Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Home - which account to use?

• 26-02-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I have a Google home assistant on its way with a relative from the US in the next while.

Im just thinking ahead and the posts on here have been a great help, but one issue i see coming down the tracks is that which google account do i match it to when it arrives?

I have my own google account as does my wife and 2 teenagers in the house too and i just dont want to use my account which wouldnt allow for my kids or wife to avail of it.

What do others on here do?

I would like all of us to avail of it, so do i setup a new family google account so we can all use it and add that same account to their phones etc.?

Thanks for any tips or advice on this... as im stumped to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Access wrote: »
    I have a Google home assistant on its way with a relative from the US in the next while.

Im just thinking ahead and the posts on here have been a great help, but one issue i see coming down the tracks is that which google account do i match it to when it arrives?

I have my own google account as does my wife and 2 teenagers in the house too and i just dont want to use my account which wouldnt allow for my kids or wife to avail of it.

What do others on here do?

I would like all of us to avail of it, so do i setup a new family google account so we can all use it and add that same account to their phones etc.?

Thanks for any tips or advice on this... as im stumped to be honest.

Shared Family account seems to be the current workaround from a quick read online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Yeah, thats what i was figuring...

Any one doing this as a temp workaround?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Access wrote: »
    Yeah, thats what i was figuring...

Any one doing this as a temp workaround?

Why use a shared account though, what benefits does it give you?

I am just using my account on my home and the rest of the family use the google home, it makes little to no difference at the moment

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm doing the same wexfordman2, you can't add calendar or reminders with GHome anyway, so it isn't a big deal.

Family just use it for playing music, radio, weather, timers, asking general questions and control of heating and lights.

Only issue is that I can't play Spotify on my phone, if it is being used on the GHome. But we rarely overlap anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get a shared account.

You do not want their questions and answers and customisation seeping into your own personal account ever.

You can share Spotify to multiple accounts with family plan Access.so never locked up .

But definitely get a shared account. You can share parts of your own calendar with it .

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Get a shared account.

You do not want their questions and answers and customisation seeping into your own personal account ever.

You can share Spotify to multiple accounts with family plan Access.so never locked up .

But definitely get a shared account. You can share parts of your own calendar with it .

But why, the home cannot do anything with your calender at the moment, so what's the advantage or disadvantage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Shared account surley is the way to go.
    With further integration for services it could get very messy if you were using your primary account and all the family were doing various other things on the Home.
    YouTube, Google music and search history are already integrated so why would I want my daughter's music taste or YouTube viewing history showing on my primary account.

Its a no brainier I think.

Shared account surley is the way to go.
    With further integration for services it could get very messy if you were using your primary account and all the family were doing various other things on the Home.
    YouTube, Google music and search history are already integrated so why would I want my daughter's music taste or YouTube viewing history showing on my primary account.

Its a no brainier I think.

Viewing history makes little difference though in reality does it, it's only you that sees it and it can be cleared easily.

Also, if you look at the way it's likely to develop, it will be via multi accounts rather than a single account.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've found no issues or "seepage" from my other half using the Google Home.

No harm setting up a shared account if you want, but I found it unnecessary.

Viewing history makes little difference though in reality does it, it's only you that sees it and it can be cleared easily.

Also, if you look at the way it's likely to develop, it will be via multi accounts rather than a single account.

Having to clear search history and suggested search results is a pain. Why have to make the extra effort? I don't want to see search suggestions for Justin Beiber in my account but I want to see things I am interested in and the only way that happens is for your account to build up a profile on you. Why go to the trouble of having to go in to Youtube etc and clear out history when you could just have the one shared account that takes 2 minutes to set up

Benefits of a 'Family' account are shared app purchase across devices, media purchase can be shared etc etc. Its just much easier.
    We also have a 'Family' account calendar and each of the family enters details on it and it's way easier to track than trying to connect to multiple calendars
    bk wrote: »
    I've found no issues or "seepage" from my other half using the Google Home.

No harm setting up a shared account if you want, but I found it unnecessary.

Not sure what "seepage" is - can you explain?

I found it necessary to have a shared account when we have 5 people in the house with 3 being very active on the internet and Google etc.

• Advertisement

Lads there is GB of data being captured across your account you search history is a visual front end to a tiny portion of information captured. Google build an entire profile around every aspect of input into an account.

It's a no brainer to isolate a family account to a shared one.

It may be more embarrassing than anything if a stray email of yours finds it into vernal home in future.

Keep them separate be sensible.this is sound advice rather than red herring.

I found it necessary to have a shared account when we have 5 people in the house with 3 being very active on the internet and Google etc.

As in my OH doing searches with Google Home and the results of those changing my general Google and Youtube results. It just doesn't seem to have happened.

I suspect that Google are keeping the GHome profile separate from your general google account profile.

Hey if you want to create another account, go right ahead, I'm just saying that I've found it unnecessary.

Having to clear search history and suggested search results is a pain. Why have to make the extra effort? I don't want to see search suggestions for Justin Beiber in my account but I want to see things I am interested in and the only way that happens is for your account to build up a profile on you. Why go to the trouble of having to go in to Youtube etc and clear out history when you could just have the one shared account that takes 2 minutes to set up

Benefits of a 'Family' account are shared app purchase across devices, media purchase can be shared etc etc. Its just much easier.
    We also have a 'Family' account calendar and each of the family enters details on it and it's way easier to track than trying to connect to multiple calendars

I suppose in the end its just a personal choice as to which way to go.

For me, I view the current setup as temporary, as I expect the home, will develop into a multi account device.

I have no concerns about account history, as tbh, google recording a history of "what time is it, whats the weather like, how many pints in a litre, set a timer for 20 mins, play justin beiber" doenst really bother me (well, except for the beiber bit anyway :-) )

Shared calander has no use for home yet, as you cant do anything with a calander on home, and I think shared calanders in general are a bad idea, better to have individual calanders, and link them, which is easy to do.

I suppose in the end its just a personal choice as to which way to go.

For me, I view the current setup as temporary, as I think the home, will develop into a multi account device.

I have no concerns about account history, as tbh, google recording a history of "what time is it, whats the weather like, how many pints in a litre, set a timer for 20 mins, play justin beiber" doenst really bother me (well, except for the beiber bit anyway :-) )

Shared calander has no use for home yet, as you cant do anything with a calander on home, and I think shared calanders in general are a bad idea, better to have individual calanders, and link them, which is easy to do.

It's access to emails calendars photos contacts and all the rest that you lads are failing to see.

You've given a token for a device right into all of the above. Trust me I live in the Google world just because it's home doesn't mean it's a walled garden.

listermint wrote: »
    It's access to emails calendars photos contacts and all the rest that you lads are failing to see.

You've given a token for a device right into all of the above. Trust me I live in the Google world just because it's home doesn't mean it's a walled garden.

I'm well aware of this, having a google account pretty much defaults to most of this information being visible by google. I give my phones and tablets a token into the above as well, the home is just another device that gets a token to the same info.

I want my google home to be able to access my photos and my contacts and my calander!

I'm well aware of this, having a google account pretty much defaults to most of this information being visible by google. I give my phones and tablets a token into the above as well, the home is just another device that gets a token to the same info.

I want my google home to be able to access my photos and my contacts and my calander!

If you have kids. You may not.

I digress I think I've pointed out why sharing entire account is bad idea

You can subshare data for what your require above to a shared account.its not limited it was designed for this purpose

Can you not check your upcoming events on Home?
    I presume you will only hear events from the main calendar associated with the Google account set up on the Home

i.e. commands such as

“When/what/where is my first event/meeting?”
    “List all events for March 1st”

Again its my preference that a shared account is the way to go as it makes it much more inclusive to all users in my house and a heck of a lot easier to manage

Can you not check your upcoming events on Home?

Nope, not at the moment!
    I presume you will only hear events from the main calendar associated with the Google account set up on the Home

i.e. commands such as

“When/what/where is my first event/meeting?”
    “List all events for March 1st”

When the feature is available, based on the fact that the google home only supports one account, then yes, it will list only events in the calander of that account.

Again, I expect the device will become a multi account device in the near term, as without that, its a very limited device. Amazon are moving in the direction of multiple accounts, using voice recognition.
    Again its my preference that a shared account is the way to go as it makes it much more inclusive to all users in my house and a heck of a lot easier to manage

Fair enough, its down to personal choice really.

Nope, not at the moment!

is this not working? https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7029002?hl=en

Sorry dont have the ability to check at the moment as not at home!

is this not working? https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7029002?hl=en

Sorry dont have the ability to check at the moment as not at home!

Not for me, but it might be becasue I have a g suite account

• Advertisement

I just came here to say that, it is a very obvious feature, along with voice recognition, to be developing. Seemingly Amazon are working on these features too.

Advertisement