Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

161 Octavia

• 26-02-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

I am buying a new car in the coming week

There's decent prices on the 161 octavias

Has anyone experience with these in the last year or two?

I'm just looking to find out about reliability, build quality and overall comfort

I was always under the impression these were a decent car but now it's come to crunch time I have these couple of questions

Thanks
    G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I've got a 152 VRS since new with about 50k on it now. Absolutely zero problems. Early days for problems really though but had a current model Leon before it and that was fine. After a few bad years the recent VAGs are solid.

Models with less than 150bhp have a solid rear axel, means the ride is slightly firmer but there's very little difference. Tyre choice makes a huge different to them as sound can bounce around the boot on certain brands. I'm on Goodyear's now and it's transformed the car. Driving positions spot on.

There seems to be only a small difference in price between specs, go as high as you can as basic ones can be miserable. The interior isn't as plush as a Golfs but there's no build issues. Infotainment is the same, nav is rare but a 161 can have android auto/apple car play activated if not already done.

All in all they're good, not exciting or anything but get the job done just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I've got a 152 VRS since new with about 50k on it now. Absolutely zero problems. Early days for problems really though but had a current model Leon before it and that was fine. After a few bad years the recent VAGs are solid.

Models with less than 150bhp have a solid rear axel, means the ride is slightly firmer but there's very little difference. Tyre choice makes a huge different to them as sound can bounce around the boot on certain brands. I'm on Goodyear's now and it's transformed the car. Driving positions spot on.

There seems to be only a small difference in price between specs, go as high as you can as basic ones can be miserable. The interior isn't as plush as a Golfs but there's no build issues. Infotainment is the same, nav is rare but a 161 can have android auto/apple car play activated if not already done.

All in all they're good, not exciting or anything but get the job done just fine.

That's perfect

Would you know which is the Base model is it ambience or elegance? There are also golf's available at the dealer too but I prefer the simplicity of the octavia if that believable

The model I am looking at has cruise control and parking assist which are a must due to motorway driving and a parkingly challenged girlfriend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

ghogie91 wrote: »
    That's perfect

Would you know which is the Base model is it ambience or elegance? There are also golf's available at the dealer too but I prefer the simplicity of the octavia if that believable

The model I am looking at has cruise control and parking assist which are a must due to motorway driving and a parkingly challenged girlfriend

It goes Active, Ambition, Elegance and L&K. The Scout and RS then are basically elegance specs with a few more bits tacked on and the better engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Where are you seeing good value?

Recently got quoted for a) new facelifted Octavia Ambition 171 / 172 and b) 151 Elegance.

Trading in a golf comfortline 1.6tdi 2011.

Cost to change difference between brand new car and a 151 was only about €1500!

It was going to cost me about 3K per year to move from 11 to 151 and an additional 1.5K to go from 151 to 171/172.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭dzilla

I got a 141 Octavia recently. Only advice I can give is to get the high spec one. I wish I had forked out the extra money on the elegance to have the android system and auto wipers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭wolfe

Orobhsa wrote: »
    Where are you seeing good value?

Recently got quoted for a) new facelifted Octavia Ambition 171 / 172 and b) 151 Elegance.

Trading in a golf comfortline 1.6tdi 2011.

Cost to change difference between brand new car and a 151 was only about €1500!

It was going to cost me about 3K per year to move from 11 to 151 and an additional 1.5K to go from 151 to 171/172.

are you saying you are being quoted 13.5k to upgrade a 2011 golf to a 172 octavia ambition? I presume you are talking about the 1.0 tsi with a standard colour for that price?

I was quoted 14k for the same privilige from a 131 focus zetec with 28k miles to a 171 ambition (not the upgraded one i might ad). i think i am being screwed here. can you give me the name of the dealer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Noel Deasy in Cork.

Yes, cost to change 13.5K for a facelifted Ambition 1.0 Petrol. offered 11K for golf..

Was offered 8.3K against a 151 Elegance in Dublin so cost to change for that would work out about 12K.

The spec on the facelifted model is lot better than current.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I'm being quoted 21k for a 161 octavia ambition with 10k miles

Advertisement