Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing home Fair Deal Scheme

• 26-02-2017 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Does anyone know how long the application for the fair deal scheme takes to be completed ? I have heard very varying stories. Also does a patient ever get refused nursing home care? My Dad currently lives with his wife and she feels unable to cope but we feel he is not sick enough to be in a home full time.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

scarke1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the application for the fair deal scheme takes to be completed ? I have heard very varying stories. Also does a patient ever get refused nursing home care? My Dad currently lives with his wife and she feels unable to cope but we feel he is not sick enough to be in a home full time.

A healthcare professional (his GP, Public Health nurse, geriatrician etc.) needs to sign off on the fact that he needs high dependency care, it's not just a question of either he or his wife deciding he has to go into a nursing home.
    So, yes, he can be refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

What does your dad want . If he is able to make the decision than he will have the final say . As other poster pointed out nursing home care has to be signed off by a consultant etc and you can no longer just place someone in care .

Advertisement