Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less than minimum notice given by tenant

Options
  • 26-02-2017 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I rent and wish to terminate my tenancy. I understand I need to give 56 days notice to my landlord based on how long we've been staying here. If the landlord agrees, can we leave earlier? It would suit me in terms of money, and i think it would suit my landlord, it's an in demand area and they may just want to refresh the place and get new tenants. If this is possible how can I go about it formally? I'll ring and chat to them, but I just want to see what I need to do officially?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yes you may mutually agree to shorter notice. Have a word with them first and agree your notice then follow it up with written notice with the agreed length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Yes you may mutually agree to shorter notice. Have a word with them first and agree your notice then follow it up with written notice with the agreed length.

Perfect, thanks for the quick reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

It is possible to end the tenancy early but only if the landlord agrees with you. Give the landlord a ring and make sure he is agreeable first, then write a simple letter with your name, address, landlords name and address stating that you are ending the tenancy on such a date. Remember to date the letter. Check that your landlord won't penalise you for ending the contract early by withholding some of the deposit.

Advertisement