Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new car - looking for a suggestion

• 26-02-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys, I'm here in Ireland from 1 year and now it's time to buy a car.
    I was looking on how it works here about insurance, taxes and cars price.
    I'm a bit confused because I could see insurances at 1k plus taxes 1k, is that possible? 2k/year just thrown away?
    I was looking for a city car (let's say something similar to Peugeot 208), but I don't know if it's better to buy a hybrid, petrol or diesel.
    Any suggestion on how to start without selling a kidney?:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where are you getting the 1k for motor tax? Cars the size of a 208 generally are relatively cheap to tax.

Insurance in general is very expensive in Ireland and even more so if you hold a foreign driving license.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sharkufc

sorry, I was reading different threads here. But now I saw from the official table that it's much less, you're right.
    As for the insurance, I'm converting my driving licence (EU) to an Irish licence, but I'm not sure if that's mean that is "full Irish".
    Other than insurance and motor tax, is there anything else one have to pay to own a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The car must have an NCT once it's 4 years old, this lasts 2 years on cars between 4 and 10 years old, cars 10 years old must have the test every year, test costs €55.

More info here
    www.ncts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

sharkufc wrote: »
    sorry, I was reading different threads here. But now I saw from the official table that it's much less, you're right.
    As for the insurance, I'm converting my driving licence (EU) to an Irish licence, but I'm not sure if that's mean that is "full Irish".
    Other than insurance and motor tax, is there anything else one have to pay to own a car?

Yes, once you swap to Irish licence that means you have full Irish licence.
    When insurers ask how long you've held your licence, you should state the date you originally got it in your home country (that will be listed on your Irish licence).

Insurance might be a problem though.
    Lots of Irish insurers don't want to insure people who moved from abroad, and those who will, usually charge crazy prices.
    Do you have any driving history with insurer from your home country?
    If so, what country is that? And how many years no claims driving you had and when your last policy there ceased?

If you have the above, you might ring around insures and beg them to accept it.
    If not, then probably it's going to cost you over €2k to get insurance.

CiniO wrote: »
    Yes, once you swap to Irish licence that means you have full Irish licence.
    When insurers ask how long you've held your licence, you should state the date you originally got it in your home country (that will be listed on your Irish licence).

Insurance might be a problem though.
    Lots of Irish insurers don't want to insure people who moved from abroad, and those who will, usually charge crazy prices.
    Do you have any driving history with insurer from your home country?
    If so, what country is that? And how many years no claims driving you had and when your last policy there ceased?

If you have the above, you might ring around insures and beg them to accept it.
    If not, then probably it's going to cost you over €2k to get insurance.

Thanks for the info. I have my license from about 8 years with no claims at all. Home Country is Italy. I can ask my previous insurer to translate the no claims document. It is ceases few months ago. Do you think that this will drop down the price?

• Advertisement

sharkufc wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I have my license from about 8 years with no claims at all. Home Country is Italy. I can ask my previous insurer to translate the no claims document. It is ceases few months ago. Do you think that this will drop down the price?

Yes, it will.
    If you have 8 years no claims driving history with your Italian insurer and Your policy ceased there just few months ago, this will push your insurance premium in Ireland way down.
    You'll just need to find insurer who will accept your Italian no claims history as not all of them will.

Still don't get too excited as it will still cost you way more than in Italy (but IMO there is a chance for premium below €1000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Maybe try for something older than a 208. Something worth just a couple of k and get 3rd party fire and theft insurance to help build up a no claims policy here (if Irish insurers don't accept your Italian No Claims Bonus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Out of interest - how much was your insurance in Italy?

GavMan wrote: »
    Maybe try for something older than a 208. Something worth just a couple of k and get 3rd party fire and theft insurance to help build up a no claims policy here (if Irish insurers don't accept your Italian No Claims Bonus)

There's no reason why they wouldn't accept his Itialian NCB. As I said - not all insurers will, but there are insurers which will accept it no problem.
    Allianz is probably one of them.

Also, considering in Ireland difference in price between full Comprehensive policy and Third party, Fire and Theft is IMO negligible.

In my case it was never more than 10-15% extra for full comprehensive, with sometimes it being literally couple of euros, so I don't think OP needs to consider cheaper, older car for purpose of reducing insurance premium.

It's actually more likely older car would attract higher premium.

digitaldr wrote: »
    Out of interest - how much was your insurance in Italy?

400€~ that's why I opened this thread after seeing AIB asking me 7000euro from online website.
    Still, I don't understand why there are not cross insurer comparator website here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    There's no reason why they wouldn't accept his Itialian NCB. As I said - not all insurers will, but there are insurers which will accept it no problem.
    Allianz is probably one of them.

Also, considering in Ireland difference in price between full Comprehensive policy and Third party, Fire and Theft is IMO negligible.

In my case it was never more than 10-15% extra for full comprehensive, with sometimes it being literally couple of euros, so I don't think OP needs to consider cheaper, older car for purpose of reducing insurance premium.

It's actually more likely older car would attract higher premium.

Yes, I was thinking on a new car because of the road tax and because I saw along the street advs with 0% finance on a new car, even though I don't remember the car showroom

Advertisement