Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace push bike rear cassette, derailleur and main crank

Options
  • 26-02-2017 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I have had my bike now for a number of years and would like to replace the rear cassette, derailleur, main crank and the chain.

I am looking for advice on best course of action to do this. I am thinking to get the parts over the Internet (I'm assuming it will be cheaper), and possibly getting my local bike shop to put the parts on.

I would do a few climbs but I would also like to try and keep my speed on the flat as unaffected as I can.

I have pictures but as I am new to boards so I'm not able to attach.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ciaran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You must have some pair of balls on ya.

If you want the bike store to do the work buy the parts off them. Parts will obviously be cheaper online from bigger companies wiggle etc.

There are plenty of clips on YouTube how to do it yourself if you're looking to save a few quid. It's useful to learn how to maintain your bike yourself anyway and it's not overly difficult but will require specific tools. Aldi/Lidl will be selling bike tool kits soon this will meet your needs in the short term but obviously better quality tools would be a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ciaran01

iwillhtfu wrote: »

If you want the bike store to do the work buy the parts off them. Parts will obviously be cheaper online from bigger companies wiggle etc.

There are plenty of clips on YouTube how to do it yourself if you're looking to save a few quid. It's useful to learn how to maintain your bike yourself anyway and it's not overly difficult but will require specific tools. Aldi/Lidl will be selling bike tool kits soon this will meet your needs in the short term but obviously better quality tools would be a good investment.

I've a nice pair of balls, thanks for asking 😀

Is it a difficult thing to change yourself? Are parts different for diff8bikes? I've a road bike myself.

I had a look at wiggle and the amount of differ8parts was a bit confusing so I didn't really know where to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Depends on the lbs. Mine fit a crankset and bottom bracket I bought on CRC for 25€

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ciaran01

Depends on the lbs. Mine fit a crankset and bottom bracket I bought on CRC for 25€

What do you mean by lbs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

local bike shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Ciaran01 wrote: »
    What do you mean by lbs?
    Local bike shop
    Ciaran01 wrote: »
    I've a nice pair of balls, thanks for asking 😀

Is it a difficult thing to change yourself? Are parts different for diff8bikes? I've a road bike myself.

I had a look at wiggle and the amount of differ8parts was a bit confusing so I didn't really know where to start.

With all due respect, the bolded is exactly why you will pay more in the shop (i.e. the expertise you don't have yourself), but at the same time paying a bit more there is probably still cheaper than if you order the wrong stuff and make crap of trying to fit it. There are plenty of different parts, and not all are compatible with each other, and without knowing the model, etc. of your bike nobody here can tell you.

If you haven't a shop in mind/that you have a relationship with where this would be acceptable, then I'd take the hit on this one, and simply buy the parts from them and get them fitted. If they give you a receipt then you always have the part names/numbers to order the same online the next time around.

I would consider it highly disrespectful to walk in with a part I'd bought on line and asked them to fit it for me.

Perhaps it's just me but if I were the shop I'd be telling you to jog on.

OP what kind of bike is it?

Do you know what groupset is currently on it? Shimano/sram?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first question is why you need to change the parts you mention.
    chains can wear out, followed by cassettes. chainwheels and derailleurs would take longer to do so - how many miles are on the bike?

or is the question unconnected with wear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I would consider it highly disrespectful to walk in with a part I'd bought on line and asked them to fit it for me.

Perhaps it's just me but if I were the shop I'd be telling you to jog on.

You're assuming I just walked in with the bike!
    You're also assuming I've no relationship with the lbs.

You're assuming I just walked in with the bike!
    You're also assuming I've no relationship with the lbs.

No assumptions working off your own comment there ;)

Well you certainly didn't fly in with :D

If you had a relationship with the shop I'd consider it taking advantage which would be worse again. I speak from experience on this one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

one issue which might arise is that if you pay the shop to fit parts they've supplied, they've to stand over the work. if you pay them to fit parts you've supplied, the support offered could be limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Plenty of shops will fit parts supplied by customers, they realise some money is better than no money.

It's the same way garages fit tyres bought from the likes of eyre tyres

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

one issue which might arise is that if you pay the shop to fit parts they've supplied, they've to stand over the work. if you pay them to fit parts you've supplied, the support offered could be limited.

Also OP could end up buying the wrong parts or fail to replace a part that actually needs replacing while wasting money on a new part that isn't needed. e.g. derailleur could be ok, but all the cables possibly need changing. Or by changing cranks, OP possibly only needs chain rings or could need BB etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Bring your bike to your LBS and ask for a quote for the repairs you want.
    Then go online and check the prices of the parts AND the tools needed to do the job.
    Then go on Youtube and learn how to replace the parts yourself.
    Then....go back to your LBS and get them to do it.

What i'm trying to say is..I doubt you'll save any money doing the job yourself unless you already have the tools required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Actually I just read your post again... apologies, you didn't mention trying to do the repair yourself, you just want to get the parts cheaper?

I wouldn't have the nerve to bring my own parts to a bike shop and ask them to fit them.

Of all the parts you mentioned, do you really need a new derailleur and chainset? These parts usually last longer than a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

If I was doing all this I wouldn't do it all at once. Buy a chain and a chain removal tool (if needed) and do that yourself. If you have a nice lbs ask them show to remove the cassette when leaving it in to be replaced with their part. This will build up a relationship with your lbs and they will even sell you the cassette removal tool for next time.

Advertisement