Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Lidl fan heater a fire hazard

Options
  • 26-02-2017 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Have any of you had any issues with the Lidl industrial portable 2500W fan heater ?

It has melted the plug and singed the socket when left running for a couple of hours. .... Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Very hard to say can you take a picture?

Is it plugged directly into a single socket or through an extension lead?

2.5kw would roughly pull 10.4amps of a load so if you had a loose connection on the socket or a poor quality socket it might happen the socket would only be rated for 13amps.
    Have often seen sockets and plugs destroyed in offices where heaters have been plugged in for a prolonged period of time during the winter months

Not saying a fault may have developed in the heater as well which is possible usually if they are aware of a fault with one of their products they issue a recall which can be seen when entering the stores .

Take a picture and it might help us

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Thanks for your advice. I will take a photo tomorrow. I was using an extension today. My brother has the same heater and his plug melted when it was plugged in directly. He spoke to Lidl & they said there has not been any issues with the heater . I am probably better to buy a smaller kw heater as the Lidl one is not great for its size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Yes
    I have two
    I had to change both plugs the plugs are ****e and the melting as your described happens

I'm not a electrician but I have an electronic / electrical engineering degree and my dad was an electrician so I have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Do you think it is just an issue with their plugs? When you replaced the plugs did the replacements get very hot ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

They need to do a recall on these. Something bad will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Put a grip on it to check amps.

Poor quality sockets usually have poor connection between plug pins and busbar.

Advertisement