESB Networks. The fee can be up to €2k of disconnected for over 2 years though.
    Not sure on the historical debt, it would be linked to your MPRN so it's possible it may have to be repaid before you are reconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R11

air wrote: »
    After that you can submit a connection application to ESB Networks. The fee can be up to €2k of disconnected for over 2 years though.
    Wow, that's a huge fee to charge. How do you know this? Have you been charged this before in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

2k is the norm for reconnections after a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

As to the wiring in the house, common sense would tell you to get it fully checked out by a qualified sparx, at least for safety's sake. Its 20 year old wiring in an old house not lived in in for years.

As for the €1300 owed, if your brother is the one whom ran up the debt then yes they should have to pay it.

As for reconnection, Esb networks will need to visit the property before they can give you an idea for costs to reconect.

from esb networks:
    "A site visit may be required to assess the situation. If no additional work is required to bring the connection point up to current standards, the house can be reconnected on payment of a re-energisation charge. However, if the connection point is not up to current standards it is treated as a new connection and a new connection charge applies. You will then be issued with a quotation as a fee is payable before your house can be reconnected. You may also be required to provide ducting on the site (PDF | 1MB).
    As soon as ESB Networks installs the service and meter, ask your electrical contractor to make the electricity live at the isolator switch."

What about other charges like LPT, household charge etc? Who's liable for those?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Who's name is the house in now? Was it transferred into your brothers name when he inherited it? If so he is liable for property tax etc.

Ghekko wrote: »
    Who's name is the house in now? Was it transferred into your brothers name when he inherited it? If so he is liable for property tax etc.

It's not my thread. I'm asking cos I'm interested in a house that's a bank sale. Been vacant past 4 years, electricity turned off. So just wondering about other charges but maybe I should start my own thread and not derail this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

R11 wrote: »
    It's not my thread. I'm asking cos I'm interested in a house that's a bank sale. Been vacant past 4 years, electricity turned off. So just wondering about other charges but maybe I should start my own thread and not derail this one.

D'oh! Very lazy today so brain not functioning at full capacity :rolleyes:

Advertisement