Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shotgun recommendations

Options
  • 26-02-2017 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I going to be getting a shotgun in a few months lads. I'm just looking for some advice as to what I would get for around 1000 - 1200. Any recommendations?
    I will mostly be using it for crows pigeon and the odd fox. I'd like a 12 gauge semi auto, new or secondhand. What make and model should I look out for.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

A bit less you can get a winchester sx3, I have one great gun, never failed me yet, but it is my first semi auto so I don't have anything to compare it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vwshooter

Get yourself a second hand benelli best semi auto

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Get anything Beretta/Benelli even Browning. Good Beretta 391 will set you back €900 second hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

If you are shooting from a hide then a semi auto is great. But if you are walking up quarry and crossing fences and ditches, then a double barrel is better from a safety viewpoint imho. Just open the barrels before you cross the obstacle, and snap the gun shut when you are across, it's also easier to check if there is mud, snow etc in the barrels. Plus you have option of different chokes in two barrels, with a semi/pump you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭eoin.d

Alot of my shooting in from a hide gunny123 so il go for the semi auto. With the beretta 391 there seems to be a few diffrent models. Is there much diffrence between them? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Dont pass up a Remington 1100 or 1187 or Mossbergs semi autos.The 1100,is a great gun,if a bit heavy.It is a easily customisible model as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I always like the old browning A5 humpback, i think the British army used them a bit. Had a mossberg pump action for a while, i didn't think it was going to be anything decent, but i really got to like it.

Looking at a few yesterday, alot of very clean 2nd hand shotguns out there. Seen a new beretta a300 outlander really nice gun and perfect fit. But it was a synthetic and I'd nearly prefer timber. Are these a entry level beretta and what are they like?
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far lads

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

I have a Beretta A400, It is the first gun I have owned but shoot with a group of lads with a varied selection Benelli, Winchester etc.
    They all thing it is a great gun and so do I. Probably not the best gun out there and I am sure you will get other varying opinions but I really like mine and it never lets me down.

You should get a gun that suits you. Try as many as you can as it's a fairly big purchase and you will probably have it for a few years so take your time and don't be afraid to wait and spend a little more to get the right gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

Ive a lovely Beretta 700 in the for sale section for €700ono if your interested. Also 5 or 6 boxes of ammo and a new leather cartridge belt included in the sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SureHowBad

eoin.d wrote: »
    Looking at a few yesterday, alot of very clean 2nd hand shotguns out there. Seen a new beretta a300 outlander really nice gun and perfect fit. But it was a synthetic and I'd nearly prefer timber. Are these a entry level beretta and what are they like?
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far lads

I have shot all sorts of game for the last few years with a Beretta A300 Outlander timber and, to be honest, for the money, I can't fault it. Lovely gun to handle and never misses a beat! Its my roughing around gun and to that effect its handled accordingly; keep the action and barrels oiled and a strip clean now and then. It's bomb proof to be honest and couldn't recommend one highly enough. Having said that there is nothing wrong with a S/H Al391 or Winchester SX3. But If I had to change it again in the morning I would go out and buy another one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

hedzball wrote: »

What is the procedure for importing a gun from the UK? Is it a painful process? Looks to be much better value than locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

If it's an A400 your after I see courtlough have a few second hand ones on their Facebook page. " gunroom at courtlough "

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Gravelly wrote: »
    What is the procedure for importing a gun from the UK? Is it a painful process? Looks to be much better value than locally.

I'm just after bringing one in from the uk. The shop wouldn't ship to the republic so I got them to send it to mccloys up the north. Then my local Rfd brought it in from there. €100 this all cost.

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I got sorted after, a friend decided to sell his browning maxus to buy a new rifle. It was well minded and got very little use. Just waiting for licence now

Advertisement